Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

He was very good, I just dont think he was the best forward of his generation like many people say.

When you talk about complete footballers, im really struggling to think of very many (maybe 1 or 2) who were better!

As Eames says above, a genius with a football.

I seem to remember alot of big games where he bottled it. For me Henry was the better player at club and international level. On the Arsenal website they have voted for their favourite player of all time. Only season ticket holders or website subscribers can vote, they put Henry number 1. I also think Van Persie in his current form is as good.

Michael Owen. Not necessarily for his ability but more for his achievements. This is a guy regularly talked about as one of the best strikers of our generation yet he never scored 20 league goals in a season in his entire career.

He was very good, I just dont think he was the best forward of his generation like many people say.

When you talk about complete footballers, im really struggling to think of very many (maybe 1 or 2) who were better!

I seem to remember alot of big games where he bottled it. For me Henry was the better player at club and international level. On the Arsenal website they have voted for their favourite player of all time. Only season ticket holders or website subscribers can vote, they put Henry number 1. I also think Van Persie in his current form is as good.

They love Henry for his goals, not his allround play. Like i said, Bergkamp was the complete footballer.

i once went to a fifa launch party with EA sports and ian rush, rush was trying to explain that owen spends on average something like 19* seconds per game on the ball, makes a run takes a touch puts it in, i dont think he ever got hyped more than fowler despite IMO being a better player, any time owens goals were mentioned "fowler is a more natural finisher" came shortly after

*not exact it was a while ago but it was a mindbogglingly small amount of time, certainly less than 30 seconds

They love Henry for his goals, not his allround play. Like i said, Bergkamp was the complete footballer.

How do you know, did you speak to the Arsenal fans who voted? Henry also got a load of assists (sp?) too in his time there. He is the biggest Arsenal legend of all time for many reasons, and the votes showed that. Anyway I am not here to defend or denegrate anyone. When it comes to football what I care about is AVFC (and ROI even though I am not Irish) and not much else. So I am out :arrow:

How do you know, did you speak to the Arsenal fans who voted? Henry also got a load of assists (sp?) too in his time there. He is the biggest Arsenal legend of all time for many reasons, and the votes showed that.

To be fair, that statement assumes that the average Arsenal fan knows anything more than sweet **** all about football. :)

How do you know, did you speak to the Arsenal fans who voted? Henry also got a load of assists (sp?) too in his time there. He is the biggest Arsenal legend of all time for many reasons, and the votes showed that. Anyway I am not here to defend or denegrate anyone. When it comes to football what I care about is AVFC (and ROI even though I am not Irish) and not much else. So I am out :arrow:

Chill dude, its a discussion based forum and we are discussing.

Nobody is wasting nobody!*

*internet for whoever gets the film. :)

How do you know, did you speak to the Arsenal fans who voted? Henry also got a load of assists (sp?) too in his time there. He is the biggest Arsenal legend of all time for many reasons, and the votes showed that.

To be fair, that statement assumes that the average Arsenal fan knows anything more than sweet **** all about football. :)

Well the only people who could vote were season ticket holders or those who paid to subscribe to the website. So you could look it at another way and say these were real Arsenal fans who actually watched the team a hell of alot over a number of years, rather then a few highlights on the TV.

im with voinjama, despite the fact that i prefer bergkamp to henry i hardly find it surprising that henry was voted their best ever player, it wouldnt surprise me if henry won it by quite a distance and if ian wright was voted ahead of bergkamp too despite being way off in terms of ability

im with voinjama, despite the fact that i prefer bergkamp to henry i hardly find it surprising that henry was voted their best ever player, it wouldnt surprise me if henry won it by quite a distance and if ian wright was voted ahead of bergkamp too despite being way off in terms of ability

I cant remember the exact order, but Henry was 1st, and other members of the top 4 were Bergkamp, Adams and some guy from ages ago whose name I cant actually remember :oops:

Ian Wright was in the top 10 but no higher then 6th....I think.

Henry is the clubs record goal scorer. Played in the PL era with maximum exposure..... people who vote in "Best ever player" polls are generally 13. Hardly suprising that he won it really is it.

But scoring a shit load of goals does not an outstanding footballer make.

eg. Alan Shearer or Dennis Bergkamp.... who is the better player?

He's their record scorer and was their star player in probably their 2nd most successful era in their history. Now I agree that there are definitely times when recent players rank disproportionately high in 'all time' lists, but this isn't one of them.

The flip side is that we also shouldn't assume that a current or recent player is not his team's greatest of all time just because he's current or recent.

Â