330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Big Eck as he has installed more fight in our team.

All the players in Houllier's future plans had fight..They were also playing nice football.

The only players not showing fight, were players he was shifting out of the club = the has-beens and high earners.

Players like Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, Downing, Young, Reo, Bent etc all looked good under Houllier, these players were going to be the key players this season...With Dunne, Warnock, Heskey etc all shown the door..We would be well on the road of progression now under Houllier...Yet we have gone backwards under McLeish.

I think with McCleish we will have stability and be comfortably mid table. Yes we won't score as many but think we'll score enough as won't suffer the downfall SHA had of having Zigic and Jermome as their strikers. Houllier didn't have the quality at his disposal to play the way he wanted to and we were far too open. Just look at the defence.

We look a lot tougher and sturdier and I expect us to fair better under McCleish despite having a severly weakened squad.

One of Houlliers main advantages was that he offered the prospect of an exciting transfer window, but it is quite clear given the current actions of he board that that would not of been allowed to happen.

I see the upsides and down of both. AM already has me scratching my head at his subs or lack of and that reminds me of frustration under O'neill. Houllier had me scratching my head for very different reasons. When we appointed them I wasnt really keen on either but I was willing to give Houllier more time than others and i'm also willing to be patient with AM. But I think its too early to vote in this poll.

I see the upsides and down of both. AM already has me scratching my head at his subs or lack of and that reminds me of frustration under O'neill. Houllier had me scratching my head for very different reasons. When we appointed them I wasnt really keen on either but I was willing to give Houllier more time than others and i'm also willing to be patient with AM. But I think its too early to vote in this poll.

^is pretty much where I'm at.

Players like Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, Downing, Young, Reo, Bent etc all looked good under Houllier

Downing left and he would have left under Houllier too

Young was always leaving this summer

The Youngsters he dropped when he had more experienced players fit

NRC, who Houllier offered a new contract to and refused to sign it

That leaves you with Bent, the typically British Bent.

Houllier liked Heskey btw no indication he'd have left

and the Dunne / Collins thing just shows how bad a coach Houllier was if McLeish can sort them out in a matter of weeks and Houllier had to wait until the summer like it couldnt be attended to straight away.

Making it up again, making it up to suit your argument

Houllier = A manager that would have us playing Champions League football within 3 years.

With the current funding levels? If he did that he would overtake people like Fergie in the greatest managers table

Its not just about money..

Wenger has built Arsenal up with a net spend in profit.

It is, and has definitely become more so. Wenger inherited one world class player (Mr D. Bergkamp) and one of the tightest defences ever, he then spent money (not as much as some, but still significant sums at the time) as well as astutely selling at huge profits. Houllier didn’t inherit anything like that, and nor would he have had the money Wenger spent. Wenger was a master then in the transfer dealings; Houllier has never had that in him.

Houllier was a disaster and it's clear the excuses made for him were pathetic.

He destroyed any fight the team had, he destroyed the defence, his football was gutless and only a handful of games came close to being entertaining. Going into the 37th game of a 38 game season we still weren't 100% guaranteed premiership football for the following year. He played Ashley young in the hole for over 20 games and this man is supposed to be clued up on football? He signed Darren bent which was hardly unearthing a gem and apart from doing spurs ( a team we rivalled the year before) a favour his transfers were poor. He disrespected the fans on more than one occasion and was the only manager I can remember for awhile needing the PR men at the club to beg journalists to ignore what he said.

Oh and our best 2 results came when he physically could have no contact with the players. Sums him up a treat.

A disaster from day one and actually made me lose interest in the whole of football for a few months.

I can't express in words how happy I was the day he left this club.

This.

Neather seem to be paticularly fantastic managers but I think the season would have been a more interesting one had we had Houllier.

We didn't look too bad in the run in last year. Would have like to see if he'd have kept that going this year.

As it is, it's pretty hard to get excited about this season. Mostly I'm just hoping for a trip to wembley in one of the cups for us whilst hoping one of Spurs, Liverpool or Arsenal implode and I can laugh at their expence.

^is pretty much where I'm at.

But in a much more eloquent way :)

Houllier. I'd be more optimistic about our final league position this season if Houllier was in charge.

I don't dislike Mcleish. I was against his appointment but I gave him a clean slate when he started, and that still stands. I won't judge him until he's had some time.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer Houllier to still be in charge.

I think with McCleish we will have stability and be comfortably mid table. Yes we won't score as many but think we'll score enough as won't suffer the downfall SHA had of having Zigic and Jermome as their strikers. Houllier didn't have the quality at his disposal to play the way he wanted to and we were far too open. Just look at the defence.

We look a lot tougher and sturdier and I expect us to fair better under McCleish despite having a severly weakened squad.

One of Houlliers main advantages was that he offered the prospect of an exciting transfer window, but it is quite clear given the current actions of he board that that would not of been allowed to happen.

Doing what McLeish has to make the team more defensive is not Rocket Science...Houllier could easily have done the same but he is far better than that...Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Delph etc will not improve in this style..They are leaning nothing about ball control, vision, movement or technical ability. Its boring "simple" football to grind out safe results. Its not progression like Houllier was doing..Houllier took the more risky and couragous way in the name of moving us forward. The young players were learning all the skills I mentioned above..Skills which would have made them very good players in the future.

I'd liked to see how Houllier would've done with a full pre season and all that. I think the the team and the play that started to take form looked interesting. His health said different.

I've been encouraged by AML's start to think that he might be rather good for us. We look more solid and I hope that he can pull out a gem or two before tomorrow night. Won't hold my breath, though.

But after not even a year with Houllier and just a long summer with AML I'd say it's impossible to say who I prefer. None and both. Sorry, can't take part in that poll.

Houllier was a disaster and it's clear the excuses made for him were pathetic.

A disaster from day one and actually made me lose interest in the whole of football for a few months.

I can't express in words how happy I was the day he left this club.

That's pretty much my view on The Hou, too.

Houllier took over at a difficult time and and never got a pre-season to really put his stamp on the team. He served up some awful results and some dreadful performances but I could accept that because I felt like we would progress into becoming a far better team in the long run and I still believe this would have been the case.

What we see now is pretty much the finished article, this is as good as we are going to be (apart from maybe zog who will start putting in the odd motm here and there) we are not going to progress as a team and the longer Mcleish is here the more this will hurt us in the years to come.

We have made a solid enough start against some very mediocre opposition but given the hatchet job that has been done on the squad (not Mcleish's fault before I get jumped on) we will inevitably burn out before Christmas and then anything is unfortunately possible. We have seen plenty of times just how drastic a slide we are capable of when this happens but we'll be doing it from a mid-table start point this time round.

I make no apologies for the fact I didn't want Mcleish, I don't want Mcleish and will never never want Mcleish as part of my football club.

Â