Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Actually just thought I'd throw in the one I usually go on about, Rodwell.

People go on about him like he's England's saviour when in reality he's yet to even prove himself in Everton's team. I really don't see him on the same level as the likes of Wilshere, Cleverley and P. Jones tbh.

Walcott is another one but is in good form at the minute. I would've said the same about Micah Richards 6 months ago but he's been brilliant for City this season.

I always thought Cantona was a little overrated aswell...

Reading this thread you'd thought that almost every player is over rated. :P

I don't watch that much football these days, only Villa, so I might get some disagreements about this guy but I'll say it anyway: Michael Carrick. Decent player, but not as good as he was said to be when he played for spurs and united bought him.

I can see the point people are making about Cantona, but then again, he was a very good player. But probably overhyped for playing in the PL when it didn't contain as many stars as it does now.

Gary Neville was a competent centre half, Carlos Cuellar covered at full back pretty well. Christ, J Lloyd Samuel had a stab at centre half on and off. All defenders covering in other defensive positions. There are many other examples. I'm sure Xavi has played in several midfield positions as I suspect Iniesta has too.

Gary Neville was a prety poor centre half. There's also the small matter of the 2 you've mentioned being around 6 foot. Ashley Cole is about 5'9. So to answer your question, he hasn't been played at centre half because no top flight manager would make such a stupid mistake as to play someone who is both small and not well built to play centre back.

It really is a ridiculous arguement and there's an obvious bias in here. Unsurprising you've criticised Terry as well, how do you explain Chelsea winning things and making a Champions League final with Cole and Terry if they are so bad.

So basically your arguement against Ashley Cole is that he doesn't get to pick the team. Because I otherwise fail to see how a manager picking him at left back and nowhere is else is somehow his fault.

Georgi Kinkladze. This is only amongst City fans, but he is arguably the most overrated footballer of them all amongst a fan base. He was an eye catching playmaker, but his only great season came when City were in the Championship and he scored 12 goals. When you consider Adel Taarabt did in the Championship last season, playing in the same position, it shows just how much lower the level is and how much easier it is for such players to look good. When Kinkladze played in the top flight, the most he scored was 4 goals and was dropped for being a luxury at times. He then went on to flop at Ajax. The reason I say he's so overrated, is because on Bluemoon City fans often debate who was better out of him and David Silva! This really isn't much different to deabting who is better out of Iniesta and Taarabt! City fans genuinely put him in their top 3 best ever players, when in reallity he wouldn't even get in their current 25 man squad. Their Kinkladze delusion is driven by pure nostalgia, when he was the one thing that entertained them during a dark period for their club, so they love him for it. It's mental!

Gary Neville was a competent centre half, Carlos Cuellar covered at full back pretty well. Christ, J Lloyd Samuel had a stab at centre half on and off. All defenders covering in other defensive positions. There are many other examples. I'm sure Xavi has played in several midfield positions as I suspect Iniesta has too.

Gary Neville was a prety poor centre half. There's also the small matter of the 2 you've mentioned being around 6 foot. Ashley Cole is about 5'9. So to answer your question, he hasn't been played at centre half because no top flight manager would make such a stupid mistake as to play someone who is both small and not well built to play centre back.

It really is a ridiculous arguement and there's an obvious bias in here. Unsurprising you've criticised Terry as well, how do you explain Chelsea winning things and making a Champions League final with Cole and Terry if they are so bad.

So basically your arguement against Ashley Cole is that he doesn't get to pick the team. Because I otherwise fail to see how a manager picking him at left back and nowhere is else is somehow his fault.

No..... my argument was, if he's "easily the worlds best left back" one would assume he's a bloody good footballer and so would feel comfortable occasionally covering in a couple of positions. No manager has yet felt confident enough to do this.... because in my opinion he's not a "bloody good footballer". He's limited, slow witted (in a footballing sense) and has little discipline.

My bias is against this commonly held notion that Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world. Nobody has yet presented any evidence that would back this up other than he has pace and works hard.

I get very aggrieved that players are described as world class by some hack or a no-mark pundit then somehow it becomes gospel. It generally follows that there is no platform for this assumption to stand on, yet the myth perpetuates.

I just wish people would judge more with own opinions instead of those of others.

Like I said previously, it's the kings new clothes.

Â