Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

well we have been back together for a bit now but I still have not proposed, its a huge deal for her but it just aint for me. I said I would propose but shes still waiting ha, im a sucker for brushing things under the carpet and the past three days we have argued about it. had a big row last night over, what happens will happen I suppose.

Stop being such a self important prick and propose then (assuming you love her). If you don't love her, wtf are you playing at. Get a grip. Marriage is a commitment as much for the kids as the couple. Man up mate. If it means that much to her, what's the issue?

haha bloody hell mate that's a bit harsh, yeah I do love her and I understand the whole kids thing and commitment. cant help that I don't want to get married, we will though and I will be doing it for her.

Why don't you want to get married? Cost? Don't believe in it? 

we wont be spending a fortune so no that aint the issue, it just aint for me but it looks like its something im going to have to do. once we are married I will be ok no doubt and will wonder why I made such a fuss.

well we have been back together for a bit now but I still have not proposed, its a huge deal for her but it just aint for me. I said I would propose but shes still waiting ha, im a sucker for brushing things under the carpet and the past three days we have argued about it. had a big row last night over, what happens will happen I suppose.

Stop being such a self important prick and propose then (assuming you love her). If you don't love her, wtf are you playing at. Get a grip. Marriage is a commitment as much for the kids as the couple. Man up mate. If it means that much to her, what's the issue?

haha bloody hell mate that's a bit harsh, yeah I do love her and I understand the whole kids thing and commitment. cant help that I don't want to get married, we will though and I will be doing it for her.

I wouldn't get married just for somebody else mate. You got to want it to.

Unless either of you are religious why get married anyway? It just complicates things.

if we don't get married we will brake up which is bad enough but then the biggest heart breaker will be not seeing the kids as much and not living with them. we will get married then she will be happy and she will get off my case.

RV, sorry if it's out of turn to say, but your missus is bang out of order for giving an ultimatum like that - "get married or it's over"

• Like 1

Why would she leave you if you don't get married?

because she needs the commitment and shes fed up of putting her life on hold, its her dream.

RV, sorry if it's out of turn to say, but your missus is bang out of order for giving an ultimatum like that - "get married or it's over"

I agree with you but couples break up a lot over this marriage thing

Why would she leave you if you don't get married?

because she needs the commitment and shes fed up of putting her life on hold, its her dream.

I agree with you but couples break up a lot over this marriage thing

Fair enough. Marriage isn't the commitment it used to be years ago so I guess do what you gotta do to make her happy.

if we don't get married we will brake up which is bad enough but then the biggest heart breaker will be not seeing the kids as much and not living with them. we will get married then she will be happy and she will get off my case.

*break*

I agree with the previous poster who said that's certainly out of order to say something like that, assuming she's actually said it and you've not just assumed. Surely if you love each other, what's the problem if you don't get married? A bit of paperwork and a ring can't mean that much compared to you, can it?

My parents didn't get married until 2008, after they'd been together over 22 years. Never really understood the fuss myself, but then maybe that's because I grew up with unmarried parents.

A lot of women are funny about marriage though. They've dreamed about their wedding day since they were kids so it means a lot more to them than it does to guys for the most part. I'd ask her if it was her dream to be married, i.e. have that commitment for life, spend the rest of her life as Mrs... RugeleyVilla and have all that comes with it, or if it's solely for the one nice day where she's the centre of attention. It's okay to enjoy that day and look forward to the spectacle, but it can't be the only reason. Marriage is more than just the one day you get up in front of people and say 'I do'.

Not that I want to get too personal, RV, but you said that the two of you have cheated on each other a few times too, right? Do you think that she is in a position to be completely committed and faithful for the rest of her life? I assume you're not entirely sure for your part, either that or you have other reasons for not getting married.

It's more complicated due to your lad and the other kid on the way though. They have to come first and you have to do what's best for them. I'm sure they'd both be better off growing up with their dad living with them and their parents being together. The only scenario I'd say that wasn't for the best is if you and your missus don't love each other. I don't think a loveless marriage is a good environment for a kid to grow up in, personally.

I think you have to weigh up the good and bad and make the decision that is best for your kids, because they are the most important thing. I understand it must be a difficult time of your life right now, with your girlfriend giving you an ultimatum like this, another nipper on the way and the realisation you're going to have to make some big changes. Maybe this is a good time to make a fresh start. Get married, kick the drugs for good and realise you're lucky that you have a home and a family who loves you. 

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, mentioned this in passing on the "things that piss you off" thread, but here goes.

Met this girl by chance, really good conversation, hit it off, etc etc, she asked me for my number.

Texted her two days after that (i.e. yesterday), asking about something about her that I was curious about. She took a while to reply, two texts (that didn't feel as great as our face-to-face conversation did) later I decided to, uh, show that I was doing something by waiting for an hour before responding.

Anyway, long story short, the conversation could have been better, but eventually I asked her if she was free this weekend. "Not this weekend, but I'm probably free the next" she replied. "Why?" I told her that since we don't share classes, I'd like to keep in contact with her, and I told her that I'd like to grab a bite with her or something, maybe show her around the place (she's new to the city). Took her 2 hours I think, maybe more? before she replied, but basically she said that she'll be free next weekend. 

Now, because I'd been waiting for hours for her reply (and gotten a bit sick of it), I decided to play some games by putting off my reply until the following morning, i.e. today. It was already almost 10 by then anyway.

No reply from her since then, none at all, and it's been the entire freaking day.

Any advice? No corny jokes please, the last time I asked for advice on this thread...

Edit: Actually, more concerned about what's going on in her bloody mind than really needing advice on what to do!

Edited by legov

Â