Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Dennis Mortimer is absolutely right. I've been thinking the same thing for the past two seasons, if we go into the season with Petrov as first choice we are ****. He is far too slow now and his fitness levels have taken a real nose dive.

As a back-up, behind the scenes, helping players develop and being an all-round good precence, definately yes. As a 1st choice central midfielder to rely on, absolutely not. He is often the reason most of our good moves break down. He simply cannot pick out a good pass any more. His legs have gone!

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't quite believe there's so much hatred for a player who has basically shown a great attitude and respect towards the club since the day he signed. Also a player who seems to be a god influence in the dressing room and with the younger players.

Yes right now he's not good enough to help us challenge the top teams but he's a better option than an unproven makoun and young kids still learning the game.

Hatred? Difference between hatred and people who don't rate him.

Can't quite believe there's so much hatred for a player who has basically shown a great attitude and respect towards the club since the day he signed. Also a player who seems to be a god influence in the dressing room and with the younger players.

Yes right now he's not good enough to help us challenge the top teams but he's a better option than an unproven makoun and young kids still learning the game.

When we were challenging the top teams and having our best season in years petrov was a regular player in an important part of the pitch.

And i'm so sick of hearing about Nigel reo Coker. Fans used to chant his name for running around but at the end of the day he was a limited try hard. Look where he's ended up. It speaks volumes that when no transfer fee was involved the best team that wanted him in world football was Bolton wanderers.

Coker isn't good enough and was rightly told to **** off with his stupid wage demands. Petrov arguably shouldn't be our main midfielder any more but until he's replaced with better i really don't see why he deserves to be slagged off and insulted.

I don't think many people actually hate Petrov (I certainly don't) however I don't think he's up to it anymore.

I agree about NRC, he tried but like Petrov (in my view) isn't good enough to be starting for us.

FWIW I'd like to see a central pairing from Makoun, Delph and Gardner (if he's as good as people reckon) with Ireland and Bannan fighting for the AM role. That is assuming no other signings are made.

Stan does a job, simple as that. When we were pushing for the Top 4, he was a weak link in the side. When you're looking to get by in games and hold on to the ball when playing from the back, he'll do a job. That's about it.

from what i saw last year i thought Hogg was a better defensive midfielder than Petrov and offered more to the team

Hogg offering more than Petrov :lol:

Petrov isn't great but Hogg is one of the worst players I've even seen wear the Villa shirt :shock:

Mortimer is only saying what the majority of Villa fans have being saying for over 12 months, Stan needs replacing but the club don't see it that way, any thoughts that Ireland can improve the midfield will also end in failure.

Palacious of Spurs would be ideal if Randy would only spend some more cash.

Petrov is past it, hold onto him to have on the bench to play the last 20-30 mins if we're winning to help run down the clock, dont think he has any uses beyond this as when he plays more than 50 mins he comes to a stand still as he just isnt able for it any more.

bringing in the likes of Parker or barton would be brilliant, exactly the type of players we need despite what peoples opinion of them personally is, we need a fighter and a passer in midfield and either of these would be a huge step up

Petrov is past it, hold onto him to have on the bench to play the last 20-30 mins if we're winning to help run down the clock, dont think he has any uses beyond this as when he plays more than 50 mins he comes to a stand still as he just isnt able for it any more.

I agree with your assessment BUT I question whether this is worth £50k+ per week? If we could offload, I would.

Petrov is a 100% tryer and has been a good player & Captain for us, however he is now struggling to do the job he is in the team to do, I don't think anyone has anything against him as a person we just need a better player in that role.

Sooo...

Dennis Mortimer thinks to himself, "It's a while since my views have been printed in the papers. I need to make them sit up and pay attention. What to say? (a) Petrov is a good solid captain who has served Villa well and will do so for at least another season; or (B) he is no good and I wouldn't have him in "my team" (BTW, which team is that?)

"Let's think - (a) is correct but would get me no publicity.

"So, it's (B) then..."

:winkold:

Is it also true that only 19 people have bothered to vote in this poll? Or has the web site gone wonky?

Sooo...

Dennis Mortimer thinks to himself, "It's a while since my views have been printed in the papers. I need to make them sit up and pay attention. What to say? (a) Petrov is a good solid captain who has served Villa well and will do so for at least another season; or (B) he is no good and I wouldn't have him in "my team" (BTW, which team is that?)

"Let's think - (a) is correct but would get me no publicity.

"So, it's (B) then..."

:winkold:

Is it also true that only 19 people have bothered to vote in this poll? Or has the web site gone wonky?

*20: Even if I wasn't drunk I'd still be voting Stanislav!

Two-three seasons ago I would have called him the weakest link in a team trying to pursure Champions League standards. With Barry, Milner, Downing, Young etc etc.

Now, he is just about right at the correct level. Mediocre player, hardworking at least... in a team that will never finish either high or low. Between 9th and 15th place looking at our team and squad. With a slight possibility of going down of course, because our manager is poor and has shown that ability multiple times.

Â