The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Evidently Burnley fans aren't like this. Some clubs, usually the smaller ones just have a more jovial,, patient fanbase.

They've tended to focus their anger and scapegoating on the EU rather than their players. With Brexit done now they will be at a loose end. (I've just visited their forum and there seems to be more brexit than football chat).

1 hour ago, momo said:

Shit "supporters". Think how much better the team would be if we cheered the players up.

It’s not just us, every club has tidiest supporting.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

That's the one that grates on me. If you're not John McGinn or running around like a headless chicken like Trez you're "lazy",, an ironically lazy criticism.

I have no problem with people saying stuff like this and being critical of a performance especially in a football forum. That may be how they interpret things. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think people do forget these are people and not robots, like at transfer windows demanding instant signings. These players have wives and kids cant be uprooted at drop of a hat.

As for the Westwood thing i was never a fan though I dont think I ever personally abused him but its easy to abuse players now on Twitter and its disgraceful but any inbred can go online now. I see the Premier League are doing a mental health campaign and I saw some players are starting to come off Twitter which will be good for them. Wesley thread is scary that I be scared to see what Twitter or Facebook is like.

This is exactly it for me. There has to be a distinction between critiquing a performance and giving personal abuse. And the personal abuse has to be stamped out 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I have no problem with people saying stuff like this and being critical of a performance especially in a football forum. That may be how they interpret things. 

I have no issue with it when it's actually warranted like at the end of Kodjia's time here or McCormack, but AEG is far from lazy. People just trash players for no reason, but the favourites get a lot more leeway. McGinn being a perfect example. That's where you'll find measured criticism because he's a fan favourite. Everyone else bar a select few just get it in the neck, especially after a bad result.

• Like 1

Graham Burke scored 5 for Shamrock Rovers against Cork City tonight. Back there on loan from Preston, seems happier over here and performs. 

Have seen Kevin Toner has fallen away from League of Ireland football, playing with a junior club called Kilmore Celtic now, only 23 still. He was better than Lescott in that season.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

10 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Graham Burke scored 5 for Shamrock Rovers against Cork City tonight. Back there on loan from Preston, seems happier over here and performs. 

Have seen Kevin Toner has fallen away from League of Ireland football, playing with a junior club called Kilmore Celtic now, only 23 still. He was better than Lescott in that season.

Once saw him try to snap someone in half in an U23 game. Not surprised he has fallen out of the game. Moron.

Put everybody in a miserable Saturday morning mood, here is a potential Villa team still playing. Centre back a bit scarce

Gollini

Young Tuanzebe Mings Amavi

Veretout Gana Milner

Adama                                 Jack

Tammy

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Bacuna headbutting teammates.

Bellend

An absolute poisonous word removed. I can’t stand the bloke. Let’s not forget he tried to start on Conor, shouted at Bruce and pushed over a linesman whilst here. I remember going into second season in championship and he was still at us. Opening home game, I’m a few sheets to the wind and apparently I’m just sat there in upper holte, calling him a word removed (not that he could here obvs) every time he touched the ball. He left the next day I think, I like to think I played a part in ridding us of him :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Corey Blackett-Taylor with an assist and last minute winner for Tranmere at Shrewsbury tonight.

He was my own suggestion into Tranmere :) His best game for Tranmere yet tonight  Sam! He took Kayne Ramsay (On Loan Southampton 19 Year Right Back to the cleaner's)

Go on Corey... well done! Please keep this up for rest of the season!!!! Very happy tonight... He is a talent and he's improving all the time!!

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

He was my own suggestion into Tranmere :) His best game for Tranmere yet tonight  Sam! He took Kayne Ramsay (On Loan Southampton 19 Year Right Back to the cleaner's)

Go on Corey... well done! Please keep this up for rest of the season!!!! Very happy tonight... He is a talent and he's improving all the time!!

Congrats Chris! Must be a great feeling. I just wish it wasn't against Shrewsbury as they are a lower league side of couple of mates & I have an affinity for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dai-sport.com/53867-2/

Former Bluebirds’ favourite Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35. ‘Whitts’ spent more than a decade playing for the Bluebirds and Dai Sport journalist Terry Phillips pays tribute to the talented playmaker,

It was the day I retired after almost 50 years in sports journalism around the UK. Looking up from my desk in the sports department on the sixth floor of Media Wales tower, I spotted Peter Whittingham stepping into the room.

Puzzled, I carried on watching and ‘Whitts’ was followed through the door by another club legend, defender Scott Young.

It was a stunning moment when they arrived at my desk and presented me with gifts from the Bluebirds to mark my 25 years reporting on Cardiff City.

‘Whitts’ spent a decade playing for Cardiff, making 460 first team appearance and scoring 98 goals.

The former Aston Villa player was a major hit for the club. He had magic and power in his left boot, while he scored 25 goals during 2009-10.

He was a one-off special talent who had magnificent technique. It was fabulous to watch him in action.

He served the Bluebirds with pride and passion. Yes, ‘Whitts’ was one of the most laidback professional footballers I met during my journalism career, but behind that quiet exterior was a man passionate about playing for City.

Off the pitch, Whittingham was always polite, invariably willing to chat with City supporters and the local media. He played for England’s under-21 team 17 times and, after signing for Cardiff City, he was selected again. I rang him at the national training camp.

He answered his mobile and was, as always, happy to talk. But he asked: “Do you mind if I ring the gaffer in Cardiff to make sure he’s okay with it?”

I replied ‘of course’ and Whittingham rang me back five minutes later after Malky Mackay gave the go-ahead. 

Whittingham was in the 2008 FA Cup teams against Barnsley in the semi-final and Portsmouth in the final, both at Wembley Stadium.

He was back at Wembley for the 2012 League Cup final against Liverpool and helped Mackay’s squad win the Championship title a year later.

It was a personal pleasure when I was invited, by Mackay, to join Whittingham and all the Bluebirds players on the open top bus tour of Cardiff to celebrate promotion to the Premier League.

Whittingham was named in the Championship team of the year and was voted Cardiff player of the year twice.

His winning goal against Barnsley in 2011 was Football League goal of the season – one of many fabulous strikes, particularly from free-kicks, ‘Whitts’ smashed in for the Bluebirds.

The man from Nuneaton was named in the Football League Team of the Decade (2005-15).

During a 15-year professional career, he played 795 first team matches and netted a century of goals – 98 for City and two for Villa, including a Premier League strike against Portsmouth.

Whittingham was born in Nuneaton, attended King Henry School in Coventry and started his playing career with Villa.

One of the biggest regrets of his playing career was that he left the Bluebirds without being able to bid farewell to club fans before making the move to Blackburn Rovers in 2017.

“I wanted to say goodbye to everybody surrounding the club, the fans,” he said.

“That’s something I would have loved to do.

“The gaffer (Neil Warnock) offered me a one-year contract and said ‘You’re not going to play as much as probably you’d like’.

“That kind of rubber-stamped things for me. Leaving Cardiff after such a long time was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make.”

Whittingham’s final appearance for Cardiff was during a win at Huddersfield. His last home game had been a week earlier at Newcastle.

The Bluebirds’ faithful gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted just after the hour against Newcastle.

“I loved my time with Cardiff,” he said later. “It was amazing.”

Cardiff fans launched a campaign for Whittingham to be awarded a testimonial, which would have given him the fanfare he deserved.

Make no mistake, Whitts’ loved playing Football and adored pulling on a Cardiff shirt.

“I’m not one of those footballers who can train all week then sit and watch,” he said. “I always wanted to play as many games as possible.”

Whittingham dedicated the best years of his playing career to the Bluebirds. Personally, I’ll remember his playing style, his passion for football plus those delicious passes and shots forever.

Â