Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

I once went one better when I was younger. My gf at the time expected better presents than I could afford on a Sainsbury's chicken roaster's wage, so I made a slapdash "voucher" on Word for a day's shopping followed by dinner at an undefined point in the future. Needless to say, she was underwhelmed. We never did go shopping either, so at least when the callous harridan ripped out my heart a couple of years later I was about 100 quid up.

Some women's attitude towards their right to expensive presents can be shockingly amusing.

A woman I used to work with, not so long ago, was telling me how her boyfriend had bought her a very nice stereo system, for Christmas.

What did you get him, I asked her, and she told me, it was a picture of herself.

I did laugh. :D  

• Like 1

I once went one better when I was younger. My gf at the time expected better presents than I could afford on a Sainsbury's chicken roaster's wage, so I made a slapdash "voucher" on Word for a day's shopping followed by dinner at an undefined point in the future. Needless to say, she was underwhelmed. We never did go shopping either, so at least when the callous harridan ripped out my heart a couple of years later I was about 100 quid up.

See I'd say that's still preferable to money in a card.

Even if you have the best of intentions with cash in a card, in my opinion it just screams thoughtlessness, even if it isn't.

See I'd say that's still preferable to money in a card.

Even if you have the best of intentions with cash in a card, in my opinion it just screams thoughtlessness, even if it isn't.

I agree with the cash thing. I'm still never making one of those vouchers ever again.

It was going to be for the shopping that day. I think paying £100 for a meal and £50 to spend out in brum is alright, its certainly something I've never done for someone before, its a lot of money to me.

I wasn't just going to whack the dosh in the card, I'm going to put it in its own girly envelope and tie it up with ribbon with a note on it saying it has to be spent when we go shopping.

I'll also now be changing food venue & time :P

• Like 3

It was going to be for the shopping that day. I think paying £100 for a meal and £50 to spend out in brum is alright, its certainly something I've never done for someone before, its a lot of money to me.

I wasn't just going to whack the dosh in the card, I'm going to put it in its own girly envelope and tie it up with ribbon with a note on it saying it has to be spent when we go shopping.

I'll also now be changing food venue & time :P

Yeah it's not the value of the cash. 

It just doesn't seem very thoughtful, even though you clearly have thought about it.

I may go the homemade voucher route then saying it entitles her to £50 worth of shopping - worded more romantically obviously. Keep the money on me and pay for what she wants to get when we go shopping. I can't afford a gift & the £50 so I'll turn it into something fun instead.

Cheers for the advice :thumb:

Because I like receiving gifts in return. It would be selfish of me to just accept gifts without treating other people too.

Oh and to pre-empt the 'why do you need to do it on an arbitrary day, why couldn't do it any other day' question, I do, we treat each other quite regularly but its nice to mark the one year of us being together by doing something nice. I don't have to, I want to.

Why do people buy presents? I find that part of our culture very odd.

I think it's all part of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system.

Yep, first step surely?

Demonstrate your value!

• Like 1

Â