Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I value the opinion of a european cup winning CM more than some bullshit stats dragged up from some obscure website.

You mean like Gordon Cowans?

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee, we had NRC who does the job that Petrov is supposed to do, only better. Im not saying we should go and spend 10m on a new midfielder (although it would be nice) but to let Reo go for nothing with only Stan as a viable alternative is just madness.

This is my main point

I value the opinion of a european cup winning CM more than some bullshit stats dragged up from some obscure website.

You mean like Gordon Cowans?

Do we know Cowans' opinion on the player? For all we know he could think hes shite as well.

In fact, id say thats the most likely/logical opinion that he has formed of Petrov after seeing him play for 5 years....

That we perform better with Petrov in the team is a complete myth and there are stats to prove it.

06/07

With - 1.17 points per game (30 games)

Without - 1.88 points per game (8 games)

07/08

With - 1.79 points per game (28 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (10 games)

08/09

With - 1.72 points per game (36 games)

Without - 0 points per game (2 games)

09/10

With - 1.65 points per game (37 games)

Without - 3 points per game (1 game)

10/11

With - 1.37 points per game (27 games)

Without - 1.0 points per game (11 games)

Totals

With - 1.55 points per game (158 games)

Without - 1.21 points per game (32 games)

Over a 38 game season, we're 12.92 points better off with Petrov in the side.

But clearly us performing better with Stan in the side is a myth and obviously there's facts to back it up. :lol:

The anti-Stan brigade are hilarious.

Stats can prove anything if you twist them enough. For example take out this season when he hasn't played alongside either of our recent top class midfielders (Barry and Milner) and we have scored more points on average without him in the side. Its only this season which has been so topsy-turvy that the stats help out Stan's cause. If we can get another top quality midfielder in (such as Parker) then maybe we'd be better without him in the side?

He has been pretty much a guaranteed starter and as such any replacement midfield pairing haven't had a long enough run to establish themselves. I think its time to change and whilst I think he's a 'tidy' footballer that isn't really enough.

This is the Guardian's take on our centre of the park - 'Elsewhere, Stilian Petrov, Jean Makoun, Fabian Delph and the versatile Ciaran Clark are likely to be competing for two places in what feels like a less than inspiring central midfield.'

Guardian article - http://bit.ly/n2IU4s

I really would go all out for Parker, I think he's still got the drive that we so desperately lack.

Do we know Cowans' opinion on the player? For all we know he could think hes shite as well.

In fact, id say thats the most likely/logical opinion that he has formed of Petrov after seeing him play for 5 years....

He's a current coach in a side that thinks Petrov is worthy of his place. In the absence of quotes all we have is what we see, and what we see is Stan being picked regularly by the coaching staff so it's more safe to assume he rates him than it is to assume that he doesn't.

That we perform better with Petrov in the team is a complete myth and there are stats to prove it.

06/07

07/08

08/09

09/10

10/11

Totals

But clearly us performing better with Stan in the side is a myth and obviously there's facts to back it up. :lol:

:D Bravo! :notworthy:

My opinion of him is that he's fading out - there's a place for him at the right times in the right games and the right situations - in a side playing patient, slow possession football he's a useful man to have around. As a regular starter, I think his days are numbered - I also think that started last season when he played less games than in previous years.

He's a current coach in a side that thinks Petrov is worthy of his place. In the absence of quotes all we have is what we see, and what we see is Stan being picked regularly by the coaching staff so it's more safe to assume he rates him than it is to assume that he doesn't.

When Cowans was promoted to first team coach (during Houlliers time here) Petrov was subsiquently dropped. NRC came in and results instantly picked up.

06/07

07/08

08/09

09/10

10/11

Totals

/thread

Sir Dennis better stick to women's football.

Well, if your agenda is whether NRC is better than Stan then it seems a pretty pointless thread. If we'd kept NRC then our squad would be stronger, however to suggest NRC is the answer is ludicrous. Both players have their faults and neither are of the quality to take Villa forward. But as I've stated it's not going to change unless RL has a lottery win so let's pray Delph or someone else can come up with something special. I'm not holding my breath mind.

So the official Premier League site is now an 'obscure website'? :?

Sums it up for. Official stats from an official site now being dismissed because you have no actual response to them.

It just makes me laugh how somebody posts a load of meaningless stats followed by people re-quoting them and adding comments such as 'bravo' and 'well done'

Like thats it, cased closed, Petrov is amazing and these stats prove it. Bollox.

Try to be a bit more constructive. Try telling me what he brings to the team and then i might listen.

Ummmmm. I think you'll find I posted those stats in response to someone saying that it's a 'myth' that we are better with him and that there are stats to prove it. I as proving evidence that this wasn't the case and that we are better with Petrov in the team. I've already stated earlier in the thread why I feel he's valuable to the team. But you've just dismissed them as you've dismissed the stats, so I'm not going to bother. You're dismissing everything, facts included. Not worth the time.

Petrov.... easily the best CM midfielder at the club for the past few seasons

:shock:

Hope to god you aren't a talent scout.

as pointless posts go that is up there

Seeing as Petrov has made rathera successful career in football one could suggest that my potential career as a talent scout stands a better chance than yours :winkold:

Â