Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Nah, there was still alot of shit under MON. We were just fortunate that we had a better team then to grind out draws or pick up the odd win. Hull away (1-0, late OG from Young cross) was one of the worst Villa performances I've ever seen, I honestly don't recall us having more than about 2 shots on target against one of the leagues worst sides, but a bit of a great cross from young late on and we come away with 3 points. AMc doesn't have the luxury as alot of our better players have been sold off and he's not really been given the cash to replace them.I want AMc out, but MON had some equally awful games with a much, much, better side.

Nah, there was still alot of shit under MON. We were just fortunate that we had a better team then to grind out draws or pick up the odd win. Hull away (1-0, late OG from Young cross) was one of the worst Villa performances I've ever seen, I honestly don't recall us having more than about 2 shots on target against one of the leagues worst sides, but a bit of a great cross from young late on and we come away with 3 points. AMc doesn't have the luxury as alot of our better players have been sold off and he's not really been given the cash to replace them.I want AMc out, but MON had some equally awful games with a much, much, better side.

Of course he had some bad games, any manager does. The Hull game wasn't pretty but we won and kept a clean sheet - that is a mark of a good team and it meant that we came away happy with three points.

To put it in context we were playing in Europe at the time and i think were about 3rd in the table at that game. It was 2 days after a game against Arsenal as well, that is exactly when you need to grind out a result.

I had a look at the results around then and it shows how much we were competing at that time. In amongst it were some poor performances, but we still got results, some great performances, and some amazing games -basically it was a fun time.

Arsenal (A) Won 2-0

Man Utd (H) Drew 0-0

Fulham (H) Drew 0-0

Everton (A) Won 3-2

Bolton (H) Won 4-2

West Ham (A) Won 1-0

Arsenal (H) Drew 2-2

Hull (A) Won 1-0

West Brom (H) Won 2-1

Sunderland (A) Won 2-1

Portsmouth (A) Won 1-0

Wigan (H) Drew 0-0

Blackburn (A) Won 2-0

Of course he had some bad games, any manager does. The Hull game wasn't pretty but we won and kept a clean sheet - that is a mark of a good team and it meant that we came away happy with three points.

But that's my point, we did have a good team then! We had a midfield with Barry, Young and Milner. Petrov was probably our worst regular starter in midfield that season, now he's our best. The difference between MON's poor football and AMc's poor football is that MON had the fortune of having match winning players.

To dislike AMc is one thing (I voted I want him out, fwiw) but to then try and say "MON is better because his results are better" is ridiculous. Of course they are, did you see the team he had in comparison to what we have now?

I had a look at the results around then and it shows how much we were competing at that time. In amongst it were some poor performances, but we still got results, some great performances, and some amazing games -basically it was a fun time.

Arsenal (A) Won 2-0

Man Utd (H) Drew 0-0

Fulham (H) Drew 0-0

Everton (A) Won 3-2

Bolton (H) Won 4-2

West Ham (A) Won 1-0

Arsenal (H) Drew 2-2

Hull (A) Won 1-0

West Brom (H) Won 2-1

Sunderland (A) Won 2-1

Portsmouth (A) Won 1-0

Wigan (H) Drew 0-0

Blackburn (A) Won 2-0

That was a run of 13 league games with out defeat. Winning 9. That included games against Arsenal home and away, Man Utd at home and Everton away. **** me a run like that seems like an impossible dream now.

Some great games in amongst that run as well. Arsenal away we were superb, that last minute Ash winner at Everton, and Zat Knights last minute equaliser against Arsenal.

Can also remember coming out of Ewood Park in early Feb after comfortably beating Blackburn 2-0. About 6k away fans and a great atmosphere. My Liverpool supporting mate text me saying never mind qualifying for Champ Leagues you can win the league. We were held in that high regard.

Hard to believe that was only 3 years ago.

I'll remember the win over United, and the cup runs, but I won't forget the absurd transfer policy, utter surrender of 4th place, European football and his refusal to sign an out and out striker. I reckon had he had the desire to spend £20 million on Bent, we would have finished closer to 4th in 2009-2010. In my opinion of course.

I cant get over how he signed Richard Dunne, a player nearing 30 years old for £5 million on a 4-year deal, James Collins at 26 on a similar time frame, we signed Habib Beye aged 31 to a lucrative 3 year deal, Emile Heskey aged 31 on a three-and-a-half year deal. Long contracts for ageing players with little or no re-sell value for the club.

£7.8 million for Carlos Cuellar who was played out of position too often at right back, the millions wasted on Curtis Davies, along with 8.5 million on Reo-Coker (who left on a free) who was regularly played out position. O'Neill spent £120million on transfers during his tenure here and yes we got good money for Downing, Young and Milner but when you add on wages it's an incredible sum for what was achieved. We had some very good signings in Petrov, both Young's, Milner, Friedel, Carew (for the most part).

Yes, we were struggling when he arrived, he brought a feel good factor, it all quickly soured though, when you question the gospel as read by Martin O'Neill. Say what you will about the conduct of Nigel Reo-Coker but to get reportedly in a fight with one of your staff is truly pathetic, he was a manager wholly committed to 4-4-2.

Fitness was a key problem and we conceded a lot of late goals under O'Neill our players would often look dead on their feet, remember what John Terry said after they destroyed us 7-1: "We knew Villa would tire after 55-60 minutes and that if we kept passing the ball, spaces would appear and chances would come."

At least Houllier was trying to address the fitness concerns during his short time here and get the overall fitness levels to a better standard. MON ruled that dressing room with an iron fist, look at the off the field discipline problems we had after he left.

I don't care how many fans he had, you don't resign 5 days before the start of the season. It ruined the first half of the season and left us to really on an inexperienced number of youth until the next transfer window. It was pretty obvious if you're one to believe what Barry Bannan said at the time was that he was secretly pining for the Liverpool job.

I'm amazed he signed a three year deal with Sunderland, he must have been promised a lot of spending power.

Imagine if Laursen didn't have to retire.. :(

Excellent player. I think it needs to be remembered though that in our two best seasons in recent history, 08/09 and 09/10, in 08/09 he only played for half the season and he'd retired before the 09/10 season. In 09/10 we had the 4th best defence in the league. We therefore did very well in the 18 months after he was injured/ retired.

But that's my point, we did have a good team then! We had a midfield with Barry, Young and Milner. Petrov was probably our worst regular starter in midfield that season, now he's our best. The difference between MON's poor football and AMc's poor football is that MON had the fortune of having match winning players.

To dislike AMc is one thing (I voted I want him out, fwiw) but to then try and say "MON is better because his results are better" is ridiculous. Of course they are, did you see the team he had in comparison to what we have now?

Lets not forget that he bought or helped develop those better players - when he took over Barry was rated about 3 million quid, Milner was a decentish right midfielder and Ashley Young played for Watford - clearly he has to take credit for making these players part of a midfield that had those results.

Lets not forget that he bought or helped develop those better players - when he took over Barry was rated about 3 million quid, Milner was a decentish right midfielder and Ashley Young played for Watford - clearly he has to take credit for making these players part of a midfield that had those results.

And I agree with you. But that's over £20m worth of player there. How can AMc possibly do this when so far he has a net profit of £25m!

MON got us to a place. He left (for whatever reason). Our trajectory was more upward than downward. Since then we have decided to appoint two managers who know how to take all that momentum we had forward and turn it into a negative spiral. Its not getting rid or losing MON is the problem its everything afterwards. We have gone from being a team to be reckoned with to a team who are rubbish.

I'd also argue that the gutless, defeatist tripe that was served up at WHL two weeks ago was up there with most of the above. The only reason Spurs didn't score 5 or 6 was because they couldn't be asked to get out of 2nd gear.

Absolutely this.

The game at WHL was probably the worst performance I've seen since DOncaster away under O'Leary.

It was that bad

Does anyone want to see him do well? Not at the expense of Villa obv, but if he capitulates will you celebrate?

If he gets them top 7 this season, it would be a significant two fingers to Randy.

If im honest I hope he fails miserably over how he left us?

The point is no one actually knows why he left us. Several theories have been offered, but none have been proven. All are plausible, but none are facts.

What is a fact is that Randy for whatever reason has decided that its best to choose two fairly dreadful managers and try and return Villa to the state he found us in, with the good captain McLeish at the helm.

Â