The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone read the Stephen Ireland interview?! Says much about McLeish's limited style of management even if he liked him personally.

He hated Houllier even more by the sounds of it. Backs up what Petrov was saying recently about his arrogance and man management

Anybody really surprised by this after his Anfield antics

Stephen Ireland has blasted former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier after their time together at Aston Villa.

“I’ve played for a few really, really horrendous managers,” he told The Athletic.

“I thought one in particular was Gerard Houllier. It baffles me how that guy has ever got a football job, and it scares me. It makes me think that I could easily be a manager if he’s doing it, my gardener could easily be a manager if he’s got a job, because I thought he was that bad.

“Every team talk Gerard Houllier gave was about his time at Liverpool. He was like: ‘Come on guys, because I told Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy this, and they went out and done this in the second half.’ I’m thinking: ‘You’re trying to get us riled up for the second half by telling us about Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy?’ Honestly, you would see everybody giving each other the eyes.

“I didn’t think he had a clue about football. Everybody is training like maniacs to get in the team on Saturday and I remember he was four football fields away looking at the flowers and walking around with his hands behind his back. How is he picking the team on a Saturday? It’s frightening, frightening. That’s what killed me.

“He didn’t play me. He gave me bits and pieces here and there, made me play with the kids again, and I thought: ‘What the hell is going on?’ He sent me on loan to Newcastle and arghhhh… it was just like, ‘What is going on with my career?’

“On reflection I should have pulled the plug on Villa. When O’Neill left I should have jumped ship then. I wish, looking back, I had more time to think, but before you know it I was at Villa in the Villa training kit.”

https://www.football365.com/news/former-liverpool-manager-branded-really-really-horrendous

The full Ireland interview on The Athletic is well worth a read. I know the intention was to paint him in a good light but it does give an interesting insight.

Him and Micah Richards playing tonight on Sky for the Company testimonial. Should be an entertaining watch :crylaugh:

Watching Delph yesterday was really annoying me tbh.

He was a million miles off the pace, a second late to everything, and then after committing another ridiculous foul was making a very public show of lambasting his teammates for him having to "do it all alone"

Truly pathetic and someone should have called him out on it.

You were a bit part player at Man City, just calm down mate. You're not Pele.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice little piece on Oscar Borg.

Full article in the link

Wanted by Man Utd to Spain’s third tier: Oscar Borg’s sliding doors story

Oscar Borg

Oscar Borg played with Marcus Rashford, Declan Rice and Scott McTominay, but while those three thrive, Borg is trying to get his career back on track in Spain.

The Surrey-born defender, whose previous clubs include West Ham United and Aston Villa, was set to sign for Manchester United in the summer of 2014 having spent pre-season with the Reds.

But the move broke down and, six years later, he is plying his trade at Arenas Club de Getxo, in Spain’s third tier, after joining the Basque Country side over the summer.

“I was at West Ham when United contacted them asking if they could have a look at me,” Borg says. “To get an approach from the biggest club in the world was surreal.

“It was the first day of pre-season, so all the first-team squad was there and Juan Mata came up to me and wished me all the best.

“As a 16-year-old, for someone like that to say those words was something I could only have dreamed about.”

He lined up alongside Rashford, McTominay and Axel Tuanzebe when United took part in the annual Milk Cup competition in Northern Ireland, and his performances prompted the Red Devils to offer him a permanent contract.

“After the tournament, my parents and me sat down with the club and United told me they wouldn’t let me walk out of the door without signing. I was ecstatic.”

The transfer did not materialise, however, and it is something he can still not fathom.

“There was no indication about what went wrong and nobody has ever explained it to me,” Borg, now 22, says.

“These things happen in football and I went back to West Ham, where I had to focus because there was no point getting caught up in it.”

Moving on to Villa

Borg, whose uncle, Colin Pates, played for Chelsea and Arsenal, spent time at AFC Wimbledon before West Ham snapped him up.

Despite progressing through the Hammers’ academy, where his coaches included West Ham legend Steve Potts, he came to the conclusion there was no clear pathway to the first team.

And so Borg, who counted Rice and Grady Diangana among his team-mates in east London, moved on to Aston Villa, where he had been on trial at when he was 14.

“They wanted to sign me, but I was 14 and I didn’t think I should move away from home at such a young age. Villa told me they had watched my progress for the next four years, so I was happy to sign.

“It was just towards the end of the 2015-2016 season when they were about to be relegated from the Premier League, so I thought I may be given a chance in the first team.”

That opportunity never arose, though, and Borg spent most of the following campaign injured.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/the-story-of-the-player-wanted-by-man-utd-whos-ended-up-in-spains-third-tier/

54 minutes ago, choffer said:

Enda looking pretty comfortable at Premier League level and enjoying beating Woolwich Wanderers tonight. 

He has recorded the 2nd highest speed so far by a player in the Premier League this season which is a bit of a shock for me

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50240601

Burnley Under-23 coach Steve Stone has been told to stay away from the club while he is the subject of an internal investigation.

Stone was on the coaching staff at Newcastle before joining the Clarets in November 2018 to replace Michael Duff.

The 48-year-old has not been suspended but has missed his side's last three matches, with his assistant Andy Farrell taking the team in his absence. 

Burnley declined to comment on the reason for the investigation. 

Stone won nine England caps as a player and is a former Nottingham Forest team-mate of Burnley manager Sean Dyche.

The Clarets' Under-23 side finished third in the Professional Development League and reached the final of the Lancashire Senior Cup last season.

They have gone 13 games unbeaten in the current campaign, drawing their last match 1-1 at Leeds on Monday.

Â