RIP Gary Speed

RussG

Awful news. A cracking player who never took the piss regards showing respect to his own and other clubs supporters.

I've a friend who suffers from mental illness and it's a constant battle every day, and without professional help they, and you, feel helpless. Luckily she is getting professional help and counselling. Thing is you honestly don't know how bad they are. I could speak or be in her company and she'd be fine, great even, then literally about 10-15 minutes later I'd get texts or calls from her saying she was going to end it all, to look after her dad and stuff. It was so hard to deal with being the one they looked to, and looking back, in hindsight there are times I could've handle things better.

As i've said to friends, if there is one good thing to come out of this tragic situation regards Gary Speed, it is an awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

People in this very thread have said the only thing that STOPPED them killing themselves is family, so I would say it does make a difference.

Not always the case. It can just take a simple thought like 'they're better off without me' to eat away at a person.

To the average person who doesn't suffer from mental illness, it's baffling, but it does happen more often than gets reported.

Point being you can justify suicide as the best option in that state of mind.

We don't know if that's the case though, with Gary Speed, so it's best to wait and see if anything is brought up.

No idea how a millionaire with a family

In these situations I don't think that makes a blind bit of difference

Fully agree with this.

People in this very thread have said the only thing that STOPPED them killing themselves is family, so I would say it does make a difference.

I'm sure it can.

But by the same logic I can say Speed (IF it was depression) and, for example, Encke, took their own lives and they had family so it doesn't make a difference.

Obviously different situations and different people produce different results.

My cousin has a friend who's dad killed himself.

They were going on holiday, car was all packed full of suitcases, everyone got in, and the Dad said "I've just got to pop back inside to get something"

Went back in the house and hanged himself.

I'm sure there are people who wouldn't have done that because of the family they're leaving behind. but clearly some people do.

The point I was making was you can't say people with money and family can't be that unhappy, because for some people it doesn't make a difference how much money or family they have, it can still be bad enough for them to kill themselves.

I dont understand though, does certain type of depression just make you act normal around all who matter then do something like this, surely its more a form of a mental break?

I wasn't aware that depression could be normal around everyone family, friends, do normal everyday things along with tv appearances and pictures with fans etc, but still be ill all the rest of the time.

I'm of the opinion that the number of people out there who are either being treated for a mental health disorder or in need of treatment, is staggering.

I firmly believe that for many people, life is like walking a tightrope, but even their closest loved ones have no idea that they even have a problem because there is such a stigma associated with depression/anxiety, etc., and a fear that if found out, it could damage their relationships and career.

I also think the stigma is compounded for men, and in particular, men in vocations that are dominated by men (sport, public safety, building trades, military, etc.)

At the end of the day, the people that know us best are ourselves, and if Gary Speed did kill himself, then he was clearly grappling with problems for a long time, and they became insufferable. I wonder if he was in treatment. But I'm guessing he wasn't.

Hopefully the high profile nature of this case brings the discussion forward for more people.

Depression can hit you and reoccur many times. It's a horrible mental illness and is the cancer of the mind, you eating away at yourself from the inside until the point of no return. It's massively misunderstood, and not just as easy as "cheer up". Whilst compared to many others I have received "but a taste" it is terrible and makes you feel like cutting yourself off from the world. It affects more than you think, and its quite amazing how in nearly 2012 something like depression is seen as a joke to people.

A big probelm is with (particularly) being bipolar is you can appear cheerful so people assume nothings wrong, but it just takes a flick of a switch to send your mood crashing down low. Another problem is that it can be hard to tell, even if you're close to someone.

It can destroy someone and drive them to the brink. I can't begin to imagine bad he was feeling. Hopefully people will now realise just how serious it is, but why has it taken this long?

So, so very sad. I've never experienced such a surreal atmosphere in an away pub as I did at Swansea yesterday. People walking in laughing and joking, glancing at the TV and within minutes a bustling pub had been reduced to an eerie silence. Rarely have I seen such a collective outpouring of grief nationwide and for good reason. He was one of the few good guys left in football, never a bad word said about him.

The Villa fans were a credit for leading the minutes of applause and chanting of his name, which was quite literally a spine tingling moment.

Football has lost a class act in a classless era.

RIP Gary. :(

There are some anti depressant tablets with very nasty side effects, think Seroxat was one that had been linked to hundreds of suicides

It's sick that these drugs that are supposed to help actually can make things worse...is this the best science can do? :shock:

Several years ago I saw a shrink because i felt I was drinking too much. She asked if i ever felt depressed. I said "yeah, sometimes"...like I'm sure MOST of us do...she prescribed me Paxil. I took one of them and felt like I had ingested plutonium...I scrapped the stuff right then.

The flip side to the problem is too many doctors dole out dangerous drugs too enthusiastically. I didn't need anti-depressants, but she was all too keen for me to get on the program...($$$)

Depression can hit you and reoccur many times. It's a horrible mental illness and is the cancer of the mind, you eating away at yourself from the inside until the point of no return. It's massively misunderstood, and not just as easy as "cheer up". Whilst compared to many others I have received "but a taste" it is terrible and makes you feel like cutting yourself off from the world. It affects more than you think, and its quite amazing how in nearly 2012 something like depression is seen as a joke to people.

A big probelm is with (particularly) being bipolar is you can appear cheerful so people assume nothings wrong, but it just takes a flick of a switch to send your mood crashing down low. Another problem is that it can be hard to tell, even if you're close to someone.

It can destroy someone and drive them to the brink. I can't begin to imagine bad he was feeling. Hopefully people will now realise just how serious it is, but why has it taken this long?

Top, top post :thumb:

I go through periods of a week or so where I feel so low and then the next week im fine again, its not quite bi-polar but its more than 'just having a bad day' if you know what I mean, ask me during a bad spell and it will probably seem worse though, yet, none of my friends or family know just how low I get, to them im just my normal self everytime I see them.

People are able to mask symptoms very well to the point their closest friends and family will have no idea at all. Working as a health care assistant within the mental health trust really helps me realise things can get better and you really never do know whats around the corner.

This whole story has just been so sad to hear and read about, mental health issues are just **** horrible to suffer from so he has my full sympathy and I hope I never have anything worse than what Ive got.

Thankfully attitudes are changing albeit slowly but they are changing and hopefully this tragic case will boost awarness even more. Still a shame people have to go through with ending their lives for these outdated attitudes to change.

Â