Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

• 2 weeks later...

but he's a striker SGC, you know, a striker is judged on goals is what you told us all. Which is why Rooney is just average according to you ... funny.

Yet Suarez as a striker is close to Messi, even though he's only scored 6 goals .. what?

How do you justify the things you say when you completely go against what you previously said.

but he's a striker SGC, you know, a striker is judged on goals is what you told us all. Which is why Rooney is just average according to you ... funny.

goalscoring is the main attribute that i look for in a striker, there are other facets to a striker's game though, suarez has it all imo, he is very close to being the complete player

So if Suarez is better than Rooney despite Rooney's clear higher goalscoring record because of his all round game, then why is Bent above Rooney, despite similar goal records yet Rooney clearly has a much better all round game.

You make no sense.

and please, if you were at VP when we lost to United 0-1 a couple weeks, you'd see the quite clear difference between Rooney and Bent in their games. One was excellent in his all round game and touch, the other is just a goalscorer who has very little else to his game.

why do you have to bring rooney's name into this thread? is it because you think he is 1 of the most overrated players in world football like i do?

Because I'm questioning the way you come to conclusions and considering that's a topic that's been talked about on here, it's an easy example.

You have always maintained the stance on here that Bent is a great striker (one of the best in the league, if not the best) because he's a better goalscorer than Rooney. (When we debated this point, Rooney was the in form striker) You claimed Rooney was average because he didn't score that many goals as a striker and it's a strikers job to score goals first and foremost.

Now you have just said that Suarez is close to the likes of Messi because of his all round game as a striker, despite the fact he doesn't score that many goals.

Can you see why it's being questioning?

Oh and by the way, I really like Suarez as a footballer, I think he's fantastic, he'd walk into any side in the Premiership .. but I'm just questioning how you come to the conclusions you do. Contradictions.

he has much more to his game than goals zatman and you know this

He's eye catching, but he doesn't compare to in terms of output with the best second strikers/attacking midfielders in the Prem. He is brilliant at cut backs and jinking, which catches the eye, but his overall contribution isn't enough. Compare the amount of chances he creates, tackles he makes and passes he makes with the likes of Silva, Lampard and VDV. You can't be rated just because you have a style of play that is really exciting to watch. At the end of the day you have to produce the goods and Suarez doesn't score or create anywhere near enough to compare with the likes of Messi. He's actually a poor mans Berbatov, but has a style the fans and pundits love, whilst Berbatov has a languid style that people hate. Berbatov is seen as a luxury, despite contributing so much more, whilst Suarez gets praised. There is nothing subtle about his game and you'll notice everyting he does. Whilst other players in his position prefer to move the ball on quickly, with first time passes and through balls. A player that can pick out a pass in the final third is not going to get the same attention as one who takes two or 3 players on in the final third. But it's those who can play the clever final ball that do the more damage, hence the likes of Silva, Lampard and VDV have created more chances, scored more goals, have more assists, depsite playing deeper and being far more involved in games overall.

While I agree with you in principle POB, I think you're overrating Rooney at little bit.

I don't get how anyone would put him outside the top 5 strikers in the Premiership IMO... Van Persie, Suarez and Aguero. I do think those 4 are a level above others at the moment. Balotelli also as the 5th.

Rooney works very hard, is very clever on the ball, is disciplined when it comes to his actual positioning and doing a job for the team (as he's had to play central midfield a few games this season) an extremely assured touch, he links really well midfield to attack. For example, if you actually watch next Villa game, every time the ball goes into Bent, his first touch is backwards and then he pretty much lays the ball off back 10 yards to where it comes from, where as someone like Rooney manages to find the space so he can look forward or lay clever first time ball off to then go forward. Most of all, he creates chances and scores goals. 13 goals, 2 assists this season in 16 games. He is an excellent player.

He is way off Messi though, as is Suarez IMO.

Â