Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I would like him to be replaced by a better player. However, all things considered, I'm not sure we have that player yet, so for me he still very much has a role to play.

But the above could be said about every player in every team in the league. We always want to improve every element of our side and get better and better.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We cant go forward until we get a better captain and DM. Reo Coker was the man that should have taken that role, he was as important to the squad as what Ashley Young was, yet we didnt try as hard to get him re-signed. Great move by Bolton to sign him and a perfect club for Reo to flourish and earn the England call up he will be trying to get. He has the drive, he puts in the effort, he has the engine and tackling ability to come up against the best players in the Prem. Petrov cannot do this job and we are going to suffer in both attack(as forward thinking players will be tracking back) and in defence(as our midfield is too weak teams will steam roll us).

Its come to the situation where all accross the board in other forums(incl this one) we are now discussing should we sign Barton? So how idiotic was it not re-signing Reo Coker?

Petrov wouldn't make my starting 11. I think he's fine coming off the bench but he just can't last a game anymore.

I'd like us to try leaving him out for one of the pre-season games and give his place to Delph or even Gardner, give them the full 90 alongside Makoun. If we're going to get the best out of N'Zogbia and Ireland they need the play to feet and I just don't see Stan fulfilling that task.

Great move by Bolton to sign him and a perfect club for Reo to flourish and earn the England call up he will be trying to get.

Sounds familiar that.

Gary Cahill? We all know how that one turned out. Another monumental cock up letting NRC go if you ask me

I really can't wait for everyone to see just how little impact NRC has at Bolton, can't believe how highly he is rated when the same people rate Petrov so low.
The problem we have here..Is that its NEVER about Petrov v Reo because both players are so different. Petrov is the holding player, whilst Reo is the engine doing all the running to slow down and disrupt an oppossition attack. He was the BEST tackler at the club and a vital player in MON's earlier success at Villa.. Petrov needs a player like Reo alongside him and Reo needs a player like Petrov, a player close to hand that he can feed the ball to upon gaining/winning possession. Many a game Reo has been the main man in the middle, yet so many fans failed to notice it. Our 5-1 win over Bolton, Reo captained the team and sat back and allowed the rest to play confidently, the Peace Cup he was the main dominatnt player, the 3-1 win over Liverpool, etc etc there are just too many games to mention. MON's 2nd season he was the no'1 tackler in the WHOLE of the Premiership, beating 2nd placed Mascherano as the player with the best stats on tackling.

I happen to think Petrov is a good player and takes far too much shit from everyone. The only point I would agree on is that he tires after the hour mark now but that does not mean he is shit.

Everyone goes on about NRC like he is gods gift to midfielders If he was so good why were Bolton the only team interested then.??? For a guy that could not shoot or pass a ball its a bit over the top. Petrov is a better player than NRC it just age catching up with him .

I agree also that he is probably our best midfielder at the moment as Makoun is still adapting to the premier league, Ireland is fecking useless , Delph has not shown anything yet , Bannan is unproven, Gardner is unproven. Our midfield is totally shit and I bet all the people who are saying Petrov is crap are the same people saying dont sign Joey Barton!!!! Utter madness

Everyone goes on about NRC like he is gods gift to midfielders If he was so good why were Bolton the only team interested then.???

I doubt any Premier League team would be interested in Petrov on the wages he is on, or if you significantly lowered them

Regardless of anyone's opinion, including DM's, until we acquire a new replacement then Petrov has to play. He's the only experienced midfielder we have and the jury is out on just about every alternative in the squad. If anyone is expecting Delph et al to solve all our problems then there are going to be some disappointed folk on here come Xmas. I acknowledge Petrov's days are numbered but unless AMc is backed in the market then I don't see any alternative.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, including DM's, until we acquire a new replacement then Petrov has to play. He's the only experienced midfielder we have and the jury is out on just about every alternative in the squad. If anyone is expecting Delph et al to solve all our problems then there are going to be some disappointed folk on here come Xmas. I acknowledge Petrov's days are numbered but unless AMc is backed in the market then I don't see any alternative.

I dont think Delph is up to it either

Bolton are a good club and on the way up, they have a very decent manager that plays nice football..There is no shame in having Bolton interested in your signiture. Have they caught up with Villa? I would say they have and as things are looking at the moment, its not hard to see they are a better organised club than Villa.

We let Downing, Young and Reo Coker leave..When it should be Heskey, Warnock and Petrov leaving instead. We are keeping our crap players and selling our decent players..Not a great model to follow if you want to progress.

A good Summer would still be shifting Warnock,Heskey and Petrov off our books and it should be the MAIN thing the manager should be looking to achieve. Not promising them all clean slates and giving them false hopes of a Villa future..

I think this coming season, Petrov will be more important to us than at any other point in his Villa career

I agree with this, but this could be said for any player that has been in our side for the past few seasons; simply because of the fact that we have lost a lot of quality.

Can respect Dennis as a player but he clearly can't pick a decent player if his life depends on it

but saying that I think Petrovs legs have gone so THIS season he will struggle but previously he had been a class act for this club and easily the best CM midfielder at the club for the past few seasons

Petrov.... easily the best CM midfielder at the club for the past few seasons

:shock:

Hope to god you aren't a talent scout.

Who else has there been then? And dont throw out the NRC comment because he can't pass and hasn't been able to pass for years. Petrov played a role for us and played it very well. It was no coincidence that when he came back into the team at the end of last season that we started picking results up again.

Â