RIP Gary Speed

RussG

A real tragedy.

Its easy to scratch your head and think why as from the outside he seemed to have it all - two children, wife, successful career, his health etc and plenty to look forward to.

It hard to know what people are thinking though and how peoples minds work. I've known two people who have taken their own lives and on both occasions it turned out there were underlying issues.

Really feel for his family and close friends at this time as they will be questioning if they should have saw any signs.

A true legend of the game and from all accounts a genuinely nice guy. I hope he has found peace.

Going to put it down to shock but the Swansea lot made surprisingly little fuss, from where I was it seemed like it was the villa fans who started clapping and chanting during the minutes silence then nothing during the game

still can't believe it's happened RIP

I've often heard people say "never heard a bad word said about the man" rarely if ever is it true or even remotely close to being true. In the case of Gary Speed it is absolutely true.

I've literally never ever heard a single person either in the game or who watches it say a bad thing about the guy, not even a negative. I can't even recall a single time when he was criticised for a nasty tackle or lashing out which given the number of games he played is just remarkable.

He racked up some clubs too in his playing career with spells at Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Bolton and Sheff Utd and I've never heard a fan of any of those clubs bad mouth him.

Proud of the Villa fans reaction to the news today as I believe from speaking to those at the game it was them singing his name and its nothing less than he deserved.

In an era in which football is destroying itself and footballers seems to spend their lives trying to demonstrate how far removed they are from the average man its ironic that the first man to pass 500 PL appearances was every bit the average man.

Football has lost one of the good guys today and it has precious few to spare.

RIP Gary Speed.

As posted earlier, really doesn't add up, great job, family, money, looks, the man seemed to have it all on the surface.

He must have been in a desperate place with nobody to turn to, to do this.

RIP Gary Speed, never saw him have a bad game

Just because he was on TV laughing and joking with McAllister means nothing. People who suffer from depression can and do go to great lengths to cover it up.

Churchill called it his black dog as it was always there and would increase / decrease with intensity on any given day.

I actually thought savages tweets were a bit self promoting

Why the **** mention strictly

Me me me

I'm no fan of Savage but thats out of order. He seems genuinely cut up about this. I have seen his interview on BBC and the context in which he mentioned strictly was that Gary Speed had been at a live show with his wife a couple of weeks ago supporting him and only yesterday wished him luck etc in a telephone conversation. He said that was how Gary was always thinking of others.

I actually thought savages tweets were a bit self promoting

Why the **** mention strictly

Me me me

I'm no fan of Savage but thats out of order. He seems genuinely cut up about this. I have seen his interview on BBC and the context in which he mentioned strictly was that Gary Speed had been at a live show with his wife a couple of weeks ago supporting him and only yesterday wished him luck etc in a telephone conversation. He said that was how Gary was always thinking of others.

I agree. Ridiculous post.

shocking and sad. i had a suspition it might have been sucide whe they never mentioned cause of death during the programme. personally dont think game should have gone ahead out of respect for the man.

shows depression is a sick illness. no-one knew he was suffering from this

was a great guy from what i saw of him and really made wales a great side again. sad my thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP speedo

Â