Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Petrov.... easily the best CM midfielder at the club for the past few seasons

:shock:

Hope to god you aren't a talent scout.

Who else has there been then? And dont throw out the NRC comment because he can't pass and hasn't been able to pass for years. Petrov played a role for us and played it very well. It was no coincidence that when he came back into the team at the end of last season that we started picking results up again.

That we perform better with Petrov in the team is a complete myth and there are stats to prove it.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolton are a good club and on the way up, they have a very decent manager that plays nice football..There is no shame in having Bolton interested in your signiture. Have they caught up with Villa? I would say they have and as things are looking at the moment, its not hard to see they are a better organised club than Villa.

We let Downing, Young and Reo Coker leave..When it should be Heskey, Warnock and Petrov leaving instead. We are keeping our crap players and selling our decent players..Not a great model to follow if you want to progress.

A good Summer would still be shifting Warnock,Heskey and Petrov off our books and it should be the MAIN thing the manager should be looking to achieve. Not promising them all clean slates and giving them false hopes of a Villa future..

Can people stop spouting rubbish please!^^^^^^^

I have no doubts that we would like to shift a lot of players off the books in order to get some fresh faces in but guess what, someone has to want to buy them otherwise you have to pay off their contracts!!!!!!!! You call them crap! so that means they must really be in demand then! Easy to sell!

Downing wanted to go - he went and it was inevitable. Rather now for £20m whist market is still high. Got CNZ in to replace (a v good buy)

Ash was always going - Decent price for one year left. - (would like to have seen us use the funds from that one though to strengthen)

NRC - wanted too much money, so he left. Yes it could have been handled better but our managers (more than one) obviously took the view that what he was offered was what he was worth.

Can we please stop bringin up the same old rubbish, its getting tedious. if a player wants out then 9 times out of 10 he will go, especially if there's not much left on the term of his contract.

Back on topic - Petrov is a v good midifelder imho. Solid and dependable, even if somewhat one paced and loses energy after 70 mins. Becasue fo that I think we will mix in some of the v promising youth we have (likes of Delph, Clark and Gardner) in with Makoun and Stan and in all honesty I am not overly worried. It's not world class but then we fall short of that as a club anyway.

Petrov.... easily the best CM midfielder at the club for the past few seasons

:shock:

Hope to god you aren't a talent scout.

Who else has there been then? And dont throw out the NRC comment because he can't pass and hasn't been able to pass for years. Petrov played a role for us and played it very well. It was no coincidence that when he came back into the team at the end of last season that we started picking results up again.

Milner

Barry

There is no shame in having Bolton interested in your signiture

You're right. The shame, if this is about NRC, is in absolutely no-one else at all being interested despite you being available on a free for months. That's not a slight on Bolton at all.

Good luck to him though, I have nothing against NRC.

One thing DM is right about, it's Petrov's infuriating indecision on the ball. He takes forever to make up his mind after getting into a good position, and people making runs. What does he finally end up doing? Giving it back to the CB's. Houllier saw this midway through the season last year, and dropped him accordingly. When he finally came back into the fold, he seemingly corrected this problem...only to fall back on it.

This is my view of Stan Petrov.

1) He came here with a reputation for being an attacking midfielder in Scotland.

2) He hadn't got the pace to play that role down here and we were lacking someone who could sit in front of the back four and bring the ball out.

3) MON thought that he could get Stan to do that job and he wasn't too bad at it but certainly not the best!

4) MON realised this and bought in NRC to play that role but that went pear-shaped too 'cos he couldn't pass very well and he kept giving the ball away as quickly as he won it.

5) MON buys Delph to evolve into that role and makes do with Petrov for the time being.

6) MON leaves and is replaced by GH who rates NRC and brings him back in and Stan finds himself on the touchline, probably because GH knows he doesn't have the legs for it anymore!

7) We have a bad place in league and GH knows he needs to get some extra experience into the CM area and re-instates Stan alongside NRC.

8) The team starts to play better and gets the neccessary results to get out of trouble and stay up - Stan playing a big part in our revival.

9) NRC leaves and we are back to square one but with an older and more tired looking Stan as DM.

This is an area that we have needed to look out since the end of Petrov's first season. I think he could have been a much better player for us if we'd played him in front of a REAL defensive midfielder. However, these days he looks like his legs don't have the energy for the Premier League.

We should move him on if we could, if only to get him off the wage bill. But, ONLY if we can find a DM who can pass the ball a bit more than NRC did! If we can take his wages, I wouldn't mind us keeping him as a squad player as back-up for a new DM.

Everyone goes on about NRC like he is gods gift to midfielders If he was so good why were Bolton the only team interested then.??? For a guy that could not shoot or pass a ball its a bit over the top

Petrov cant shoot or pass either though!!!

Add to that the fact that NRC has a hell of alot more drive, is a much better tackler and is a better leader of men than Petrov.

To summarise:

NRC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>petrov

I'm not saying Petrov is "good" enough to be our best central midfielder by any stretch, in the sense that we need better players than Stan in that area, but he is still our best CM (if that makes sense) and he is the most proven of our crop - I'm sure Gardner, Delph, Makoun, maybe even Bannan WILL be better, but they are yet to prove it, at least consistently.

Petrov got fans player of the year only a few seasons ago, meaning a very substantial proportion of our fans voted for him - how has that changed so dramatically? His fitness lacks yes, but he is still not as bad as people make-out. Maybe he shouldn't start every game, but he does bring ball retention to our play which we have often lacked in the past and regardless of what people say, he breaks up the play well - there are facts to prove that.

One instance from some Villa stato from our last competitive game: http://astonvillablog.com/unbelievable-match-stats-from-petrov-in-liverpool-stats-round-up/

One game yes, but shows he's certainly still got it.

Petrov should play against teams when we will be in control of the ball and on the front foot.

He should not play when we are on the back-foot, his release play is too slow amongst other things meaning we get caught in possession.

gilberto,

He was very good towards the end of last season(as were alot of the squad) because Duverne's fitness training program was begining to take effect on the players. Petrov had never looked so sharp in his whole Villa life as when he did at the end of last season.90 mins on the clock and he was still full of running, as were the rest of the team. Whether or not the new fitness coach can get the same levels of fitness Duvere could remains to be seen..If he can, Petrov will be a very important player for us this season.If not, then he needs to be replaced.. Petrov v Chelsea and Newcastle with heavy defeats was a deflated unfit looking captain.. Yet Petrov v the end of last season he looked sharp and full of running.

That we perform better with Petrov in the team is a complete myth and there are stats to prove it.

06/07

With - 1.17 points per game (30 games)

Without - 1.88 points per game (8 games)

07/08

With - 1.79 points per game (28 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (10 games)

08/09

With - 1.72 points per game (36 games)

Without - 0 points per game (2 games)

09/10

With - 1.65 points per game (37 games)

Without - 3 points per game (1 game)

10/11

With - 1.37 points per game (27 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (11 games)

Totals

With - 1.55 points per game (158 games)

Without - 1.21 points per game (32 games)

Over a 38 game season, we're 12.92 points better off with Petrov in the side.

But clearly us performing better with Stan in the side is a myth and obviously there's facts to back it up. :lol:

The anti-Stan brigade are hilarious.

I value the opinion of a european cup winning CM more than some bullshit stats dragged up from some obscure website.

Besides, why are stats only relevant when people want them to be?! And why is it that it seems nobody is allowed to make a judgement on a player simply by seeing him with their own eyes?

Ive seen enough of Stan to last me a lifetime thank you very much. I KNOW hes not good enough.

I value the opinion of a european cup winning CM more than some bullshit stats dragged up from some obscure website.

Besides, why are stats only relevant when people want them to be?! And why is it that it seems nobody is allowed to make a judgement on a player simply by seeing him with their own eyes?

Ive seen enough of Stan to last me a lifetime thank you very much. I KNOW hes not good enough.

Do you not value the opinion of 3 separate managers that have all viewed him high enough to have him among the 1st player to be down on that teamsheet every week?

Do you not value the opinion of 3 separate managers that have all viewed him high enough to have him among the 1st player to be down on that teamsheet every week?

MoN?? Tbh, no - i dont value his opinion.

Houllier?? Didnt he drop Petrov for being shite? I also have no doubt that Petrov would have been replaced by now if Ged was still here.

Who is the other manager?

06/07

With - 1.17 points per game (30 games)

Without - 1.88 points per game (8 games)

07/08

With - 1.79 points per game (28 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (10 games)

08/09

With - 1.72 points per game (36 games)

Without - 0 points per game (2 games)

09/10

With - 1.65 points per game (37 games)

Without - 3 points per game (1 game)

10/11

With - 1.37 points per game (27 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (11 games)

Totals

With - 1.55 points per game (158 games)

Without - 1.21 points per game (32 games)

Over a 38 game season, we're 12.92 points better off with Petrov in the side.

But clearly us performing better with Stan in the side is a myth and obviously there's facts to back it up. :lol:

The anti-Stan brigade are hilarious.

nice work :clap:

In all fairness I don't think anyone on here is trying to convince you that Petrov is a world beater. I think the point to be made is that we have no one else who is going to replace him in the team unless some of the 'unproven' talent we have suddenly start to prove their worth or RL gives the manager £10m.

Â