The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I would rather have kept Houllier full stop, given his own summer transfer window, pre season with the lads to iron a few discrepancies out etc... I certainly don't believe we would have been in this kind of shambles, as I've said before though, if you're gonna go to the games and pay good money you have every right to boo or aim abuse at the manager, or the other way of protesting is to stay away and vote with empty seats, none of these are being done to potential....

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@morpheus:

Can I ask you a few questions to get this thing streightened out ?

1- Are the current Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid teams good ? if yes then do they have good managers ?

2-Was Liverpool under Shankley and Mercer good ? if yes were they good managers ?

3- Is Aston Villa good ? if yes is McStupid a good manager ? if no ? is McStupid a good manager ?

I can't think of any good teams that have bad managers,also I can't think of any bad teams that have good managers.

Work it out. ?!

@morpheus:

1- Are the current Man U, Barcelona and Real Madrid teams good ? if yes then do they have good managers ?

2-Was Liverpool under Shankley and Mercer good ? if yes were they good managers ?

3- Is Aston Villa good ? if yes is McLeish a good manager ? if no ? is McLeish a good manager ?

I can't think of any good teams that have bad managers,also I can't think of any bad teams that have good managers.

Work it out. ?!

Really? Good teams with bad managers..... West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea,.

Bad teams with good managers......QPR, WBA, Swansea, Norwich

No a chance will it be that low.

More like 30k-32k. Which is still low.

It is unlikely to be as low as B6 has said but entirely possible.

We had 30'000 tickets sold for the Stoke game (probably less used) and we've been previously led to believe around 25'000 ST holders. If accurate that means only 5'000 match day tickets sold.

So if there is a large slump in ST holders combined with poor performances next season resulting in low match day sales an average attendance of around the 25'000 mark really isn't that unthinkable.

This goes back to the discussion about whether Villa count non attending season ticket holders in the gate numbers. There was no way that 30,000 were there on Saturday, no way what so ever. After seeing low gates before I would gues that there were about 27,28000 but maybe even less.

I think some people are really under estimating just how bad this is, if those season ticket holders not turning up do not renew then thats a lot, add that to those season ticket holders who do turn up but wont renew then you have a big number.

The atmosphere is already poor at Villa park and lower gates wont improve this, in fact I would go as far to say that this will reduce the pay on the gate numbers even more.

I have had spare tickets this season and not even been able to give them away for nothing, that says something, people just dont enjoy going!

We had 30'000 tickets sold for the Stoke game (probably less used) and we've been previously led to believe around 25'000 ST holders. If accurate that means only 5'000 match day tickets sold.

So if there is a large slump in ST holders combined with poor performances next season resulting in low match day sales an average attendance of around the 25'000 mark really isn't that unthinkable.

This goes back to the discussion about whether Villa count non attending season ticket holders in the gate numbers. There was no way that 30,000 were there on Saturday, no way what so ever. After seeing low gates before I would gues that there were about 27,28000 but maybe even less.

I think some people are really under estimating just how bad this is, if those season ticket holders not turning up do not renew then thats a lot, add that to those season ticket holders who do turn up but wont renew then you have a big number.

The atmosphere is already poor at Villa park and lower gates wont improve this, in fact I would go as far to say that this will reduce the pay on the gate numbers even more.

I have had spare tickets this season and not even been able to give them away for nothing, that says something, people just dont enjoy going!

As I said I think the stoke game was a low attendance for a combination of reasons including but not solely down to the football.

Re atmosphere. 100% agree unfortunately.

Personally I was happy with Houllier and wished we had given him a summer and preseason but I would like the new manager to be younger and play a short passing style, keeping possession etc.

i would have rather kept houllier than got mcleish in. houllier wasnt great, the football was not great but at least we tried to win games even when the quality was not there.

mcleish is worse than houllier in every way, maybe he conducts himself better in press conferences but he is shocking

houllier got walker on loan while mcleish signed hutton for 4m shows the difference eh?

If the rumours are true, if Houllier had stayed last summer we would currently have Yoann Cabaye and Demba Ba playing for us, with Collins, Dunne, Warnock, ansd Ireland playing elsewhere. Add to that the performances we got from Bannan, Albrighton, and Clarke under Houllier.

As I said I think the stoke game was a low attendance for a combination of reasons including but not solely down to the football.

Re atmosphere. 100% agree unfortunately.

#

I dont feel those reason are justified. It was a bank holiday and no matter what these games have good attendances. The summer is worst and yet we still managed good gates. People may have gone away or gone fishing or whatever but at the end of the day they would noty have done so before and I would argue that that even if it wasnt a bank holiday they would not have come because those obvious emmpty seats have been quite common of late and only covered up by a good away following taking the gate over 30,000. I only went on satyrday to catch up on a beer with a mate as he is a ST holder who texts most weeks to say he cant be arsed as it sends him on a downer.

On a seperate note why do the Villa fans still sing "shit support m'lord"? its laughable under out current circumstances.

If the rumours are true, if Houllier had stayed last summer we would currently have Yoann Cabaye and Demba Ba playing for us, with Collins, Dunne, Warnock, ansd Ireland playing elsewhere. Add to that the performances we got from Bannan, Albrighton, and Clarke under Houllier.

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have a much better team if Houllier was still here. Building ANYTHING takes time, but buliding a football team can take years.

We as fans needs to be a bit more patient. Any manager needs time to bring his own players in. It doesnt happen overnight

Personally I was happy with Houllier and wished we had given him a summer and preseason but I would like the new manager to be younger and play a short passing style, keeping possession etc.

i would have rather kept houllier than got mcleish in. houllier wasnt great, the football was not great but at least we tried to win games even when the quality was not there.

mcleish is worse than houllier in every way, maybe he conducts himself better in press conferences but he is shocking

houllier got walker on loan while mcleish signed hutton for 4m shows the difference eh?

Yes, clubs would have been lining up to pay Dunne and Ireland £60k+/week wages.

Who would take Lee Clark?

YES (sorry for shouting), definitley worth a chance after what he done with Huddersfield, I know he couldn't get them into the Championship but kudos to him for the massive unbeaten run..

@morpheus:

3- Is Aston Villa good ? if yes is McLeish a good manager ? if no ? is McLeish a good manager ?

Work it out. ?!

Don't really understand these...by what stretch of the imagination are West Ham a good team?

And how are Swansea and Norwich bad teams? Ok they may not have star performers, but together they perform well, infact Swansea are widely acclaimed as playing fantastic football so I would say they are a good team.

@morpheus:

Work it out. ?!

Don't really understand these...by what stretch of the imagination are West Ham a good team?

And how are Swansea and Norwich bad teams? Ok they may not have star performers, but together they perform well, infact Swansea are widely acclaimed as playing fantastic football so I would say they are a good team.

West Ham in the division thet are in, with the wages they spend should be walking that league.

Swansea and Norwich are performing well above expectations due to thier managers IMO. Due to their managers' ethos and organisation. I cannot even name their teams.

@morpheus:

Work it out. ?!

Leon Britton and Joe Allen are two of the most accurate passers in European football this season. I'm pretty sure Swansea are toward the top of the table for pass completion rates. I know that might not necessarily indicate a 'good team' but to me a team that passes it successfully is a good side.

I can't believe that despite how shit we are and how poor McLeish's record is he's STILL getting lots of support from the fans. What more can this man do to get people on his back? Seems like no matter what he does people will always support him.

As I keep on stressing, I don't understand where this "decent bloke" tag comes from. What is it about him that makes him so nice exactly?

What I can't understand is how many people confuse him being a bad manager, with him being a bad person. We can only judge him on his public image, but from what I see his character and integrity are defamed because people disagree with what he says.

He what he says he does so without malice, and he always seems genuine and respectful whether you agree with what he says or not. He's certainly no Alex Ferguson that's for sure.

Ugly as a badger's ball bag, but seems like a decent enough bloke to me. I understand why he has become a hate figure, but I don't really agree with it.

Hardly anyone is saying he's a bad person. I don't know him personally but he does come across as a bit of a prick in interviews.

What's so great about his character and integrity? He left SHA in the shit (although this was actually to their benefit) to come to us and apparently he did the same to Hibernian (or Motherwell, not sure which one).

He's very disrespectful. Not directly but I think all the lies and attempts at deflecting the blame away from himself are very disrespectful to the fans. His whole attitude to football is disrespectful. He treats like we're some tin-pot club just looking to survive in the Premier League.

Fair enough if you don't think he's a bad person, but what is it that makes him such a nice person?

As I keep on stressing, I don't understand where this "decent bloke" tag comes from. What is it about him that makes him so nice exactly?
He benefits from the comparison to your mate Houllier :) who disrespected the club before he'd even arrived.
Houllier isn't my "mate", I just didn't dislike him and I think we'd be in a better position had he stayed and not had those heart problems.

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have a much better team if Houllier was still here. Building ANYTHING takes time, but buliding a football team can take years.

We as fans needs to be a bit more patient. Any manager needs time to bring his own players in. It doesnt happen overnight

I agree with the first part. As for the second bit, it's clearly not going to work under McLeish. He's proven in the past that when given a chance to build his own squad things don't get much better. Your rationale for keeping McLeish seems to be that managers need time, which they do, but not all managers work out even when given time.

Â