Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shows just how far backwards the Bulgarian team has gone over the last four or five years, certainly since that WC semi-final side.

Terrifying to think that was 17 years ago. :shock:

Terrifyingly long ago? hardly, I was only 2 around those days. :P

You must be about 19 then :detect:

Something they're sorely lacking. Any of the current crop of so-called young players (Popov, Ivanov, Delev, Mihailov etc.) have already been thrust into the full national side because they just don't have anyone else. Looking beyond that, there's a distinct lack of genuine prospects for the future, save for maybe Radoslav Kirilov (and even he's still unproven outside of the Italian youth system)

they have gone backwards bigtime. I remember the last time i watched Bulgaria Kishishev was playing and he was poor in his prime.

shows just how far backwards the Bulgarian team has gone over the last four or five years, certainly since that WC semi-final side.

Terrifying to think that was 17 years ago. :shock:

Or to put it another way (stolen from Football Weekly):

Bebeto's 'swinging arms' celebration, the baby whose birth he was celebrating signed his first professional football contract this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Every season, people moan about Stan. Every year, Stan is one of our most consistent performers...

(consistently good, before anyone cracks a joke)

He tires after 60 minutes yes, but we'd sub him off if we had anyone better...

He does pass every way but forwards yes, but at least he doesn't lose possession...

When he came back from injury last year, our midfield and all round play improved dramatically...

That is all.

Still warrants a spot but if his contract end next season then that should be that, need to start scouting NOW for a replacement or groom Herd/Clark in preperation (which he is with Herd to be fair). Would expect Herd maybe to go on loan one Jenas comes back to fitness.

He does pass every way but forwards yes, but at least he doesn't lose possession....

Until Donkey Collins then hoofs it up to ... Bent and the ball comes straight back at us. Might not have to if Stan could MOVE to look for the return ball.

Yes everytime we give the ball away its petrovs fault.

There are 10 outfield players but its petrovs fault if we lose the ball.

He needs to be replaced in the Summer(or in Jan if we get a chance). The position needs a far more dynamic, stronger personality in a player. Who is tough with good drive on the ball. Petrov is like a puppet and far too soft and lathargic for the role. I think Mortimer looks at it as a position he would relish if he was a younger again and maybe watches Petrov in frustration at just how nimble, slow and ineffective he really is in such a role. Watching past players like Roy Keane and Dennis Mortimer, you can easily see what is missing from Petrov's game. And even looking at more future players like Fellaini and Tiote, you again can easily see where Petrov falls short as the stronghold in our midfield..

He does pass every way but forwards yes, but at least he doesn't lose possession....

Until Donkey Collins then hoofs it up to ... Bent and the ball comes straight back at us. Might not have to if Stan could MOVE to look for the return ball.

Yes everytime we give the ball away its petrovs fault.

There are 10 outfield players but its petrovs fault if we lose the ball.

Clearly my English is not as strong as I thought. I didn't think I wrote what you have said. :winkold:

In fact, I thought I specifically said that Collins gives the ball away so I am not sure how you could interpret that as you have.

I do believe, as said above, that we need a more dynamic mobile CM to work the ball forward thro' passing and moving.

If you could get your blinkers off for a moment and stop automatically trying to defend Stan all of the time then maybe you could contribute in the debate as to how we improve what is clearly a weak department of our team - whether that is players or the formation we play or the combinations might make an interesting topic?

If we can get Jenas along side him and start to control games we can have a front 4 of Ireland, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor and Bent and things should start to improve.

Petrov has been a solid performer so far. Last season he frustrated me, this season he has been very good.

Played well today - terrific goal and excellent delivery for the second. If he could only produce both more often...

Generally very good performance though - we know he's not the long-term answer but he's still one of the few players we can at loeats rely on to play with some heart and determination for the cause.

Him scoring the odd long range effort dosnt make up for the problems that lie deep within the side which he plays some responsibility for. I look at Petrov as the kingpin and stalwart in our midfield, yet all too often it lacks any kind of structure, which he as the senior player should be part responsible for. We never control the midfield battle anymore, we cannot pass the ball or keep it for very long. There seems to be no reasoning behind the pass that gets made, no clues or ideas. Nobody is the driving force, its all too boring with no real direction. If he has brains and experience, why is the midfield so poorly organised? I would swap his goal today for a far more assured midfield performance by the team.

Him scoring the odd long range effort dosnt make up for the problems that lie deep within the side which he plays some responsibility for. I look at Petrov as the kingpin and stalwart in our midfield, yet all too often it lacks any kind of structure, which he as the senior player should be part responsible for. We never control the midfield battle anymore, we cannot pass the ball or keep it for very long. There seems to be no reasoning behind the pass that gets made, no clues or ideas. Nobody is the driving force, its all too boring with no real direction. If he has brains and experience, why is the midfield so poorly organised? I would swap his goal today for a far more assured midfield performance by the team.

Which is all very well and a beautifully contructed post but the fact is he played very well today goal or no goal.

I have to say that he did play well today and scored a great goal. If that muppet McLeish had played an ACM - Ireland or Gardner - instead of Heskey we might have had a chance of winning!

Anyone with a clue about football can see that it was poor defending that meant we didn't win that game today. Guess you could call our manager a muppett for the defending or maybe think that you are lashing out as you had to say Petrov had a good game.

Â