Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrov is a decent player for us. Agree he has peaked or certainly seems to have. Still, I would say he can play a part for us this season though I expect that Delph, Makoun and possibly Ireland to play ahead of him perhaps towards the back end of the season and next season.

Mortimer...slagging the fans off a few weeks ago and now the captain.....while his concerns may have some grounds bit of a pointless statement without coming up with alternatives. Who else can play alongside Makoun, who is the obvious choice for one of the two spots in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 We quite clearly are not going to splash anymore cash on players so until Delph, Gardner etc can prove they can cut it at this level on a consistent basis then Petrov will be featuring in most of the games.

I would play;

Clark

Hogg

Gardner

All at DM ahead of Petrov and alongside Makoun in CM. And mainly because you need an engine in DM that can cover alot of ground for 90mins.

Then I'm glad you're not manager.

Playing a central defender in midfield, a midfielder who's never gonna make it at Villa and a youngster who's yet to make his debut ahead of Petrov is just ridiculous.

One thing is sure and whether you rate Petrov or not doesn't matter, to me it's clear we need better cover in the central midfield positions.

Other than them we only have Delph, who hasn't proved that he can play in the Premier League (mainly because of injuries) so we'll be seriously **** if either Makoun or Petrov are injured IMO.

We are screwed if we play Petrov in DM too because he isnt a defensive midfielder. Basically if we are having to use what we have, its best to use players in DM that can a, tackle.. b, defend... and c, cover the ground to close down an opposing attck.. Now Clark, Hogg and Gardner can do all those things better than Petrov.

Hogg, Gardner and Clark should all be fighting for the defensive midfield place in the team.

Makoun, Delph and Petrov should all be fighting for the holding/CM place in the team.

Ireland and Bannan should be fighting for the creative/attacking midfield possition in the team.

For me, DM is spot on and Stan has been our weak spot ever since his second game. He just doesn't have the pace, energy and drive (as DM correctly states) required for a top Premier League CM'er.

He struggled to get in the team in his first year and often ended up playing out wide right, where we had a huge gap. NRC and Barry were the CM'ers that season and, IMO, if we had had a right side that season we would have been challenging the top 4.

For some reason, the following season MON decided to change things around. We had a great period mid season BUT this was with a CM three and Stan's lack of pace was, to an extent, covered up. When we went back to a 4-4-2, with Stan and Bazza in the CM, we had the awful run where we won two out of 15 games or something like that.

The next season, Jimmy's pace and energy made up somewhat for Stan's lack of it.

Last year he was awful. We were forced, due to lack of options, to play a midfield pairing of Stan and NRC which lacks balance. Neither is a creative force and they were often standing on each other's toes. This was even worse when Delph was brought in to play with those two and then there was three CM'ers looking for the same balls. An earlier reference to him being world class in the home game against Citeh is just laughable IMHO.

Stan is pedestrian - he lets midfield runners glide past him and cannot track and, in so doing, really exposes our CB's as they are forced to go out and meet the runner which leaves gaps in behind - and rarely demonstrates that superb passing ability (an accurate 5 yard pass back to Collins for him to lump forward to the opposition doesn't constitute keeping possession for me!) that so many rave about.

For me, he should have gone 12 months ago and NRC, whilst not perfect, is a much better option. I would love for us to sell Stan to the Turkish (??) side that was supposedly interested last January and, amazingly, willing to pay a fee. Personally, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Mulumbu from the Boggies, but I see he has signed a new 3 year deal. There must be other options out there that would be better whilst certainly being less of a strain on the wage bill (£50k+ pw is a joke for Stan). Personally, I would rather see Hogg's energy than Stan.

I'm sure he is a lovely bloke but he is my biggest concern (in our supposed first XI) for the upcoming season.

I agree with plenty of this apart from the Hogg bit, I just don't like Hogg.

Is that the crap Hogg who was probably MOM against Ure?

I think we are a bit too quick to write some of these youngsters off.We have about 10 youngsters coming through at the moment, and i think at least 4 could become top players, we probably need to give them a go.

Gardner would be wasted as a DM albeit I'm sure he could play there

He's a very mobile, AM, with skill & physical prescence

Probably the best youngster in the UK at present, even Wilshire raves about him

But for some reason we let the wrong player go.

You realise that "letting someone go" is what Newcastle are doing to Barton and NRC chose (his choice) not to renew his contract at Villa.

I'm fairly sure you will realise the difference between those two things so can you please stop saying "we let the wrong player go" and other such nonsense to back up your arguments when quite simply it isn't true and it isn't true with a factual basis

If I am quite honest I was slightly dissapointed when we signed the guy. Living in Scotland/Watching SPL I never really thought he was a fantastic signing for Villa. I feel like I have been proven right. He's the only player I will scream at for all his backwards/sideways passing. Yeah, no shame in going backwards/sideways but the number of times he does it (under no pressure) is laughable. Im not quite sure what Petrovs role is in midfield, he certainly doesn't break down play nor is he an attacking midfielder (scores very few goals and doesn't go forward). I wont lie however, I really like the guy's attitude but I think we can do much better. Those who state that NRC is a better player are very correct. Apart from NRC's passing he was easily our best central midfielder last season!! For me Id start with Makoun & Delph with Gardner, Bannan & Petrov as back up!!

Petrov plays like he's running on a pitch made of peanut butter...he's been past it for the last two years, IMO.

The "Goalscoring Midfielder" that he was billed as never really showed up at Villa, did he?

Plenty of effort, yes, the occasional great game, and a top guy, good demeanor, etc...but he never quite lived up to expectations. I'd keep him on the bench and use him as defensive cover to protect leads at the end of games...then say goodbye next June.

Not a big Petrov fan and would be glad to see him dropped/sold.

The guy can only last 60 minutes and at this level that just isn't good enough.

When I think of a great captain I think of someone like Roy Keane who lasted 90 minutes, full of drive, full of determination and an inspiration to the players around him.

Time to start seeing more of the other players IMO.

Well considering the only regular chant I heard for him in the Holte last year was '**** Off Petrov' surely he can't be that great. Truth is he isn't as bad as his biggest critics think and he isn't as good as his biggest fans think. He's quite an average player, does a decent job but nothing special which I think is what Mortimer is alluding to.

You realise that "letting someone go" is what Newcastle are doing to Barton and NRC chose (his choice) not to renew his contract at Villa.

I'm fairly sure you will realise the difference between those two things so can you please stop saying "we let the wrong player go" and other such nonsense to back up your arguments when quite simply it isn't true and it isn't true with a factual basis

You could argue that he was let go as they appear to have made little effort to retain his services, from what has been said subsequently. I guess we will never know for definite but equally you will never know the other way.

I think you are getting in to semantics anyway - SnC is arguing, and I fully agree, that he would rather we had NRC at this point than Petrov and I believe that this could potentially have been achieved if the club had tried hard enough and we might actually have been quids in i.e. potential transfer fee in for Stan (mooted last January) and lower wages for NRC than the £50k+ pw that Stan is supposedly on.

I think Dennis is spot on. Petrov is no longer up to the high tempo game that is the Premiership. He IS slow, he does take a while to pass the ball. The only problem is, his replacement is likely to be quite expensive and apparently we aren't spending any more cash. Petrov, nice guy, decent footballer, but not quite good enough any more.

Can't quite believe there's so much hatred for a player who has basically shown a great attitude and respect towards the club since the day he signed. Also a player who seems to be a god influence in the dressing room and with the younger players.

Yes right now he's not good enough to help us challenge the top teams but he's a better option than an unproven makoun and young kids still learning the game.

When we were challenging the top teams and having our best season in years petrov was a regular player in an important part of the pitch.

And i'm so sick of hearing about Nigel reo Coker. Fans used to chant his name for running around but at the end of the day he was a limited try hard. Look where he's ended up. It speaks volumes that when no transfer fee was involved the best team that wanted him in world football was Bolton wanderers.

Coker isn't good enough and was rightly told to **** off with his stupid wage demands. Petrov arguably shouldn't be our main midfielder any more but until he's replaced with better i really don't see why he deserves to be slagged off and insulted.

You could argue that he was let go as they appear to have made little effort to retain his services, from what has been said subsequently. I guess we will never know for definite but equally you will never know the other way.

I think you are getting in to semantics anyway - SnC is arguing, and I fully agree, that he would rather we had NRC at this point than Petrov and I believe that this could potentially have been achieved if the club had tried hard enough and we might actually have been quids in i.e. potential transfer fee in for Stan (mooted last January) and lower wages for NRC than the £50k+ pw that Stan is supposedly on.

Where is evidence that Reo was offered a contract? The last I heard was that Houllier was looking to hold talks with the player but has since departed from the club, so have these talks still taken place? If so why did Reo Coker come out to the press and say he found out he was "released" by the club through media sources and was surprised because he still assumed contract talks would begin under the new regime.

But you are right in your post whichever happened.. Petrov was the player the club should have removed this summer and Reo was the player they should have negotiated with to extend his contract further. With him going to Bolton, his demands cant have been too much. I feel we have let this 8.5m signing go too cheaply when he is coming into the prime of his career as a solid proper DM. He looked excellent at times last season under Houllier and I thought his passing range had improved.

Either way, if we went out and signed a player like Mariga, then it would be an improvement on Reo and Stan. And im all for releasing/selling/not willing to offer better contracts to players "if" we signing a replacement that proves to be an improvement.

Â