Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

Houllier was a disaster and it's clear the excuses made for him were pathetic.

A disaster from day one and actually made me lose interest in the whole of football for a few months.

I can't express in words how happy I was the day he left this club.

That's pretty much my view on The Hou, too.

Same here I simply couldn't stand Houllier.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference is what is going to get the fans paying money to come to Villa Park.

Hou - Signed Bent and attempted to get us to become a passing team which was entertaining at times. I doubt we could currently sign a 'Bent' type player if one was available. He had a lot of contacts and could probably sign a lot of players just based on that. Maybe if players like Dunne and Collins weren't such **** bellends the defence would have been sorted. Once he had shipped them out we would have seen how good we could have been.

McL - Ex nose which isn't a great start for getting fans to spend money on the club. I admit he has had his hands tied with funds but its still not good enough. Two 0-0s in three games, I dont care what you say, the players he is picking is defensive, Hou wouldn't have had Heskey playing central defensive midfielder! Who is going to want to keep watching this? He doesn't have the pull power to attract big names. Nzogbia could have played under McL at Brum, didn't want to but he came here because the lure is Aston Villa.

Hou was more concered about winning games, McL is more concerned about not losing them.

Houllier needed to be backed heavily in the window for us to avoid relegation. And he still was finding it difficult with Downing, Young and Bent in our team. All because he couldn't be bothered to fix our defence. If he had to work with the current squad we have now, relegation would have been on the cards again for sure.

At least McLeish has sorted out our defence problems and we don't look to be leaking too many goals. Still early days yet mind. I mean Given was the one who gave us the clean sheet against Fulham. Dunne and Collins did nothing special in that game.

McLeish for me considering the work conditions he has to work under.

I didn't want McLeish, I still don't but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Houllier had his chance and blew it. Period. Nothing about his time here was good in my view other than the signing of Bent. Houllier had far better resources available to him in terms of the squad and in terms of wages and transfer fee's and he achieved very little with it. In fact he almost took us down regardless of what our final league position was.

I don't believe for one minute that the situation in relation to spending and wages this summer would have been any different if Houllier had remained in place of McLeish which is a scary thought for me. Houllier couldn't produce the results last season with greater resources so there is no way he would have done any better this season with less resources and the same defence.

Working under the condiditions McLeish appears to be working at this summer/season I think Houllier could well have taken us down this season and would have likely signed a lot of players totally unsuited to the PL.

Houllier was a disaster and it's clear the excuses made for him were pathetic.

A disaster from day one and actually made me lose interest in the whole of football for a few months.

I can't express in words how happy I was the day he left this club.

That's pretty much my view on The Hou, too.

Same here I simply couldn't stand Houllier.

Agreed.

I jumped for joy when Mat Kendrick broke the news of Houllier's departure.

Neither, but this

I don't believe for one minute that the situation in relation to spending and wages this summer would have been any different if Houllier had remained in place of McLeish which is a scary thought for me. Houllier couldn't produce the results last season with greater resources so there is no way he would have done any better this season with less resources and the same defence.

Working under the condiditions McLeish appears to be working at this summer/season I think Houllier could well have taken us down this season and would have likely signed a lot of players totally unsuited to the PL.

is spot on. So, on reflection, have to say Eck gets the nod.

Not going to vote - too early to say.

I'd have preferred the "neither" option to be honest.

Cannot believe (well actually, now seeing what I financial mess we are in, I can, but you know what I'm saying) that we had to stoop this low to be honest given the managers that have been available of the past 18 months.

I do wonder if McLeish knew the full story when he signed. He seemed genuinely surprised and gutted to lose Luke Young last week.

So the question is sort of, would you prefer something you can't have to something you've got?

Ummm...

[clicks McLeish button]

Seriously, I have not for a long time felt as worried about the club as when Houllier was in control. What was he on? Dissing the club, ignoring and upsetting the fans, falling out with the players, crazy formations that left us vulnerable to average sides, refusing to do anything about the defence even though he knew there was a problem, appointing a chief scout on the basis that he enjoyed talking French to him.

Credit to him for buying Bent but only for that, really.

At least McLeish looks like a safe pair of hands who can get the ship back on a less choppy course

Not going to vote - too early to say.

I'd have preferred the "neither" option to be honest.

Cannot believe (well actually, now seeing what I financial mess we are in, I can, but you know what I'm saying) that we had to stoop this low to be honest given the managers that have been available of the past 18 months.

I do wonder if McLeish knew the full story when he signed. He seemed genuinely surprised and gutted to lose Luke Young last week.

Look at it this way.

The bravery he has shown in jumping ship and jioning us - a club that no decent manager would touch with a bargepole, due to the restrictions in place - shows that he has a lot of confidence in his ability, and he wont run from a fight.

I like that, and hopefully he will sooner or later, get the tools to do the job.

Look at it this way.

The bravery he has shown in jumping ship and jioning us - a club that no decent manager would touch with a bargepole, due to the restrictions in place - shows that he has a lot of confidence in his ability, and he wont run from a fight.

I like that, and hopefully he will sooner or later, get the tools to do the job.

Look at it this way.

There was nothing brave about that. He was either shipwrecked with the shower from the other side or he got himslef a better job. He jumped cause he knew they were in freefall. ours was probably the only job going.

That said we need a steady pair of hands and he is showing he is that. I'll give him time to provide a bit more excitement in our attacking play given where we currently are. i think this year will be a bit transistional with players going and having to free up some wages and some players contracts (on high wages) being run down this year, so I expect a busier summer next year.

If we had money or heck, even spent the money we have made by selling players, I'd say Houllier because I was interested in what he could achieve.

However given the circumstances and lack of money available and the 'work with what we've got' mentality that seems to be within the club right now, McLeish is a better man for the job.

Still though, we took something like 26 points out of 16 games once Bent signed which calculates around 60-62 points a season in terms of an average. So I saw positive signs he could be successful but I think we'd have seen lots of changes this season and that doesn't seem to be the policy at Villa at the moment, so it's probably for the best.

Â