The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Gueye having a medical at PSG

TOM FOX WAS RIGHT! sign unknown players from the continent then sell them on for massive fees

The only decent buy from that shit storm of a season and we sold him for less than we paid, for another club to then sell on at a massive profit

4 hours ago, sne said:

John Carew just sold his Miami flat for £1.7 m to ex NFL player Rob "Gronk" Gronkowski

We get a mention in the LA Times

Retirement seems to be going well for Rob Gronkowski. A few months after selling his Boston penthouse for $2.3 million, the former Patriots star has picked up a condo in Miami for $1.7 million.

He bought the sleek pad from retired soccer star John Carew, who played with Aston Villa and the Norwegian national team during his career.

https://www.latimes.com/business/real-estate/story/2019-07-29/rob-gronkowski-buys-miami-condo-john-carew

• Like 1

Darren Bent made some interesting comments today about his Villa transfer. Saying he didnt really want to leave Sunderland but then he made his mind up and they forced him to hand in a transfer request just before signing the contract so they didnt look so bad

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Enda. I remember when we signed him for about a tenner from which league of ireland side that I was hoping he could be a left sided Seamus Coleman who Everton got for 10k.

Remember he came in and played a few games under Lambert (think he might've started the Bradford horror first leg?) but obviously premier league was a bit too much for him at that stage.

He's gone down the leagues, grafted and come up with Sheffield United  and now looks every inch a good attacking wing back at this level. Fair play to him and Robbo who's been a good championship attacker for many seasons.

On Tammy btw, I wasn't sure on him coming back but we could certainly do with him as an option now to rotate with Wesley. Chelsea transfer ban really worked against us as I think they'd have sold if they could've got players in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Enda. I remember when we signed him for about a tenner from which league of ireland side that I was hoping he could be a left sided Seamus Coleman who Everton got for 10k.

Remember he came in and played a few games under Lambert (think he might've started the Bradford horror first leg?) but obviously premier league was a bit too much for him at that stage.

He's gone down the leagues, grafted and come up with Sheffield United  and now looks every inch a good attacking wing back at this level. Fair play to him and Robbo who's been a good championship attacker for many seasons.

On Tammy btw, I wasn't sure on him coming back but we could certainly do with him as an option now to rotate with Wesley. Chelsea transfer ban really worked against us as I think they'd have sold if they could've got players in.

Joe Bennett played the Bradford games. We had so many shit full backs though so hard to describe

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Joe Bennett played the Bradford games. We had so many shit full backs though so hard to describe

Just checked and it was Southampton at home which was lost 1-0 inbetween the Bradford legs he started.

Actually looking at soccerbase he played way more games than the 1-2 I thought he had that season. Came on at Sunderland in the 1-0 win for Lichaj who's another forgotten FB and then started games v Man. United, Man. City and Arsenal in that November (we actually kept a clean sheet v Arsenal with back 4 of him-Clark-Lowton-Lichaj). Then got injured and played two games in January 2013. Went on loan to Notts County and Doncaster the next season and that was it for his Villa career.

Â