Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Even if I slightly agree with what DM has to say about Petrov, I don't think it should have been said to the press.

It's a bit disrepectful to a fellow professional and not great PR for the club either.

As for the captaincy - who realistically can take his place???

Dunne - maybe but only if he regains his form of 2 seasons ago

Given - don't like keepers as captains

Collins - as per Dunne

Young - another possible but will he play every match

There's no one in midfield or upfront as they're either unsuitable or too young at the moment

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no one in midfield or upfront as they're either unsuitable or too young at the moment

I'd give it to Bent if we took it off Petrov. He'd love to be captain and is the first name on our teamsheet every week.

IMO only three options for captain, Given, Dunne and Petrov. In the future there is Clark and Gardner. Dont want Petrov to get it because I dont want him to be an "automatic starter" for us, by the way not sure if want Dunne to be that either....

the biggest issue at the moment is that there are no standout candidates for either captain or to boss the centre of midfield...

for captain, the only real candidates to lead a team, to me are stan, dunne and collins, and i don't think any of them are guaranteed first team starters... having seen them in hong kong both playing and training, all three are leaders on the pitch and i think any of them would do a good job as captain...

as far as stan's value as a player, i suspect, limited or not, he is going to play more this season than last, because i simply fail to see a credible alternative in our squad...

all of our other midfield appear lightweight to me... the young guys can do well when surrounded by senior players, not when wholly surounded by youngsters, which is what we saw in the early part of last season when we had injury problems... people like collins, stan, dunne, heskey have a valid role in the team providing the experience that allows the young players to blossom...

i think he's a yes to play most games and if so, i think he's as good a captain as we have at the moment...

Goalies as captains doesn't work.

Heskey could be an option as Capt

Heskey as Captain would mean he would have to play in every game. No thanks!

As our squad stands at the moment Dunne should be given the armband and the extra responsibility might just get him to focus a little better but i doubt it.

Just goes to show the dearth of experienced quality within our squad!

Even if I slightly agree with what DM has to say about Petrov, I don't think it should have been said to the press.

It's a bit disrepectful to a fellow professional and not great PR for the club either.

I agree. I am a bit disappointed that DM chose to get a cheap shot of publicity by launching a pointless attack on Stan, who, as far as I am aware, hasn't ever said anything bad about Mortimer (and has probably never said anything bad about anyone else in his whole life, which is one of the qualities he brings to his captaincy, I guess).

But, hey ho, the media beast must be fed and Dennis clearly likes to feed it. Perhaps it gives him a buzz to see his name in print.

Puyol captains Spain & Casillas does NOT captain Real

where are you getting your intel from

Thanks for the information.

Weird that they always let him wear the captain's armband and lift the trophies.

http://img.skysports.com/10/07/218x298/Iker-Casillas-Holland-Spain-World-Cup-2010-Fi_2476528.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nErQe11XWvU/Tc81o0h7adI/AAAAAAAABDw/DVFvWsu3Ii4/s1600/109428_iker-casillas_300_225.jpg

I agree. I am a bit disappointed that DM chose to get a cheap shot of publicity by launching a pointless attack on Stan, who, as far as I am aware, hasn't ever said anything bad about Mortimer (and has probably never said anything bad about anyone else in his whole life, which is one of the qualities he brings to his captaincy, I guess).

But, hey ho, the media beast must be fed and Dennis clearly likes to feed it. Perhaps it gives him a buzz to see his name in print.

Or maybe, and I know you will find this bizarre, he was asked his opinion and gave his honest view, which many on here share???

Off topic I think far too much is read into the captaincy. In Italy I think the eldest player wears the armband. Suggest that's not a bad stance and I'd be happy with Shay taking the armband.

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see who AM picks in the next 2 games. I suspect he is a lot clearer in his mind who the starting eleven will be come the Fulham game and whilst i expect Stan to start these next 2 games are the last chance to experiment with benching him.

Puyol captains Spain & Casillas does NOT captain Real

where are you getting your intel from

Were you banned from H&V for being stupid, too?

:lol:

I liked the capital NOT. It really added emphasis to an already bizarre statement.

Back on topic, I wouldn't have Petrov starting every week, but I do think he's a model pro and a good club captain.

Â