Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

SGC you really are a terrible judge of player.

Yes Taarabat has lots of skill but just as some of us predicted in the summer he has done next to nothing in the Premier League which is why he is at QPR and no bigger PL side is interested.

we are only halfway through the season, give him a chance

Michael Carrick.

Not at Spurs, but ever since he joined United.

On his day, Carrick is absolutely superb

I think he's had about three of those for United.

I just think he's developed into a poor footballer. If he played well for his club then he'd be considered for the international team. He's barely in the England frame now.

Wouldn't take him for Villa to be honest.

we are only halfway through the season, give him a chance

I've seen enough already to make my mind up.

His own team mates don't even seem to rate him.

seen qpr play live often this season trent? didn't think so

You have no idea what games I've seen...

My opinion is based on what I've seen of him during his entire career rather than just this season. What did you base your opinion, watching him warm up?

Agree with Trent, his own team matesaand warnock have had enough of him, the psg move fell apart and he's got too big for his boots, with pastore in the team, beckham on the way and linked with kaka IMO there is not a chance in hell psg will be coming back for him, he isn't worth £5m let alone the £13m talked up in the summer

in terms of technical ability, he is light years ahead of those players, i don't understand how you can rank a genius like taarabt alongside those clowns

Aye, he has flicks and tricks that none of the players I listed could do. I wont dispute that, but he cannot apply them in the Premier League. He couldnt get anywhere near the Spurs team when he was there, and he cant get in the QPR side now. Maybe the Premier League is too fast for him and he doesnt get the time on the ball he needs to rip teams to shreds in this division like he could in the Championship, but the simple truth is he is not a very effective player in the Premier League. Are you going to have a total liability in your team every week because he is good at taking corners? No.

Taarabt wont be in the Premier League much longer. I have a feeling he will end up in France again.

Taarabt did well in the championship because teams are less organised, and the defences in general are lower quality, but with him not being at the level of players like Silva, Mata, Nani etc he can't cut it. He's best going to somewhere like France like Rev said.

I think he's had about three of those for United.

I just think he's developed into a poor footballer. If he played well for his club then he'd be considered for the international team. He's barely in the England frame now.

Wouldn't take him for Villa to be honest.

Hopeless stuff you are writing here. He is not very exciting, but he is a damn stable and dependable footballer. Passes the ball very well and keeps the midfield together, that is why he is a regular starter for MANCHESTER UNITED. And you would not want him at the Villa? What????

So you are saying that Fergie is wrong keeping him for all these years, starting him in important games and generally keeping a lot of faith in him? Granted, he is not Xavi or Iniesta, but since you are obviously holding Petrov and Herd, and all the other mediocre shit we have on our books to him.... wow... I just cannot take it seriously.

I wouldn't say Carrick is much better than Petrov. He's at Utd because they've not been able to get a real class midfielder to push him out, players like Carrick are why Utd always get beat by Barca.

He's pretty much a squad player at United though. When fully fit, I'd rate Giggs, Fletcher, Cleverley, Park, Jones ahead of him in central midfield. And last season Scholes would have been in there too.

Every time I listen to the radio or see a game on TV, it always seems to me that the commentator says "And Carrick makes a pass....and the ball's back with the opposition." Really wouldn't claim he's a stable player for them.

I think players like Messi are why United always get beaten by Barca to be honest.

This.

I am beginning to think Tom Cleverley needs to go on the over rated list to be honest. He has played five games for Manchester United and in one of those he was stretchered off after barely two minutes. I think because Manchester United made such an explosive start to the season and then flattered to deceive for a month or two people were putting two and two together and getting five, mostly because the perceived loss of form (even though they were still winning games and collecting points at a higher rate than they normally do) coincided with Cleverley's injury. On another forum I read United fans were proclaiming him as the saviour of English football. Dont get me wrong, he might prove to be a great player but give the kid a chance before heaping tons of pressure and expectations on him. Remember players like Keith Gillespie, Danny Cadamarteri, Richie Humphries, Franny Jeffers and dare I say it, Luke Moore? Cleverley could go the way of those guys too.

Â