The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

@morpheus:

Can I ask you a few questions to get this thing streightened out ?

1- Are the current Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid teams good ? if yes then do they have good managers ?

2-Was Liverpool under Shankley and Mercer good ? if yes were they good managers ?

3- Is Aston Villa good ? if yes is McLeish a good manager ? if no ? is McLeish a good manager ?

I can't think of any good teams that have bad managers,also I can't think of any bad teams that have good managers.

Work it out. ?!

Really? Good teams with bad managers..... West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea,.

Bad teams with good managers......QPR, WBA, Swansea, Norwich

Don't really understand these...by what stretch of the imagination are West Ham a good team?

And how are Swansea and Norwich bad teams? Ok they may not have star performers, but together they perform well, infact Swansea are widely acclaimed as playing fantastic football so I would say they are a good team.

Leon Britton and Joe Allen are two of the most accurate passers in European football this season. I'm pretty sure Swansea are toward the top of the table for pass completion rates. I know that might not necessarily indicate a 'good team' but to me a team that passes it successfully is a good side.

Only since the manager took over have they improved to such an extent. Allen has been there since 2007 and Britton since 2003 bar a quick spell at Sheff Utd. The manager is getting every bit of potential out of them.

Swansea are not a 'good' team. They are playing successfully though.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERY day I peer into this thread and EVERY day I still can't believe people are still going on and on about McLeish. You must be bored stiff by now,

He's staying. Get used to it and save yourself the ulcer

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have a much better team if Houllier was still here. Building ANYTHING takes time, but buliding a football team can take years.

We as fans needs to be a bit more patient. Any manager needs time to bring his own players in. It doesnt happen overnight

There remains a sizeable amount of doubt in mind especially given the number of average signings he made at Liverpool and the failure that was Makoun but I guess we will never know. I don't ever recall us being linked with Ba or Cabaye though.

It wasn't the fans that drove Houllier out though it was his health.

As for this notion that managers will work out with time, this is the case sometimes but certainly not all the time Martin O'Neill is an example of that.

I personally don't think McLeish being given time to build his own squad will be beneficial to the club so I'd rather he went now and we gave the right sort of manager time and money to build.

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have a much better team if Houllier was still here. Building ANYTHING takes time, but buliding a football team can take years.

We as fans needs to be a bit more patient. Any manager needs time to bring his own players in. It doesnt happen overnight

There remains a sizeable amount of doubt in mind especially given the number of average signings he made at Liverpool and the failure that was Makoun but I guess we will never know. I don't ever recall us being linked with Ba or Cabaye though.

It wasn't the fans that drove Houllier out though it was his health.

As for this notion that managers will work out with time, this is the case sometimes but certainly not all the time Martin O'Neill is an example of that.

I personally don't think McLeish being given time to build his own squad will be beneficial to the club so I'd rather he went now and we gave the right sort of manager time and money to build.

Ba I never heard.

Cabaye: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7281342/Cabaye-happy-with-choice

EVERY day I peer into this thread and EVERY day I still can't believe people are still going on and on about McLeish. You must be bored stiff by now,

He's staying. Get used to it and save yourself the ulcer

Not this old chestnut again. This is the McLeish thread. We know he's probably staying but that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

Exactly. We're going to have to do this at some stage. McLeish will not work. We face a choice: get rid now and start rebuilding this summer or get rid in a year/two years and start the rebuilding later.

Its not excuses though. Its quoting facts.

O'Neill left the club in an awful mess financially and indeed squad wise.

AM has had to deal with our chairman's cutbacks as well as trying to replace Downing, Young, Luke Young, Friedal, on a limited budget while also having to rely on our youth to make up the numbers in our squad.

Not exactly ideal is it.

Excuses are exactly what you are putting forward.

I really don't need to hear yet again what O'Neill left behind, I'm fully aware of it thanks.

What he inherited wasn't ideal but it is no worse than O'Neill inherited at Sunderland and look at the positive impact he made. McLeish has failed, nobody expected him to be challenging for 4th place but our performance this season has been terrible.

If you want to talk about facts.

Worst home form in 26 years.

7 league wins all season.

There are two big fat facts for you.

You mention those facts and i accept them. Yes they aren't good and there's no getting away from that but those statistics are as a result of what has gone on before AM's tenure than actually as a direct result.

so if this season is all down to what has gone on before, that includes the 7 wins we've had as well then eh?

read this for some facts

As I keep on stressing, I don't understand where this "decent bloke" tag comes from. What is it about him that makes him so nice exactly?
He benefits from the comparison to your mate Houllier :) who disrespected the club before he'd even arrived.
Houllier isn't my "mate", I just didn't dislike him and I think we'd be in a better position had he stayed and not had those heart problems.

D'accord, although that's down to McLeish's incompetence rather than Houllier doing a great job.

Hughes is doing a resonable job at QPR given the time he has had.

11 games 11 points and conceded 20 goals, thats a slightly worse record than McLeish and he spent more than anyone in January. That is not doing a 'reasonable' job.

Hughes is doing a resonable job at QPR given the time he has had.

11 games 11 points and conceded 20 goals, thats a slightly worse record than McLeish and he spent more than anyone in January. That is not doing a 'reasonable' job.

I'm sorry, I did'nt realise that he has been there for 11 games already.how time flies.

How about us, 32 games 35 points

The only positive's i can take from AM reign as manager are...

1. He's not afraid to blood the kids and give promising youth a chance.

2. He's got Stephen Ireland playing something like we know he can.

He's not afraid to blood the kids and give promising youth a chance!

What choice does he have?

Do you honestly think if he had a full squad of players to chose from that we would be seeing 6 or 7 academy players in the starting line up with another 4 or 5 on the bench?

Please don't give him credit where none is due. He has been forced into this situation and the kids may just save his arse!

Same. And those are some of the more difficult parts of management he gets right too, which is so frustrating. He gets the fundamentals horribly wrong.

Do you honestly think if he had a full squad of players to chose from that we would be seeing 6 or 7 academy players in the starting line up with another 4 or 5 on the bench?

Please don't give him credit where none is due. He has been forced into this situation and the kids may just save his arse!

agree with this, if dunne, cuellar, petrov, jenas and bent were all fit there is no way in the world you would see lichaj, baker, gardner, wiemann, herd or clark starting.

mcleish deserves no credit for being forced into this through injury. I dont remember people giving houllier credit for blooding the kids when he had to play them all last year

Think I've responded to your assertion that McLeish never blooded any of the younger players except out of necessity.

He's played the kids earlier in the season without being forced to. Giving Gardner his debut, playing Bannan, Clark and Delph etc. One of the few things he deserves credit for.

I think you will find that Bannan, Clark and Delph were in and around the first team well before McLeish arrived on the scene.

You may also find that the recent request to give McLeish credit for playing youngsters relates to the past few games when he has had no choice not to the smattering of cameo appearances he afforded to some earlier in his tenure.

Firstly, if by in and around the first team you mean warming the bench then yes sure they were. Delph got a run of 7 or so starts at the start of the season, and Bannan similarly. It took extremely poor form and a drunk driving accident respectively for them to lose their places which shows that McLeish put faith in them. Clark was utilized as a holding player and started a fair few (and some important) games. He also gave 19 y/o Gardner his debut and started him a couple of times of his own volition.

Although I agree that those who are requesting that McLeish get credit now (I don't think there are many) are way off the mark. It's quite clear his hand is forced, so it would be silly to suggest so.

The mirror have tweeted that martinez will leave wigan this summer as his contract runs out at the end of the season and cant agree terms for him and his backroom staff. Hopefully its true and villa will try and get him again. Come on randy you know it makes sense.

The mirror have tweeted that martinez will leave wigan this summer as his contract runs out at the end of the season and cant agree terms for him and his backroom staff. Hopefully its true and villa will try and get him again. Come on randy you know it makes sense.

AM is going nowhere! we cant afford to pay him off and RL will not want to lose face

So if Wigan go down you now want a manager who has been relegated when one of the main reasons you do like the current on because he has been relegated.

Martinez is about as bad as McLeish.. Do we really want to ditch McLeish only to get another manager that is great at keeping his side in the relegation zone all season? Sure the football may be better to watch but that won't mean shit if we're in the Championship in 2013/14 season. Yes McLeish could also get us relegated but if we're gonna sack him let's go for managers a bit better than a manager that narrowly missed relegation last season as is practically guaranteed it this season.

Â