Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Joey, what do you make of Barry Bannan ?

I think he looks good, but he'd be an example of the kind of thing a Villa fan would see as a reason for optimism, but I wouldn't get too excited about if I were you. He's a good player, but the sad reallity is that we have so many rich clubs at the top of the Prem, you have to compare him to the best youg players in the world, as when Bannan is at his peak, they will be playing for the likes of City, Chelsea and Utd.

I even disagree with most of what you view as the current positives elements of the club
Such as?

The defence, youth and Bent.

Lol, nobody rates the defence on here. Nobody. :lol:

The youth is a mixed bag, but Bannan, Herd and possibly Clark and definitely bright prospects.

Well, of course you wouldn't be positive about Bent. The states however speak for themselves. 14 goals in 26 games. Phenomenal.

I read a few weeks ago the defence was being viewed more positively than last season and that Dunne and Warnock seemed to be getting less criticism. It just reminded me of the 2009/10 season when many of your fans praised the defence, even though you were playing pretty damn deep alot of the time.

Joey, do you have a prediction for tomorrow nite ?

Also, what's the Spurs equivalent of VT (ie. Your nr 1 fans site?)

I think we'll be the better team, but we could easily lose or draw. These things happen all the time and we are due a bad result. Last season we lost to Wigan at WHL! We haven't lost a game we really should have won for a long time, so it's bound to happen sooner or later. It wouldn't suprise me if that happened tomorrow, but it would suprise me if we didn't boss possession and create the most chances.

Spurscommunity is the biggest Spurs forum.

I read a few weeks ago the defence was being viewed more positively than last season and that Dunne and Warnock seemed to be getting less criticism. It just reminded me of the 2009/10 season when many of your fans praised the defence, even though you were playing pretty damn deep alot of the time.
Our defence is nothing like the 2009/10 season. Dunne's been ok, but Warnock's been a liability as always. Our defence isn't actually much better than last season, if at all.

Cheers Joey, I think it's good we get the opposition view (mods perhaps a regular thread in the pre match area)

For me, I can't recall a stronger spurs team, arry has done really well there

Can't see anything but a home win tomorrow sadly

Also, what's the Spurs equivalent of VT (ie. Your nr 1 fans site?)

As Joey said, www.spurscommunity.co.uk

but you have to register to even read on there

www.glory-glory.co.uk

if you want an open forum just to read

also the oldest out there, been online since mid 90s

If he's one of the best players in the world why does he never cover

at centre half or occasionally play in midfield like some other great players?

Why doesn't Xavi fill in at centre half, or Iniesta? Are they not World class. What a ridiculous comment.

He could easily play wide left, but I imagine he's never been asked because takiing the best left back away from left back is a stupid idea.

Indeed it is a ridiculous comment and thankfully one I didn't make...

Gary Neville was a competent centre half, Carlos Cuellar covered at full back pretty well. Christ, J Lloyd Samuel had a stab at centre half on and off. All defenders covering in other defensive positions. There are many other examples. I'm sure Xavi has played in several midfield positions as I suspect Iniesta has too.

You would imagine that Cole being this player par excellance would be the go to guy if the team was struggling to cover positions. Maybe switch to right back or make up the numbers in the centre of defence. With his pace and his industrious nature maybe left midfield......... Nope, never happens.

He's a very limited player that rarely displays any attributes one would associate with a "best in the world" player. He's not even the best left back in the division. He's not even the best full back at his club.

I just do not see it....... It's the kings new clothes.

More of the same this afternoon I notice to cement his reputation.

Our defence is nothing like the 2009/10 season. Dunne's been ok, but Warnock's been a liability as always. Our defence isn't actually much better than last season, if at all.

Basically i thought O'neil played a compact game and think McCleish does the same, but even more so. Under O'Neil alot of your fans praised individual defenders, but I thought the team set up was favourable for the defence and that they actually weren't particuarly good and would get found out in a more expansive team. I read some praise for you defenders again and thought the same thing was happening, but obviously not. So I guess it's only the youth and Bent that makes me even more negative than you guys. And the youth thing is only because given the insane stength and money the top teams have in the Prem, you'd have to have an incredible set of youngsters for them to be a reason to be genuinley positive.

Basically i thought O'neil played a compact game and think McCleish does the same, but even more so. Under O'Neil alot of your fans praised individual defenders, but I thought the team set up was favourable for the defence and that they actually weren't particuarly good and would get found out in a more expansive team. I read some praise for you defenders again and thought the same thing was happening, but obviously not. So I guess it's only the youth and Bent that makes me even more negative than you guys. And the youth thing is only because given the insane stength and money the top teams have in the Prem, you'd have to have an incredible set of youngsters for them to be a reason to be genuinley positive.

In theory McLeish may play a more compact game, but this season we've scored a fair amount but also conceded quite a lot. Do not be mistaken - our defence is not good. Far from it. The only good thing about it is Given and possibly Dunne.

Â