Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

It just makes me laugh how somebody posts a load of meaningless stats followed by people re-quoting them and adding comments such as 'bravo' and 'well done'

OK, why are you foaming at the mouth, though?

He'll continue to be Villa's captain and a credit to the club.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmmm. I think you'll find I posted those stats in response to someone saying that it's a 'myth' that we are better with him and that there are stats to prove it. I as proving evidence that this wasn't the case and that we are better with Petrov in the team. I've already stated earlier in the thread why I feel he's valuable to the team. But you've just dismissed them as you've dismissed the stats, so I'm not going to bother. You're dismissing everything, facts included. Not worth the time.

Im not questioning why you posted them, im just questioning their validity. Like somebody else said, stats are usually bollocks and can be twisted in such a way to suit any argument. I prefer to judge players with what i see with my own 2 eyes when they are on the football pitch.

Houllier dropped Petrov? Bit of myth making going on there perhaps? Petrov went off injured in the 40th minute of the 1-0 defeat away at Sunderland in October. He picked up quite a bad knee injury, he returned to the side in the defeat against Spurs as a half time sub in December. That period of time is just about the only time Petrov didn't play at least 3 games every month of last season.

Hardly what I'd call dropped. He may have been rested in the odd game but I thought thats what rotation was about

He does need the rest though, for me he's not the player he was at the beginning of last season - I see him starting 15-20 games for us next season - unfortunately we've a few midfielder who should probably be doing that and no one really to act as an anchor for them.

If you want to judge Petrov against Reo Coker for tackling and defensive abilities in the midfield...Its only fair that you take the statistics from the last season that Reo played as a key member of the 1st team..And NOT just as a bench/back up player. As a player thats featuring regulary will normally get better readings/stats than that of a player thats spending alot of time in and out of the starting line up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/premierleague3

Tackles attempted and tackle success rate 2008

Reo-Coker 178 79.78%

Mascherano 165 75.76%

Malbranque 158 75.95%

Muamba 156 76.28%

Butt 151 71.52%

Clichy 150 80.67%

Warnock 130 76.92%

McCann 117 65.81%

Brown 116 81.03%

Brown 112 68.75%

I have been watching Villa for 40 years, and now go to about 15/20 games a season, i can't think of 1 game when i have said petrov had a good game.

He is average at best, and to be quite honest holds the team back with his pedestrian distribution.Mortimer is right, get him out of the team, preferably out of the club, and use the money saved to get a quality replacement like Parker or Diarra or Capoue, or Mariga, or try the kids.

Petrovs time has come and gone, likeable fella, apparently a very nice bloke, but should'nt be in the team.

Houllier dropped Petrov? Bit of myth making going on there perhaps? Petrov went off injured in the 40th minute of the 1-0 defeat away at Sunderland in October. He picked up quite a bad knee injury, he returned to the side in the defeat against Spurs as a half time sub in December. That period of time is just about the only time Petrov didn't play at least 3 games every month of last season.

Hardly what I'd call dropped. He may have been rested in the odd game but I thought thats what rotation was about

He was dropped to the bench for a couple of games after the game at Old Trafford (Blackpool away immediately springs to mind) IIRC. This was also the game where he made a big fuss about being subbed, and Houllier told him to 'leave his ego in the dressing room'.

I remember quite distinctly him being used sparingly around that time for the simple fact that he was so excruciatingly terrible in possession. Houllier did bring him back for the run in though, and he upped his game by that time. Seems he's falling back to his old habits though of late.

For me, DM is spot on and Stan has been our weak spot ever since his second game. He just doesn't have the pace, energy and drive (as DM correctly states) required for a top Premier League CM'er.

He struggled to get in the team in his first year and often ended up playing out wide right, where we had a huge gap. NRC and Barry were the CM'ers that season and, IMO, if we had had a right side that season we would have been challenging the top 4.

For some reason, the following season MON decided to change things around. We had a great period mid season BUT this was with a CM three and Stan's lack of pace was, to an extent, covered up. When we went back to a 4-4-2, with Stan and Bazza in the CM, we had the awful run where we won two out of 15 games or something like that.

The next season, Jimmy's pace and energy made up somewhat for Stan's lack of it.

Last year he was awful. We were forced, due to lack of options, to play a midfield pairing of Stan and NRC which lacks balance. Neither is a creative force and they were often standing on each other's toes. This was even worse when Delph was brought in to play with those two and then there was three CM'ers looking for the same balls. An earlier reference to him being world class in the home game against Citeh is just laughable IMHO.

Stan is pedestrian - he lets midfield runners glide past him and cannot track and, in so doing, really exposes our CB's as they are forced to go out and meet the runner which leaves gaps in behind - and rarely demonstrates that superb passing ability (an accurate 5 yard pass back to Collins for him to lump forward to the opposition doesn't constitute keeping possession for me!) that so many rave about.

For me, he should have gone 12 months ago and NRC, whilst not perfect, is a much better option. I would love for us to sell Stan to the Turkish (??) side that was supposedly interested last January and, amazingly, willing to pay a fee. Personally, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Mulumbu from the Boggies, but I see he has signed a new 3 year deal. There must be other options out there that would be better whilst certainly being less of a strain on the wage bill (£50k+ pw is a joke for Stan). Personally, I would rather see Hogg's energy than Stan.

I'm sure he is a lovely bloke but he is my biggest concern (in our supposed first XI) for the upcoming season.

Mortimer...slagging the fans off a few weeks ago and now the captain.....while his concerns may have some grounds bit of a pointless statement without coming up with alternatives. Who else can play alongside Makoun, who is the obvious choice for one of the two spots in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 We quite clearly are not going to splash anymore cash on players so until Delph, Gardner etc can prove they can cut it at this level on a consistent basis then Petrov will be featuring in most of the games.

Mortimer...slagging the fans off a few weeks ago and now the captain.....while his concerns may have some grounds bit of a pointless statement without coming up with alternatives. Who else can play alongside Makoun, who is the obvious choice for one of the two spots in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 We quite clearly are not going to splash anymore cash on players so until Delph, Gardner etc can prove they can cut it at this level on a consistent basis then Petrov will be featuring in most of the games.

I would play;

Clark

Hogg

Gardner

All at DM ahead of Petrov and alongside Makoun in CM. And mainly because you need an engine in DM that can cover alot of ground for 90mins.

For me, DM is spot on and Stan has been our weak spot ever since his second game. He just doesn't have the pace, energy and drive (as DM correctly states) required for a top Premier League CM'er.

He struggled to get in the team in his first year and often ended up playing out wide right, where we had a huge gap. NRC and Barry were the CM'ers that season and, IMO, if we had had a right side that season we would have been challenging the top 4.

For some reason, the following season MON decided to change things around. We had a great period mid season BUT this was with a CM three and Stan's lack of pace was, to an extent, covered up. When we went back to a 4-4-2, with Stan and Bazza in the CM, we had the awful run where we won two out of 15 games or something like that.

The next season, Jimmy's pace and energy made up somewhat for Stan's lack of it.

Last year he was awful. We were forced, due to lack of options, to play a midfield pairing of Stan and NRC which lacks balance. Neither is a creative force and they were often standing on each other's toes. This was even worse when Delph was brought in to play with those two and then there was three CM'ers looking for the same balls. An earlier reference to him being world class in the home game against Citeh is just laughable IMHO.

Stan is pedestrian - he lets midfield runners glide past him and cannot track and, in so doing, really exposes our CB's as they are forced to go out and meet the runner which leaves gaps in behind - and rarely demonstrates that superb passing ability (an accurate 5 yard pass back to Collins for him to lump forward to the opposition doesn't constitute keeping possession for me!) that so many rave about.

For me, he should have gone 12 months ago and NRC, whilst not perfect, is a much better option. I would love for us to sell Stan to the Turkish (??) side that was supposedly interested last January and, amazingly, willing to pay a fee. Personally, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Mulumbu from the Boggies, but I see he has signed a new 3 year deal. There must be other options out there that would be better whilst certainly being less of a strain on the wage bill (£50k+ pw is a joke for Stan). Personally, I would rather see Hogg's energy than Stan.

I'm sure he is a lovely bloke but he is my biggest concern (in our supposed first XI) for the upcoming season.

Despite being a BIG fan of Petrov, I will concede that a lot of that is fairly accurate.

But he did win manager's and fan's player of the year in his second season. If we're going to summarise his Villa career, this should not be forgotten.

We also looked a hell of a lot more solid last year when he came back into the side. We were a rudderless ship without him, and our points tally picked up on his return.

I don't doubt that it's probably time to start thinking about replacing him, but unforuntunately, no one in the squad is up to the task. If we had just signed Scott Parker, then I'd be tempted to bench him, but as it stands, he is still indespensable IMO.

Dennis "rent a quote" Mortimer lost all credibility the day he signed for Small Heath.

I'm guessing the younger fans (assuming they know who Mortimer is) don't know about his dark post Villa days as a player

I would play;

Clark

Hogg

Gardner

All at DM ahead of Petrov and alongside Makoun in CM. And mainly because you need an engine in DM that can cover alot of ground for 90mins.

Then I'm glad you're not manager.

Playing a central defender in midfield, a midfielder who's never gonna make it at Villa and a youngster who's yet to make his debut ahead of Petrov is just ridiculous.

One thing is sure and whether you rate Petrov or not doesn't matter, to me it's clear we need better cover in the central midfield positions.

Other than them we only have Delph, who hasn't proved that he can play in the Premier League (mainly because of injuries) so we'll be seriously **** if either Makoun or Petrov are injured IMO.

Â