RIP Gary Speed

RussG

No idea how a millionaire with a family

In these situations I don't think that makes a blind bit of difference

Fully agree with this.

People in this very thread have said the only thing that STOPPED them killing themselves is family, so I would say it does make a difference.

I'm sure it can.

But by the same logic I can say Speed (IF it was depression) and, for example, Encke, took their own lives and they had family so it doesn't make a difference.

Obviously different situations and different people produce different results.

My cousin has a friend who's dad killed himself.

They were going on holiday, car was all packed full of suitcases, everyone got in, and the Dad said "I've just got to pop back inside to get something"

Went back in the house and hanged himself.

I'm sure there are people who wouldn't have done that because of the family they're leaving behind. but clearly some people do.

The point I was making was you can't say people with money and family can't be that unhappy, because for some people it doesn't make a difference how much money or family they have, it can still be bad enough for them to kill themselves.

That's horrific.

There are some anti depressant tablets with very nasty side effects, think Seroxat was one that had been linked to hundreds of suicides

It's sick that these drugs that are supposed to help actually can make things worse...is this the best science can do? :shock:

ALL anti-depressants have some very nasty side-effects. The very worst and thankfully rarest being suicide. But if prescribed properly, with a clear warning and under the right circumstances they can save lives. Like all drugs.

I have absolutely NO doubt in my mind that without anti-depressants I would be dead.

I could wax lyrical about depression all day long. I still am depressed to some degree. But this isn't the place I reckon.

Once again, RIP Gary Speed.

I don't doubt the grief

But why do that on a live tv feed ?

Sorry but I'm cynical of anything SKY / News Intermational just now

So what? Bryn Law was cajoled into it by Sky? He did it for ratings/kudos? What?

Maybe, just maybe, he was talking about his mate who just hung himself so we can get a better understanding of just how shocking this is. Not only that, but what a top bloke Speed was.

You can't believe what you're saying. This is not the kind of thread to troll mate.

I don't doubt the grief

So which of these two things are more likely?

a) Bryn Law was a good friend of Gary Speed and cared about the guy and in the course of doing his job is put in the position of having to cover his death. This added to his desire to pay tribute to him results in him doing a peace from Elland Road in his honour in which the emotion gets the better of him.

or

B) He things, I know I will cry on TV because it will look good and make me famous or get my in Rupert Murdock's good books.

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure its a and that you are wrong on this like you were in my opinion wrong about Robbie Savage.

I personally would grieve in private but then I don't work in the media, I don't have a job to do and I wouldn't have the opportunity to pay tribute to a loved one in the way they do. Regardless of if I would grieve in the same way as others is though irrelevant because grief is a very personal thing and there is no right or wrong way to handle it.

If the likes of Bryn Law and Robbie Savage want to go in the media and talk about their friend and get upset in the process I'm not going to judge them and to be honest I'm rather amazed anyone would.

This is nothing personal directed at you mate I'm just amazed why anyone would have issue with it but if anyone does they can always pick up the remote and flick channel.

A lot of people have been really upset over this news, I know I have and I didn't know the guy personally but I always admired and respected him. I can't begin to imagine how those who knew he felt, actually, scrub that I can because of the likes of Bryn Law and Robbie Savage.

Their reactions suggest my views of Gary Speed were pretty accurate and confirm what a loss he is to those who know him and those that love the game and the parts of it that are still good.

So I guess when I stop and think about it I'm kind of grateful to Law and Savage for their public tributes even if they are horrible to watch.

Shay Given was in tears on the pitch on Sunday in front of millions and I respect him more for that than almost anything he has done in his career.

The media in this country are by and large cold and heartless perhaps we should commend those who show they've a heart rather than be critical of them.

Sorry for the rant but I feel pretty strongly on this subject having lost two friends to suicide and having known others close to me suffer depression.

The more I hear about Gary Speed, the more I think this guy really was one of football's true gentlemen. Most, if not all, of the accounts from his friends within the business tell tales of how he was always concerned with how everyone else was getting on. You could probably piece together a days worth of phone calls that he made to other people this last weekend alone to check how they were doing. He just sounds like a fantastic guy frankly.

I don't doubt the grief

So what? Bryn Law was cajoled into it by Sky? He did it for ratings/kudos? What?

Maybe, just maybe, he was talking about his mate who just hung himself so we can get a better understanding of just how shocking this is. Not only that, but what a top bloke Speed was.

You can't believe what you're saying. This is not the kind of thread to troll mate.

Here **** here.

How anyone can watch that Bryn Law video and not feel anything but utter sadness is completely beyond me. I for one had tears in my eyes, he deserves a medal for even going into work under the circumstances.

assuming it is depression (and til told otherwise think its fair to assume this) it is a perfectly valid explaination to what happened. having lived with someone who had severe depression i can, like others on here have, tell you what a horrible illness it is. to everyone outside they appear perfectly normal - hence why savage etc cant begin to explain why he did it. but living with them is a nightmare as they lash out on those closest to them. they cant help it, and theres nothing you can do to help things. horrible as it may sound, but it wouldnt surprise me if this wasnt a complete shock to his wife...just hope she doesnt blame herself as there is nothing she could have done (assuming the twatter rumours are false of course)

I don't doubt the grief

So which of these two things are more likely?

a) Bryn Law was a good friend of Gary Speed and cared about the guy and in the course of doing his job is put in the position of having to cover his death. This added to his desire to pay tribute to him results in him doing a peace from Elland Road in his honour in which the emotion gets the better of him.

or

B) He things, I know I will cry on TV because it will look good and make me famous or get my in Rupert Murdock's good books.

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure its a and that you are wrong on this like you were in my opinion wrong about Robbie Savage.

I personally would grieve in private but then I don't work in the media, I don't have a job to do and I wouldn't have the opportunity to pay tribute to a loved one in the way they do. Regardless of if I would grieve in the same way as others is though irrelevant because grief is a very personal thing and there is no right or wrong way to handle it.

If the likes of Bryn Law and Robbie Savage want to go in the media and talk about their friend and get upset in the process I'm not going to judge them and to be honest I'm rather amazed anyone would.

This is nothing personal directed at you mate I'm just amazed why anyone would have issue with it but if anyone does they can always pick up the remote and flick channel.

A lot of people have been really upset over this news, I know I have and I didn't know the guy personally but I always admired and respected him. I can't begin to imagine how those who knew he felt, actually, scrub that I can because of the likes of Bryn Law and Robbie Savage.

Their reactions suggest my views of Gary Speed were pretty accurate and confirm what a loss he is to those who know him and those that love the game and the parts of it that are still good.

So I guess when I stop and think about it I'm kind of grateful to Law and Savage for their public tributes even if they are horrible to watch.

Shay Given was in tears on the pitch on Sunday in front of millions and I respect him more for that than almost anything he has done in his career.

The media in this country are by and large cold and heartless perhaps we should commend those who show they've a heart rather than be critical of them.

Sorry for the rant but I feel pretty strongly on this subject having lost two friends to suicide and having known others close to me suffer depression.

Top post and I couldnt agree more

Â