Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

Houllier was our chance to break with the "British" hit-and-hope stuff and try to compete with the big boys on football terms.

McLeish is a return to standard. No doubt that will keep many Villa fans happy as we will be tough, solid and hard to beat at home....

... but our football will see us always on the outside looking in.

That said, AM gets at least 2 full seasons in charge before any poor performances make me call for his head. Shame others couldn't offer the same to Houllier.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lack of neither, I'll go for Houllier. Despite the unbeaten start, signs are already forming that we will become even duller than ever this season. Ultimately the clowns on the board are responsible for the malaise at Villa Park...proud history - dull future.

I agree about the comments on dull football.

There's nothing so exciting a s arelegation struggle. How we will miss Houllier's abilities on that front.

I think it is clear from the last three seasons on Big Eck's CV that he has considerably more ability in this area than Houllier??

I agree about the comments on dull football.

There's nothing so exciting a s arelegation struggle. How we will miss Houllier's abilities on that front.

I think it is clear from the last three seasons on Big Eck's CV that he has considerably more ability in this area than Houllier??

:lol: Good point.

Mind you, Eck has form with a shit team at a club run by a fraudster.

Houllier got into a relegation battle with the Villa squad, which is a much more heroic achievement IMO.

Mind you, Eck has form with a shit team at a club run by a fraudster.

Houllier got into a relegation battle with the Villa squad, which is a much more heroic achievement IMO.

I think he at least had a full pre-season and with a much more balanced team that had finished 9th (bizarrely where we finished last season - spooky eh?) the previous season and he had money to strengthen.

Ged went into the season without an attacking CM'er, with a defence that had started to leak goals before he arrived (Newcastle!), with a poorly balanced CM and without a striker until January (given Agbonlahor's injuries).

I didn't particularly like Ged either but I think holding out McLeish as better is just wrong.

Houllier was our chance to break with the "British" hit-and-hope stuff and try to compete with the big boys on football terms.

McLeish is a return to standard. No doubt that will keep many Villa fans happy as we will be tough, solid and hard to beat at home....

... but our football will see us always on the outside looking in.

That said, AM gets at least 2 full seasons in charge before any poor performances make me call for his head. Shame others couldn't offer the same to Houllier.

We tried it Houllier's way and were getting beaten too often. He went back to basics towards the end of the season and we started doing better.

Problem is fans are short-sighted. When they think of Houllier's reign it's OMG he almost got us relegated. We only finished 9th etc. They don't look at the bigger picture and see what Houllier was trying to do. If he was guilty of anything it was trying to change things to quick but I just put that down to enthusiasm. When it became apparent we were in trouble he reverted back to a safe formation with the regular first-team players.

Pity about his heart problems as I have no doubt that he would have taken Villa on to bigger and better things.

Mcleish is undoubtedly a big step backwards from Houllier.

Ah the 'big picture' argument, the last bastion of those who can't prove or back up their argument so claim some vision of a bigger picture that isn't visible to everyone who disagrees. Its a load of bollocks.

Bollocks Trent. It's not visible because it's a long-term plan and most people didn't give it a chance just becuase 'we almost got relegated'... despite the fact that it was the tightest league I've ever seen and we did finish 9th after 2 wins.

McLeish is doing OK with our squad because they're his type of players. Houllier's 'plan', if he had one, was to have a footballing-side. Many of our players aren't as comfortable with the ball as he would have liked. He probably did change too much too soon, but I think that if he'd been given another transfer window, and maybe had a defensive coach to help him at the back, I think he would have taken us forward and could have been challenging for Top 6.

That said, I don't mind either. McLeish is the safe option; play like we used to under MON, not much chance of getting Top 6 but also not much chance of relegation. Houllier; I liked what he was doing, despite a bunch of PR gaffes, and as someone once put it 'his glass ceiling was higher but also lower, than MONs'.

Ah the 'big picture' argument, the last bastion of those who can't prove or back up their argument so claim some vision of a bigger picture that isn't visible to everyone who disagrees. Its a load of bollocks.

Bollocks Trent. It's not visible because it's a long-term plan and most people didn't give it a chance just becuase 'we almost got relegated'... despite the fact that it was the tightest league I've ever seen and we did finish 9th after 2 wins.

McLeish is doing OK with our squad because they're his type of players. Houllier's 'plan', if he had one, was to have a footballing-side. Many of our players aren't as comfortable with the ball as he would have liked. He probably did change too much too soon, but I think that if he'd been given another transfer window, and maybe had a defensive coach to help him at the back, I think he would have taken us forward and could have been challenging for Top 6.

That said, I don't mind either. McLeish is the safe option; play like we used to under MON, not much chance of getting Top 6 but also not much chance of relegation. Houllier; I liked what he was doing, despite a bunch of PR gaffes, and as someone once put it 'his glass ceiling was higher but also lower, than MONs'.

No sorry I'm not buying it. I don't believe their was some grand plan only visible to some, as I said its bollocks. I think we could all see what Houllier was trying to do but the reality was he was failing badly, the players weren't behind him and as I've said several times now he wouldn't have had the funds to change them this summer.

Houllier only has himself to blame he made a mess of it, alienated the fans and the players and produced terrible results.

People can argue things might have improved this season but there is nothing to suggest that was the case and this notion there was some grand plan, some vision that only some can see is in my opinion utter crap.

Ah, the "load of bollocks" response - the last bastion for those that can't be bothered to come up with a reasoned response or counter argument! :winkold:

It's only a 'load of bollocks' for those who don't fully understand the game. All I need to do is point to his C.V. or maybe ask pro's like Steven Gerrard's opinion on Houllier.

I understand there was a lot of (unjust) anger towards him because of the Liverpool incident, but I find it hard to fathom anyone would think Mcleish is actually a better manager than Houllier.

Ah, the "load of bollocks" response - the last bastion for those that can't be bothered to come up with a reasoned response or counter argument! :winkold:

Actually you are right, I can't be bothered its a waste of time.

I give up.

Houllier was a genius, if only he could have seen through his grand plan. :lol:

Some fans knock the Man City line up in the FA Cup, without even realising why he chose that line up..Some fail to see the game was huge opportunity to try out some other players in the squad like Bradley out..The game was a competitive game where he could try out other players in the squad without it risking losing more points in a league game..He was expanding his squad and choices. He needed to see who else could step up if needed..The whole season was being used to build Villa for future...It was a transition season.

I think you're demonstrating a breathtaking level of ignorance or delusion here. Have you ever asked a fellow Villa fan, preferably an older one who goes to games, what it would mean to them if the Villa won the FA cup?

**** all the Anfield stuff, him treating the biggest cup we have a realistic chance of winning with such disdain was Houllier's worst act by miles.

How about 'let's see'. Man's had 3 games. I'd have expected 5-7 points from them, given the teams. We have 5, which is at the lower end of acceptable, but let's see what happens. He's had the **** rug pulled out from him anyway by player sales, but he probably expected that.

He's had the **** rug pulled out from him anyway by player sales, but he probably expected that.

I'm sure he knew players would go I'm not so sure he knew he would be given under half of what was generated to replace them.

It's only a 'load of bollocks' for those who don't fully understand the game.

FFS the 'I completed championship manager' brigade!!! The footballing illuminati!!!

The Houllier era was awful!!! A cantankerous old fool, who didn't even realize that you can't polish a turd or try to get Collins and Dunne pass the ball. A man who didn't even recognise that the defense is an important part of a team. I love the that there are people who think they are so superior to everyone else that they can 'see what Houllier was trying to build'. Bollox no one on here has a clue what Houllier was doing, FFS Houllier didn't know what he was doing!!!

Who is better GH or AM??? IMO both are mediorce and neither should have been appointed as the boss of our great club!!

Â