Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

The way the media are reporting this today (by highlighting the panel's view that Suarez's evidence was, in their opinion, unreliable) will only make Liverpool fans more incredulous with rage. They will still see it as the 'FA' taking the word of Evra over Suarez.

The fact remains that Suarez admits (backed by video evidence) referring to Evra as 'Negro'. The only decision the panel then have to make is if this was used in a derogatory manner. I think reasonable Liverpool fans would have to concede that this was not used in a friendly context.

Therefore the ban should stay.

If the tramps have any sense they'll accept the ban and apologise to the FA.

They won't of course, they'll appeal and make right cock's of themselves

Supporting a racist r racist remarks cannot be condoned in any form

Read bits and pieces of the FA's decision.

Seems reasonable to find Suarez guilty. The burden of proof for this is not the same as criminal burden of proof ("beyond reasonable doubt") but more a balance of probabilities.

It was still up to the FA to prove Suarez was guilty, rather than Suarez having to prove he was innocent.

They've stated that Evra's testimony is not only just more believeable but also (and I think more importantly) more reliable.

They haven't just said "Well I don't think Evra would make up something like this so Suarez is guilty". They've looked at all the statements and the video evidence, and Suarez's testimony changed at times, including being changed to try and fit in with the video evidence.

Evra on the other hand was consistent throughout.

Also the idea that the use of the word "negro" in Uruguay (and other Spanish-speaking nations) is friendly is not entirely true. It can mean that word - Hernandez admitted in his testimony that they call one of the Mexican players a similar word as part of rapport.

But it can also be offensive. It's all about the context. And the FA believed that there was clear animosity between Suarez and Evra, and as a result the word "negro" would not have been used in building a rapport.

Coupled with the evidence of other individuals, including the referee being aware of an issue during the game (although not fully understanding the details), it seems reasonable to suggest that Suarez did in fact say "negro" five times, and did not mean it in a friendly way.

It may not be clear-cut, but that's not what is expected in a civil case. If it was a murder trial, then you need more than that. But as it's essentially civil, using the evidence to reach their conclusion seems reasonable.

And it's interesting that in their statement, Liverpool said:

"We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone..."

Whereas in the FA's document, it says:

204. Those facts provide the background to the main factual disputes between the parties, to

which we now turn. In broad terms, the principal factual issue which we have to address,

as agreed between the parties, is whether on the balance of probabilities, Mr Evra's

account is true and reliable.

Doing the rounds on Twitter is a report from some professor at Montevideo uni saying that the language in the fa report doesn't make sense, some bits of it would be spoken by someone who is from a different region than suarez etc etc basically complete and utter bollocks

it's **** desperate

First of all I would like to thank everyone so much for all the help and support I have received during these last few weeks.

Thank you to my family, my friends and everybody at LFC (the staff, manager and coaching staff, the directors, my team mates and everyone who is working on a daily basis for this great club) and thank you especially to all the fans who made sure I never felt let down for one second. During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means.

Like many of you I was born into a very humble family, in a working class neighbourhood, in a small country. But I was born and raised learning what respect, manners and sacrifice mean. Thanks to my family, from my first club where I started playing, to my transfer to Holland in Europe, I learned the values which made me the person I am now. Never, I repeat, never, have I had any racial problem with a team mate or individual who was of a different race or colour to mine. Never.

I am very upset by all the things which have been said during the last few weeks about me, all of them being very far from the truth. But above all, I'm very upset at feeling so powerless whilst being accused of something which I did not, nor would not, ever do.

In my country, 'negro' is a word we use commonly, a word which doesn't show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse. Based on this, everything which has been said so far is totally false.

I will carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who hasn't done anything wrong and who feels extremely upset by the events. I do feel sorry for the fans and for my team mates whom I will not be able to help during the next month. It will be a very difficult time for me.

The only thing I wish for at the moment is being able to run out again at Anfield and to do what I like most which is playing football.

Thank you very much.

YNWA

LOL at the statement :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/7o268nz

Oh and Liverpool's statement is even more laughable :

t is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.

Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match. The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season. This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter. There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion. The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.

http://tinyurl.com/7ptrn8y

"Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football. "

of course, of course. hmm.