The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

44 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Gollini playing for Atalanta tonight against City. Matured into a good keeper it seems. 

He has kept 1 clean sheet in 6 months and Atalanta regularly concede goals

59 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Gollini playing for Atalanta tonight against City. Matured into a good keeper it seems. 

Helped then qualify for the CL last season and called up to Italian national side this autumn.

• Like 2

Not an ex-player, but Gerard Houllier was recently talking about his regrets about having to leave management. He wanted to stay on at Villa as DoF and have McAllister as head coach but Lerner didn't want this and wanted to prize Alex McLeish from SHA instead. Also talked about giving Yohan Cabaye a tour of VP and signing Gervinho among others. I guess Lerner preferred to see the famous Dutch 4-3-3 and Alan Hutton and Charlez N'Zogbia come through the door instead.

• Sad 1

McLeish was a shit choice but Houllier was a dickhead to the squad. He fell out with Dunne, Carew, Collins, Petrov, Warnock probably a couple of others too. No man management at all

As Petrov said was no chance he would have turned it around at Villa

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He has kept 1 clean sheet in 6 months and Atalanta regularly concede goals

Still from not being good enough for a mid table Championship team to becoming a Champions League keeper for a team in seria A in 4 years is not bad going.

I always liked him. He was just raw.

I always saw something in Gollini that I liked, and it wasn’t his rap skills. He wanted an Italian GK coach, which we wouldn’t give him. Either way, I’m much happier with Tom Heaton now. It’s mad to think how many keepers been through in the last three years. 

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McLeish was a shit choice but Houllier was a dickhead to the squad. He fell out with Dunne, Carew, Collins, Petrov, Warnock probably a couple of others too. No man management at all

As Petrov said was no chance he would have turned it around at Villa

I listened to that interview with Petrov, and whilst I can see where he was coming from, I do think he came across a bit bitter against Houllier. Those players you’ve mentioned pretty much had free reign under MON, and that was how he liked it. We all know those rumours that MON was very hands off approach. It did a decent job for those years, but there certainly was improvement needed. Houllier was a complete change of playing style, change of managerial approach and coaching ethic. He wanted his own players to play his style, he probably wanted a different reign (there’s the rumours that he told Gabby to stop bulking up and to go back to the whippet like player, Gabby disagreed). 

Personally I think the contacts Houllier had within the game and the knowledge of youth players he had, DOF would’ve been perfect for him and us. 

But hey we’ll never know now 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I listened to that interview with Petrov, and whilst I can see where he was coming from, I do think he came across a bit bitter against Houllier. Those players you’ve mentioned pretty much had free reign under MON, and that was how he liked it. We all know those rumours that MON was very hands off approach. It did a decent job for those years, but there certainly was improvement needed. Houllier was a complete change of playing style, change of managerial approach and coaching ethic. He wanted his own players to play his style, he probably wanted a different reign (there’s the rumours that he told Gabby to stop bulking up and to go back to the whippet like player, Gabby disagreed). 

Personally I think the contacts Houllier had within the game and the knowledge of youth players he had, DOF would’ve been perfect for him and us. 

Also it depends on the characters in question I guess. Liverpool had a similar culture shock when he came in but the players now can't speak highly enough of him and how he changed the culture there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I read a interview with Warnock and Houllier told him he could go home after a game. When he did Houllier lambasted him in front of the squad and told him he wouldnt play again. He had no people skills and all he wanted was to talk about Liverpool 

Â