Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

I hate posting negatively all the times but something on here as been winding me up lately, and thats all the comparisons of Houllier and Mcleish in terms of performance.

Everybody on here claims Mcleish is doing brilliantly in terms of making us more solid and harder to beat etc...but what about winning? What about scoring Goals and entertaining?

People bang on about how Houllier was terrible for the club and how he could have got us relegated but I for one would prefer him over Mcleish.

Yes, We look more solid under Alex but I know what we are going to get every game. I know exactly how we are going to be set up and how we will play. His brand of British football, playing long ball and having big players will get us nowhere.

At least under Houllier we were trying to do something different. Trying a new brand of football. Something that might actually lead somewhere.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Lord. To some on here this is going to be like asking "Aids or Ebola" "Small Pox or Hantavirus"

FWIW, McLeish all the way. But he needs 2 years in the job without idiots calling for him to be sacked.

McLeish for me, Houllier despite this supposed love of the "British Game", never ever really understood it, not at Villa and not at Liverpool. For a club like Villa, McLeish is a much better manager. He can charm chairmen and piss off footballers, he'd fall out with a chair if someone painted boots on the legs.

Houllier was way too arrogant, anyone that decides not to work on the f**king obvious weakness in the defence until the summer is an idiot. It didn't take McLeish long so stabilise the defence. And most managers will tell you, you start at the back and if the back is the problem then it is that you must fix above all else. I would imagine there were managers up and down the country sniggering at Houllier when he made that particular statement.

Houllier was awful! And for all the people that rave about the football being better, well I didn't find losing very entertaining and a lot of the tippy tappy football was at times toothless and not very entertaining for me.

As for McLeish the solidity at the back is better but the creativity at times is woeful! However to be fair to him taking Ash and Downing out the team has had a huge effect on the style of play and that's down to the board!!

Hated Houllier, don't like McLeish either... Two bad appointments by a clueless board!

I would have like to see what Houlier could have done with another season or two. However I'm pretty happy with McLeish too.

Other than pure curiosity, I don't really see the point of the question tbh... it's not as anyone had a choice about Houlier's health. Sure, he might have been helped out the door, but keeping a manager who could quite possibly miss some of the season or be forced to retire wouldn't have been a good choice.

Houllier had international pull and some attacking flair. The defensive side would have been put together had he received some time to buy new players from abroad.

McLeish is extremely boring. I have lost that very proud feeling about Villa I had under MON - because right now we are just mediocre, boring and gutless. We know that every game against mediocre opposition will be tight, with few goals, few chances and little extra. Just look at the attendances against Blackburn Rovers and Wolves at home. Was it 30.000? In a city lacking other good football teams, with 1 million people in it! Liverpool and Manchester has about 300.000 right?

Big Feck, by a long, long margin.

Was happy when we appointed him, and am still happy now.

He has done exactly what he said on his tin. We;re well organised, and are now a tough nut to crack. WE can move on from there ....

The Hou? Disliked him, his football and his denigrating approach to our great club.

Houllier = A manager that would have us playing Champions League football within 3 years..He comes in and starts to rip it up straight away, like any decent coach would..Knows the strengths and levels required to be the best..Knows the tactics and styles and the training/coaching that comes with it to be the best.Looks at players like Richard Dunne and thinks he is crap and we need better performance/or replacements to move forward..The relegation scrap and upset players was early stages of turning a club around from the bottom up. He got into the mechanics of the club and started to build from the bottom.A manager that wants to be better than Fergie and prove it, a manager that will never settle with mediocracy. He is easily a manager that could walk out out in a CL final without feeling small, he can take anybody on.

McLeish = A mediocre manager for mid table finishes. Dosnt know the levels needed for CL Football, or European football because he hasnt spent enough time at the top, looks at players like Richard Dunne and thinks WOW he is brilliant, its his level as a manager. He would feel beneath a manager like Mourinho if we ever got to a CL finial against one of his teams. Hasnt the balls to get into the club and build it like Houllier was starting to..He is more concerned about making friends with players and being popular with fans..He just wants to get along and mingle within the same crowd as managers like Moyes, Pullis etc..

Houllier = A manager that would have us playing Champions League football within 3 years.

With the current funding levels? If he did that he would overtake people like Fergie in the greatest managers table

Its not just about money..

Wenger has built Arsenal up with a net spend in profit.

Â