Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I think Gardner has the talent to be whatver kind of midfielder he wants to be, but at times i thought he was playing within himself yesterday. Or perhaps he was told to do a job.

McLeish instructed him to wear a snorkel and go diving for clams... He was so deep at times against Wigan i rarely seen him get past the half way line disgusting really

I really do fear our current crop of young players, are becoming worse players under McLeish, Bannan-restricted,Albrighton,Gardner etc.. Its like McLeish is sucking the life and creativity out of them.. Really hope they dont all become flops.

He certainly isn't helping them that's for sure.

Gardner should play without so many shackles placed on him. He best asset is attacking and making forward runs into the box. Against Wigan and City it seems he didn't have the licence to that. Hope McLiesh doesn't knock whats best about his game, out of him.

I think we got a glimpse of what Gardner is all about when he came on for a short period vs Newcastle.

I really do fear our current crop of young players, are becoming worse players under McLeish, Bannan-restricted,Albrighton,Gardner etc.. Its like McLeish is sucking the life and creativity out of them.. Really hope they dont all become flops.

He certainly isn't helping them that's for sure.

I think we may be overrating some of them; Bannan I don’t think is as good as some make it. Albrighton isn’t being helped by the fact that he’s the only ‘winger’ we have at the club. Last season it seemed to help massively that Downing and Young were around. With Gardner he’s got too much weight to carry around. I don’t think McLeish will ruin him; from what I ve seen he’s too good. What McLeish is doing is not helping the cause.

I would say their undoubted lack of ability is a pretty biig reason their not performing

I would say that trying to learn your game in a losing team that's lacking confidence makes their job doubly difficult. It's hard enough for youngsters to come in and shine in good teams. Having to do it in a bad team where you're getting a lot less help than you should be, with the crowd waiting to pounce, is probably a bit of a nightmare even if it is simultaneously a dream come true for them. Thankfully though, the crowd do seem to be allowing Gardner to progress without any real blame being attached to him. Which is the best for all sides.

I would say their undoubted lack of ability is a pretty biig reason their not performing

I would say that trying to learn your game in a losing team that's lacking confidence makes their job doubly difficult. It's hard enough for youngsters to come in and shine in good teams. Having to do it in a bad team where you're getting a lot less help than you should be, with the crowd waiting to pounce, is probably a bit of a nightmare even if it is simultaneously a dream come true for them. Thankfully though, the crowd do seem to be allowing Gardner to progress without any real blame being attached to him. Which is the best for all sides.

No it doesnt help BOF, your right but if they are up to it, then quality will show.

Their just not noticeable in the games - baring a couple of occassions - Gardner v newc or Weimann v Bristol Rovers (think it was). Other than that they are all pretty annonymous for much of the time.

Chris Herd I notice but he obv lacks skill.

Not giving up on them by any means esp with Gardner as its early days, but theyve got to step up for me. This club is surrounded by excuse after excuse (esp when the kids are involved) and we just havent got the time for it.

ATM, from what I have seen we have another bunch of mid-table journeyman at best. Hope I am wrong, but they just are not delivering.

I appreciate its tough for them to deliver, but the premiership is tough - and the best players as well as the future best players will deliver.

No it doesnt help BOF, your right but if they are up to it, then quality will show.

Their just not noticeable in the games - baring a couple of occassions - Gardner v newc or Weimann v Bristol Rovers (think it was). Other than that they are all pretty annonymous for much of the time.

Chris Herd I notice but he obv lacks skill.

Not giving up on them by any means esp with Gardner as its early days, but theyve got to step up for me. This club is surrounded by excuse after excuse (esp when the kids are involved) and we just havent got the time for it.

ATM, from what I have seen we have another bunch of mid-table journeyman at best. Hope I am wrong, but they just are not delivering.

I appreciate its tough for them to deliver, but the premiership is tough - and the best players as well as the future best players will deliver.

How can quality show with the stifling "tactics" that AM/PG impose on the team? For large parts of the Wigan match Villa did nothing more than line up in our own half trying to keep the mighty Wigan away from our goal. There was a large gap between the lone striker and the "wingers" who were being shouted back to defend. Try showing quality under this sort of fearful, negative, suffocating excuse for a football philosophy. Martinez would have had young lads like Gary, Mark, Barry, et al playing fast flowing confident attacking football by now imo.

We aren't short of quality players imo, but we're woefully short of management and coaching ability.

Is this current crop better than the gabby, Cahill, ridgewell, Moore, Davis group when they came through?

I think Clarke and possibly Gardner have a chance at making it, although Gardner is all hype at the moment. Herd, bannan and definitely albrighton are not the level we require if we're going to improve. Accepting mediocrity just because they came through the youth system isn't going to achieve anything IMO.

Is this current crop better than the gabby, Cahill, ridgewell, Moore, Davis group when they came through?

I think Clarke and possibly Gardner have a chance at making it, although Gardner is all hype at the moment. Herd, bannan and definitely albrighton are not the level we require if we're going to improve. Accepting mediocrity just because they came through the youth system isn't going to achieve anything IMO.

I don't agree that Gardner is all hype. Before his injury he played for the England U17's, U19's and U20's all in a 7 month period. He's now in the U21 squad and has been outstanding in the reserves while waiting for a first team oportunity. Gary is the real deal.

I think we are really underestimating them to be honest. Its their first real season in the first team. At a time when there is much upheavel and a lack of confidence throughout the team. I blame the last part on AM. If you think about it they have played at about the same level as Nzog or possibly milner in his first season. Sometimes they just need games under there belt

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell has VT got so bad that we spend our time slagging off our youngsters saying they need to be performing as they've had enough time. I've seen it all now, bloody hell give people a chance most of them have only started a handful of games.

Thought it was a waste of time bringing him one with a few minutes left today but the lad proved me wrong. He did what Petrov couldn't and tested the keeper from outside the box.

Him and Herd could be in a year or two quite a pairing in the middle.

I don't agree that Gardner is all hype. Before his injury he played for the England U17's, U19's and U20's all in a 7 month period. He's now in the U21 squad and has been outstanding in the reserves while waiting for a first team oportunity. Gary is the real deal.

you should definitely not let reserve team football cloud your judgement of how good a player is. Salifou and Osbourne ran that reserve league for a few years.

Gary just needs games now before we can decide how good he will be. What better chance than the rest of the season. We are pretty much safe, time to let them play some football.

The thing is when Gary takes a shot outside the box it hits the target 9 times out of 10. When Petrov takes a shot it hits the target 1 time out of 10....

The number 4 shirt for Gary next season.

Â