RIP Gary Speed

RussG

Horrible news and it's clear to see given all the tributes today that he was a top man on and off the pitch.

I recommend reading Dan Walker's blog on BBC. He was recording Football Focus with Speed yesterday and he gives an insight into what kind of a person he was. It's just a really honest and humble article and it shows how much of a shock this was to everyone around him.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. RIP Gary.

The question that we may never know is: "Why?" .

RIP Gary Speed. Legend.

There's rumours flying round on twitter that the sun were about to 'expose' Gary as being gay. Only rumours, but if true the sun should be absolutely ashamed

RIP Gary Speed. Legend.

There's rumours flying round on twitter that the sun were about to 'expose' Gary as being gay. Only rumours, but if true the sun should be absolutely ashamed

I think we need to be very careful here. But if true, why should The Sun be ashamed? Surely the people who lap up that kind of stuff are the ones who should be ashamed, they're simply giving "us" what we want.

I smell bullshit anyway. Not really reason enough to kill yourself unless there are deep lying psychological issues at play already.

I've found low. I survived, but it was touch and go at times. Still is to this day, I've found myself stood on a bridge wondering whether I could many a time. My heart goes out to Speed's family. It's a selfish act, but when you're there it can seem as though there is no other option.

RIP Gary Speed. A true legend of the game.

RIP Gary Speed. Legend.

Oh my god. IF this is true, then....... well, words fail me.

But I understand what you say, PW, about these being just rumours.

I actually thought savages tweets were a bit self promoting

Why the **** mention strictly

Me me me

I'm no fan of Savage but thats out of order. He seems genuinely cut up about this. I have seen his interview on BBC and the context in which he mentioned strictly was that Gary Speed had been at a live show with his wife a couple of weeks ago supporting him and only yesterday wished him luck etc in a telephone conversation. He said that was how Gary was always thinking of others.

I agree. Ridiculous post.

I agree as well, silly post in the circumstances. If you havent seen savages interview with bbc then you might understand.

Also, you can guarantee the papers will come out with some total bullshit tomorrow. Completely wrong how papers can get away with things and we shall see what they say.

RIP Gary

Out of respect for the man how about we leave the rumours and whatever is being suggested on Twitter out of it for the time being.

I'm sure if there is a bigger story behind this then it will soon be in the public domain but for the time being lets just stick with the facts.

The facts at this moment in time are that one of the greatest professional footballers in the history of the PL took his own life today whatever the reason for that it is simply tragic.

I think he and his family deserve the respect of people not jumping from one theory to another based on nothing but speculation.

So please lets not talk about rumours.

I actually thought savages tweets were a bit self promoting

Why the **** mention strictly

Me me me

Anyone who heard Savage break down in tears on Radio 5 or saw this interview will know there was nothing self promoting about Savage's motives. He was clearly heart broken about his friend and was a BBC employee trying to do his job and pay tribute to his friend.

Just watch it, watch it to the end and I'm certain you will change your mind.

There are many things Savage can pulled up for in his career but this isn't one in my view, the guy clearly thought a hell of a lot of Gary Speed and rightly so.

No idea how a millionaire with a family can get to that point where they want to kill themselves. Wonder if we'll ever know exactly what happened.

Shocking

That is not how mental illness or manic depression works.

Not that im saying that Speed was .

We don't know.

perhaps may well have been some event or something that prompted him

. Is pointless speculating at moment as we simply don't know ..

But the suggestion that because someone is rich or succesful is immune from any mental illness is absurd.

No idea how a millionaire with a family can get to that point where they want to kill themselves. Wonder if we'll ever know exactly what happened.

Shocking

You are John Gregory I claim my £5.

No offense intended but I always find this view rather simplistic and bordering on the ignorant in term so understanding depression and mental illness.

Such tragic sad news. On the surface everything looked perfect, but as others have said, you just dont know whats going on under the surface. I think most of us are guessing it was related to depression but we may never know, could have been a number of things.

What ever his reasons were, my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Terrible. :(

Conspiracy theories bordering on the rediculous circulating

Ranging from hanging by sexual gratification like david carradine, murder suicide by the welsh mafia even people saying the Illuminati killed him

Unbelievable

Â