Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Thing is Ponky when you refer to THAT January window.

Arsenal spend £15 million on Arsahavin

We spend £3 million on Heskey

Big difference.

Did MON have funds then to spend more at that moment in that Jan window?

I don't think he did .

Obviously heskey didnt work out - and was a mistake. But Carew was injured at the time and think the thinking was that maybe Heskey could be target man for Gabby to feed off . It didn't work out but i think the notion he did have funds to spend a fair bit in that window at that time are probably wrong imo which is why went Heskey route.

Agree MON had his faults but also agree he was very good for us which shouldnt be erased with revisionism by some (not yourself obviously)

Or quite simply, Heskey was his only transfer target upfront. There could have been funds for Bent, or O'Neill simply felt the squad was good enough with the addition of Heskey to get forth. It backfired expertly.

Like most I think he was a great Manager for us, I am just really pissed off with him the way he left us, ruined our season before it even started.

We as fans had to tolerate that, meanwhile he was busy trying to grab an extra few Million out of Villa while us fans are struggling to get the money for games.

I find the anger towards moscow strange and TBH just another reason for some to do what they did while MON was in charge.

Have spurs fans been angry and annoyed with harry for playing the kids in europe? No, because despite being a deluded fan base even they know they haven't got the squad to challenge for top 4 and europa league. MON however is a shit manager because he didn't turn a relegation battled squad into top 4 challengers and europa league challengers in a couple of years of spending. We were sitting in 3rd and he made the decision that our best chance of getting 4th was saving our best players for league games. Hardly madness.

It didn't work, we dropped but it shouldn't be forgotten that arsenal spent big in january and went on a 21 game unbeaten run.

And i can't believe someone who supported houllier while we fought to stay in the league could say he was glad MON left after we just had our best season in years :lol:

Have spurs fans been angry and annoyed with harry for playing the kids in europe? No,

different scenario. If Harry played a full team in first leg and then through the kids into the 2nd leg with the game still winnable they would be. Plus also Spurs played a B team vs Shakhtar in same round we played CSKA and fans were livid

I find the anger towards moscow strange

Why a manager throwing a cup tie were we could have won the tournament, Im sure you re one of people who went nuts at Gh for the Man City game last season and dont say its different situation

I don't understand how anyone can say they don't understand why fans were pissed off with Moscow. We chucked a good UEFA run away. I didn't understand it at the time, I don't understand it with the hindsight provided that we didn't end up cracking the top 4 that year anyway.

went nuts at Gh for the Man City game last season and dont say its different situation

Why can't i say it? Because its true?

Were we sitting in 3rd with a tiring squad and a good chance of finishing 4th? Nothing like the situation houllier was in.

Oh god, your love in with MON continues. I love the reason for us falling behind was due to Arsenal spending, when in fact it was MON's fault to only bring in Heskey. The money was there too as proved the following summer.

Oh and amazingly you managed to fit Houllier into your post AS USUAL top marks.

Oh and nobody said MON is a shit manager but as usual you play with words to try and get a bigger impact.

went nuts at Gh for the Man City game last season and dont say its different situation

Were we sitting in 3rd with a tiring squad and a good chance of finishing 4th? Nothing like the situation houllier was in.

You simply can't try and defend throwing a cup game when one manager does it but be vehemently against it when another does it. :lol: Both situations in essence are the same - playing a weakened team in a cup in order to get benefit in the league. There is no difference there.

You simply can't try and defend throwing a cup game when one manager does it but be vehemently against it when another does it. :lol: Both situations in essence are the same - playing a weakened team in a cup in order to get benefit in the league. There is no difference there.

No there was a massive difference. The cup game against City was in a period where we had very few fixtures (We had Wolves the next weekend then two weeks till the next game). Also last year the FA cup was our only chance on success and after The Scum won the league cup people wanted us to put in a big effort in the Fa cup.

The Moscow game was a second leg where we were behind (or drawing, either way they had the advantage) which involved sending the players on a trip to Russia. We were in a great position to get into UCL (our holy grail at the moment) and the decision to focus on it made sense.

I think there's plenty of reasons we can be against one instance and not the other.

Have spurs fans been angry and annoyed with harry for playing the kids in europe? No, because despite being a deluded fan base even they know they haven't got the squad to challenge for top 4 and europa league. MON however is a shit manager because he didn't turn a relegation battled squad into top 4 challengers and europa league challengers in a couple of years of spending. We were sitting in 3rd and he made the decision that our best chance of getting 4th was saving our best players for league games. Hardly madness.

clearly you are wrong as i live near tottenham and know plenty of spurs fans and they are furious candleface has not taken it seriously as they feel they can win it.

just because the media choose not to highlight it doesnt mean spurs fans are not unhappy about it.

supermon made a mistake with that game and since that game we absolutely imploded. he rested players for the next league game which failed to do anyway. so he acted like a fool, had we won it may have been justified but we didnt win

Sorry Mantis, there is a big difference here. Very different situations. Neither was the right decision, although in fairness to MON I could see why he did it (although I didn't agree with it). Houllier's was just a shocking decision any way you look at it.

Sorry Mantis, there is a big difference here. Very different situations. Neither was the right decision, although in fairness to MON I could see why he did it (although I didn't agree with it). Houllier's was just a shocking decision any way you look at it.

There are differences, but in essence they are the same - putting out a weakened team in order to hopefully do better in the league. To be for one (doesn't matter which one) and against the other is hypocrisy of the highest order.

There are differences, but in essence they are the same - putting out a weakened team in order to hopefully do better in the league. To be for one (doesn't matter which one) and against the other is hypocrisy of the highest order.

If you ignore all the issues surrounding both scenarios then yes it's pretty hypocritical, however i think ignoring those issues is pretty idiotic and pointless.

Like its been pointed out the situations are different and therefore the decisions can be judged differently.

Â