Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Paul Gascoigne for me. Good player on his day, but never as good as people try and make out now. That prick Piers Morgan even compared him to Pele and Maradonna in an interview with Gascoigne the other week, and Gazza replied, "there's things I could do that Pele and Maradonna couldn't and vice versa". Yeah right mate. You weren't fit lace their boots. Talk about trying to re write history....

Paul Gascoigne for me. Good player on his day, but never as good as people try and make out now. That prick Piers Morgan even compared him to Pele and Maradonna in an interview with Gascoigne the other week, and Gazza replied, "there's things I could do that Pele and Maradonna couldn't and vice versa". Yeah right mate. You weren't fit lace their boots. Talk about trying to re write history....

In fairness to Gazza, there is no way Pele could have gone out for a night and sunk 37 bottles of Newcastle Brown and 4 bottles of vodka, smoked 120 cigarettes, snorted 6 grams of coke then driven straight to the ground and played a full 90 minutes. Maradona... maybe.

am going to throw it out here and i know ill get abused but Wayne Rooney is miles overrated. To me he is a patch player and could score 12 goals in 8 games and then go 10 in a row without a goal. Also a poor mentality for a pro footballer

I doubt you will to be honest. I disagree of course anyway, he could still always add goals to his game, as you say he goes through patches but watching him at Villa Park, every ball that went into him, his touch was so assured, great touches, extremely intelligent movement and footballer. 158 goals and 80 assists (according to wiki) in 339 games as well ain't bad stats.

Can't agree with this at all. Gazza was better than Lampard and Gerrard two players who have already been deemed as world class at their best. Gazza was simply a fantastic player. Had everything you would want from a midfielder and more and the Gazza who played against Germany in the World Cup would be in the Barca team today.

Gianluigi Lentini

Signed for AC Milan in 1992 for £13mil and was utter pants.

I'm sure his agent and Mr B were very pleased at the size of the transfer fee.

He had a serious car crash not long after signing for Milan. That was it for him really.

Gianluigi Lentini

Signed for AC Milan in 1992 for £13mil and was utter pants.

I'm sure his agent and Mr B were very pleased at the size of the transfer fee.

He had a serious car crash not long after signing for Milan. That was it for him really.

I remember seeing him play whilst watching channel 4 on sunday afternoons.

He really was average.

Clarence Seedorf is up there for me

That is laughable really. Underrated by most if anything IMO.

Is there any player that you do rate, Zatman? (preferably someone that isn't Irish ;))

Clarence Seedorf is up there for me

That is laughable really. Underrated by most if anything IMO.

Is there any player that you do rate, Zatman? (preferably someone that isn't Irish ;))

Seedorf's a bit of an odd one, when Milan were lead by Shevchenko he really didn't do much, the team was lead by Kaka/Rui Costa, Shevchenko and Pirlo. Seedorf was just good at his job, but didn't do much else.

Wasn't until around 07 that he started to really perform, and he's always hand picked the games he shows up on. Watch him against Lecce on a Saturday afternoon and he looks really average, then the CL or a big league game comes along and suddenly he looks like world class.

Â