Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry dont think he was missed that much today. Swansea hardly dominated our midfield and in last 30 minutes Herd adn Bannan were controlling the middle of park

I really think if we had started with a midfield 3 of Herd, Bannan and Jenas (replacing Heskey and Delph) then IMO we would have seen a completely different perforamance and more positive result for us.

sorry dont think he was missed that much today. Swansea hardly dominated our midfield and in last 30 minutes Herd adn Bannan were controlling the middle of park

I really think if we had started with a midfield 3 of Herd, Bannan and Jenas (replacing Heskey and Delph) then IMO we would have seen a completely different perforamance and more positive result for us.

I would put Petrov back in instead of Herd. Herd always looks shaky on the ball, whereas Petrov is always tidy (even though the ball usually ends up going back to the defence). We clearly missed that yesterday. Makoun used to (and still does) get slated for simply being tidy, but we've gotta have someone in there keeping the midfield ticking. Delph and Herd's first touches were usually bad, and ended up giving possesion straight back.

Agreed Zat. I think he's become far too immobile.

OK, he keeps the ball well and is tidy, but at times the play just goes on around him. He lacks the athleticism that is needed at the top level, IMO.

Regardless what anyone on here thinks, I don't "hate" Petrov but the fact of the matter is: if your saying Petrov not being in the midfield is a cause of bad performance then your best midfield is in a pretty sorry shape(which I think it is).

Petrov is holding us back tbh.Nice bloke, but too slow, too immobile, too jaded.Was a bit disappointed with Delph yday, and Herd needs to be more positive, but together they protected the back line quite well yday, and they will get better, Petrov won't.

If the big issue wirh RL is the wage structure, then don't play Petrov, Heskey, Dunne, all the high wage earners the wrong side of 30, get rid in Jan or the summer, and buy a player like Capoue, or Sissokho, who would greatly improve the team, be on less wages, and if needs be have a sell on value.

Thanks Stil, 1 good season in 5, no more than average, but time to move on.

For all those Petrov fans , how many teams would he get in, in the Prem?Certainly none above us, thats for sure.

We looked lost without him yesterday but I think taht was magnified by the fact that we had 2 youngsters starting as CMs, which is never a good thing in the prem.

It's amazing how opinions differ. I thought (if anything) yesterday showed exactly what a negative influence Petrov is on our midfield.

Against a team who's best work is done through their midfield pass and move triangles, we practically dominated the centre of the pitch from the off.

The two young lads showed energy, drive and a willingness to go forwards with the ball. All a welcome distraction from the backwards style of Petrov

He's been wasted for years as a holding player when he is an attacking midfielder naturally.

but he wasnt very good at it and was too slow for PL and MON had to get him in the team and played him deeper which in fairness has worked

He's been wasted for years as a holding player when he is an attacking midfielder naturally.

but he wasnt very good at it and was too slow for PL

Correct. This is the Petrov dilemma

He hasn't got the engine to be a Scott Parker type ball winner / cleaner upper.

And he also hasn't got the engine to be the attacking forward thinking type either.

Basiclally he's somewhere in between the two, in that he can't do either job well enough to warrant a guaranteed start every week

Which has been our problem for quite a while. We've been seeing him as first pick, when quite simply he hasn't done anything to warrant it

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Reebok.

Petrov was excellent again today and once again led by example. Him and Herd both put in a great shift in the middle.

Another goal and should have had an assist to his name after beating the offside trap and showing a cracking bit of skill to beat his man and laying it on a plate for Bent.

The title of this thread makes me chuckle every time it resurfaces.

As a football commentator/analyst, Dennis Mortimer makes a great former captain of a team that won the European Cup 30 years ago.

Petrov is going from strength to strength this season and we will have a hell of a job replacing him in the side when his time is up.

Agreed it was another very good performance from Stan today and had Bent finished from his assist it wouldn't have been such a tense last 15 minutes or so.

I hope Quitter doesn't come calling for him in January as his experience will be vital - is it too much to wish that Quitter comes in for Beckenbauer Heskey instead ?

Petrov tires after an hour though.. :crylaugh:

Great performance overall. Won te battle in midfield and got forward well. Great run and skill to set up the Bent chance, then a very smart run on the ball late on followed by a very clever pass to set up that Albrighton chance which resulted in a good save.

Top performance by the captain.

Â