The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Kudos to Jimmy Milner. Whilst his manager felt it appropriate to abandon the team to go on holiday (the fixture was Liverpool fc, Not Liverpool FC U23’s), he went along and watched them play. Asked permission off the you coach, and gave a pre game speech. Such a consummate professional. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Kudos to Jimmy Milner. Whilst his manager felt it appropriate to abandon the team to go on holiday (the fixture was Liverpool fc, Not Liverpool FC U23’s), he went along and watched them play. Asked permission off the you coach, and gave a pre game speech. Such a consummate professional. 

He probably would have asked to play if he was available. His manager would have been fuming at him

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Should have been in Dubai cheating on his wife and shagging hookers.

Shameful behaviour from a so called "footballer"

• Haha 1

https://www.the42.ie/enda-stevens-sheffield-united-2-4997164-Feb2020/

“From the outside, you probably look at it and think the Premier League is this untouchable place in some ways. But he started at Villa and ended up in League Two with Portsmouth in the space of three years, so Enda knows nothing is certain,” Keegan begins.

“He realises how quickly things can change or be taken away, I think having that fear in you of realising that drives you on even more.

A good read into the career of Enda Stevens.

• 2 weeks later...

Article about footballers and depression with plenty of quotes about Ashley Westwood and his time at VP. Kinda makes me feel embarrassed about our fans to be honest.

The lessons we must learn from Ashley Westwood's troubling Aston Villa revelations

Aston Villa opinion | To avoid criticism is unreasonable, but when it is approaching harmful levels, the case of Ashley Westwood at Villa shows that it pays to keep quiet.

Former Aston Villa player Ashley Westwood opened up on the struggles he encountered during the late stages of his Villa career shortly before moving to Burnley.

“It was only when I joined Burnley that I realised how bad a place I was in,” said Westwood, speaking to the Telegraph about his time at Villa. “I’d keep it all inside, locked away, trying to show a hard face but my wife knew I was unhappy.

“We had a little group of us who’d have a drink after a game. I’d have a carafe of red wine but it’d end up being two bottles. I wouldn’t say I was turning into an alcoholic but I was never really a player who’d drink."

"I’d never drink in the house but now I didn’t want to go out. I’d get home after getting beat and didn’t want to be seen out because fans would turn on you and I’d end up drinking red wine at home.

"Rebecca was really worried about me at times. She’d ask: ‘Are you all right?’. And I’d just say: ‘Yeah, I’m fine’. But I wasn’t.

"It was an instant release coming to Burnley.”

There are players who are worshipped on the terraces of the Holte End. Gabby Agbonlahor's every 'good deed' was serenaded with Karma Chameleon - or therabouts. Jack Grealish and John McGinn cannot cover an inch of grass without being cheered on. Paul McGrath and Alan McInally are never forgotten, while a sombre tune remembers Dalian Atkinson and Ugo Ehiogu.

Players are there to be worshipped, but there is give and take. Not every single player is a great, not every single player will have their efforts rewarded. As many heroes fill the hall of fame at Villa, there are forgotten players, and infamous figures.

That's why it becomes rather eye-opening when a player like Ashley Westwood opens up on just how bad he felt - and partly because of fan criticism.

Simply put, Westwood didn't feel comfortable living his life to the full because of the chances he'd be accosted by a fan with a bone to pick.

That's why it becomes rather eye-opening when a player like Ashley Westwood opens up on just how bad he felt - and partly because of fan criticism.

Simply put, Westwood didn't feel comfortable living his life to the full because of the chances he'd be accosted by a fan with a bone to pick.

Of course, if we consider the great balance of things, bad must follow the good. It's only natural that some players are disliked and critiqued while others are praised, but maybe it doesn't have to be that way?

Maybe there is room for silence, and that the process of fan culture and the worship of players doesn't necessarily need a waste pipe, to spit out opinions and critiques.

There's a common misconception that a critique is a sign of intelligent and reasonable debate - and that a negative thought is a critical one. This isn't always true, and we needn't seek negative or opposite opinions to distill or equalise positive ones.

Sometimes, we can leave it alone. Westwood didn't deserve to feel as bad as he did. That's not right, and that's on our shoulders as fans.

That doesn't mean we are silenced or censored, but footballing debate takes place in an ever expanding public sphere that is possibly in danger of suffocating players - who can't tune out.

Debate doesn't just happen in the corners of pubs, or on the terraces anymore. It actively involves players.

Fans tag them in criticism, and are happy to bring up playing errors of certain players in the comment section of holiday snaps. It can be overwhelming for them.

RELATED ARTICLES

Players just like Westwood - who felt better gulping down red wine at home than enjoying themselves outside, just in case they were held to account for the crime of being average.

It brings to mind a drunken Darron Gibson, swaying between tidbits as cameras were pointed into his face with sunken truths spilling out of him. This is the unwanted endgame of the fan/player relationship - them and their career held hostage in a nightclub so that the 'why's' can be answered in the dim lit dingy corners and sticky floors of an escape.

No answer is ever going to be satisfying enough, though.

It's very easy to sit and scream 'snowflake' in the face of a person discussing his feelings (well, type it - it's a faux online bravery), but wouldn't we rather accept the difficulties caused by our misjudged and misplaced criticism, rather than melting away the characters who weave this narrative tapestry for us?

Football isn't football without you, them and us. Perhaps if we think before we speak, type, touch or text we can avoid causing some serious damage.

Clicky

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It was pretty clear at the time how his confidence was crushed here.

Wesley might have ended up the same if he didn't get injured, but he seems to be pretty strong mentally.

Hourihane would have definitely suffered the same fate if he didn't have the occasional goal or assists to keep the wolves at bay for a while.

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

El Ghazi is the one we have now who doesn't deserve half the stick he gets and is a confidence player.  Usually labeled lazy despite running himself into the ground most weeks also.

That's the one that grates on me. If you're not John McGinn or running around like a headless chicken like Trez you're "lazy",, an ironically lazy criticism.

He's easily the best winger we've had at the club since Albrighton, not a lot of competition there granted, but you're not going to find anyone better than him for the meagre £5m we paid for him and he's been steadily improving. Would it hurt to lay off the guy ffs.

• Like 1

I think people do forget these are people and not robots, like at transfer windows demanding instant signings. These players have wives and kids cant be uprooted at drop of a hat.

As for the Westwood thing i was never a fan though I dont think I ever personally abused him but its easy to abuse players now on Twitter and its disgraceful but any inbred can go online now. I see the Premier League are doing a mental health campaign and I saw some players are starting to come off Twitter which will be good for them. Wesley thread is scary that I be scared to see what Twitter or Facebook is like.

I have to point out we are not the only fans that are like this, this is mostly through the Premier League. Arsenal Fan TV being the prime example

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think people do forget these are people and not robots, like at transfer windows demanding instant signings. These players have wives and kids cant be uprooted at drop of a hat.

As for the Westwood thing i was never a fan though I dont think I ever personally abused him but its easy to abuse players now on Twitter and its disgraceful but any inbred can go online now. I see the Premier League are doing a mental health campaign and I saw some players are starting to come off Twitter which will be good for them. Wesley thread is scary that I be scared to see what Twitter or Facebook is like.

I have to point out we are not the only fans that are like this, this is mostly through the Premier League. Arsenal Fan TV being the prime example

Evidently Burnley fans aren't like this. Some clubs, usually the smaller ones just have a more jovial,, patient fanbase.

Â