Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't only the goal. The free kick/assist for the 2nd goal, LONG after the 60 minute mark when he is supposed to fade according to the Petroiv-bashers, was pretty ace as well. We would have been pretty well stuffed without Petrov today.

I have to say that he did play well today and scored a great goal. If that muppet McLeish had played an ACM - Ireland or Gardner - instead of Heskey we might have had a chance of winning!

Anyone with a clue about football can see that it was poor defending that meant we didn't win that game today. Guess you could call our manager a muppett for the defending or maybe think that you are lashing out as you had to say Petrov had a good game.

I wouldn't disagree that their two goals were poorly defended BUT anyone with a clue about football would also know that if we had a proper third midfielder (instead of effectively playing with ten men) we would probably have mullered them IMO. We could have been out of sight with eleven men before Sessegnon even got a sniff for their second.

I would be over the moon if Stan could play like that every week. I think it is no coincidence that, for the first time in ages, he was playing with a CM that was prepared to sit and do the dirty work and let Stan play his game.

Sometimes you can't win on this site. I am not a big fan of Stan BUT I have come on and said that he has played well today and then get accused of lashing out because I had to say this! Bizarre.

I've never doubted his ability, he's a class act

Cannot believe the abuse he gets on VT

Its only the odd muppet that gives him stick. The vast majority of fans know what he brings to the table - work rate, leading by example, great reader of the game, excellent at keeping possession and keeping us ticking over, very good tackler and great at drawing a foul. Its also good to see him getting forward more this season and bagging the odd goal.

Over the time he has been here he has consistently been one of our better performers. He'll need replacing in the next couple of years and it will certainly be easier said that done.

Its a real shame that others in the squad don't have Stans work rate, desire and attitude.

If that muppet McLeish had played an ACM - Ireland or Gardner - instead of Heskey we might have had a chance of winning!

I'll quote this one again as you seem confused. 5 minutes to go and 2 - 1 up, that is a chance of winning surely? Why didn't we win from that position? Because of shit defending or because we weren't playing Ireland or Gardner?

Makes me laugh the way some folks just love to jump on our captains back. Led by example today, against aq pretty weak Sunderland side. Was kind of obvious that that second Ssunderland goal would come, as we always give away late goals, Dunne yellow for complaining about a shoulder charge tackle, etc....

Stan led by example, did very well, and was nice to see him score once again. bent should have finnished it one on one with the keeper at the end, but was indecisive in his placement. Not Stans fault there.

Petrov has played for Villa for five years now. Time really does fly!

I think he's still got at least two years left in his tank to play for us. Hasn't shown any sign of aging yet and he's still a key player here.

If that muppet McLeish had played an ACM - Ireland or Gardner - instead of Heskey we might have had a chance of winning!

I'll quote this one again as you seem confused. 5 minutes to go and 2 - 1 up, that is a chance of winning surely? Why didn't we win from that position? Because of shit defending or because we weren't playing Ireland or Gardner?

I have said that I agree - the defending was poor and we shouldn't have conceded either of those goals.

However, I'll clarify what I am saying because you seem equally confused. I am not talking about the last 5 minutes, I am talking about the whole of the game. If we had had eleven effective men throughout the game I believe we would have been out of sight by the time the last 5 minutes arrived. What is so hard to understand about that?

Tbh, that challenge from Dunne at the end wasn`t even a foul, and he seems to have got the yellow card for complaining rather than an actual foul. Still, last minute goal conceded.

See that a lot from our team. Costs points.

Lack of concentration? Game finnished in the head? Whichever reason, I wouldn`t put it down to Petrov.

I think he's still got at least two years left in his tank to play for us. Hasn't shown any sign of aging yet and he's still a key player here.

If Petrov plays for another 2 years we will go nowhere. A long range effort and a couple of decent corners/set pieces does not make him a class player. We have struggled in just about every game so far this season(mainly lower opposition) to grab a hold of the midfield and control the game..Which Petrov, as our kingpin, stalwart and senior player has to take some responsibility for. He may well score the odd goal from a long range effort but at the same time he failing miserably in his role. The midfield needs to be strong, stable and keep its balance so that the rest of the team can play well, this includes the attack and the defence. We are at present a bunch of allsorts with no direction or purpose.

If Petrov did his job the whole play and team would look alot better. I can see where Dennis Mortimer is coming from, as he used to rule his midfield, which made the play around him just fall nicely into place. The whole team needs to think we have a stalwart in the centre controlling the game, this then breeds confidence through the team.

Mortimer as captain, wouldnt have stood for players like Heskey and Hutton just constantly passing into no man's land. Its about leadership, team work and the will to want to control and win the game on the field of play...yet we dont seem to have any of that mentality.

Around sir Dennis:

Bremner-Cowans-Morley with Shaw and Withe in front of him.

Petrov:

Zog, Herd and Heskey with Bent and Gabby in front of him.

The only one who could claim a place in the first line-up from the 2nd one is Bent. That's why the first one won the league and the European cup, whilst the 2nd one is at best a 7th place team. My point is that Mortimer had the easier job. And was better. Nothing against Petrov that.

If Petrov plays for another 2 years we will go nowhere. A long range effort and a couple of decent corners/set pieces does not make him a class player. We have struggled in just about every game so far this season(mainly lower opposition) to grab a hold of the midfield and control the game..Which Petrov, as our kingpin, stalwart and senior player has to take some responsibility for. He may well score the odd goal from a long range effort but at the same time he failing miserably in his role. The midfield needs to be strong, stable and keep its balance so that the rest of the team can play well, this includes the attack and the defence. We are at present a bunch of allsorts with no direction or purpose.

If Petrov did his job the whole play and team would look alot better. I can see where Dennis Mortimer is coming from, as he used to rule his midfield, which made the play around him just fall nicely into place. The whole team needs to think we have a stalwart in the centre controlling the game, this then breeds confidence through the team.

Mortimer as captain, wouldnt have stood for players like Heskey and Hutton just constantly passing into no man's land. Its about leadership, team work and the will to want to control and win the game on the field of play...yet we dont seem to have any of that mentality.

I remember when all Ashley Young had to do in a match was score a world class effort from outside the area and put a pinpoint free kick for an assist to be deemed our best and most irreplaceable player.

• 4 weeks later...
Â