Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't get it, does the second loan not count? Did they drop to League 1 during it or something? 

no but I thought the Forest fans werent that impressed second time around. They enjoyed the couple of goals he chipped in with first time around sure. Gestede is aparently good at this level too. My eyes tell me something different though is all. If Gardner had been bought by Lambert instead of coming through the academy we probably wouldnt even be having this conversation.

Bit unfair, all hype, missed 2 years probably crucial years of his development, looked ok last pre season got injured vs Swindon, moved the start of the year got loaned out

when the inevitable happens and he doesn't make it I personally will point my finger at the injuries rather than the hype 

I think a bit of both, and maybe a third thing which was "hope".  Us Villa fans want to enjoy and relish in players coming through the youth and being key players in the first team.  Unfortunately that rarely happens, sometimes a kid has a couple of good games and then fades, sometimes how well he did at youth is expected to translate to first team.  I've just never seen anything at this level from him to suggest he can play for our first team.

16 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

If Gardner had been bought by Lambert instead of coming through the academy we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

This probably sums up a fair chunk of why I think we should give him time - I really do want him to succeed. Based on his performances for Villa it's purely sentimental.

Thankfully I'm not likely to be the manager any time soon.

• Like 2

One thing I've thinking about with regards to Old Gary is around his defensive play. Putting positioning aside which is clearly a weakness but you'd expect that given his lack of experience. 

He seems to do alright at pressing looks relatively fit which I haven't seen in a long time. However when he presses he doesn't seem to pose any threat of winning the ball. He seems to run up to the player and then shield them not wanting to get beat as though he's playing 5 a side. Compare that to Kante (admittedly - master at the craft) who is always trying to unsettled the player and get a foot in. Even his brother was a bleeding lunatic going into challenges and I'm surprised Gary doesn't have more of that in him. It's a key part of the game in CM these days and a big weakeness of his in my eyes. Westwood too come to think of it. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

Injuries or not, doesn't really matter.  He's never shown anything in a senior villa shirt to suggests he can contribute anything useful.  I still remember the disappointment when he played in preseason v Chelsea in Hong Kong under McLeish.  I had such high hopes based on hype.  I've never seen any improvement on that over the years and have no reason to expect any now.  Unfortunate, but there's no room for sentimentality now.

• Like 1

OK, as a fan i should probably follow our kids, but i dont intently. What is Gardener meant to offer, i have heard for 3 years or more that he is a real contender, much better than his brother etc. I have not seen this even in glimpses, whats the story here please?

• Like 2

Dont think hes been great at all but the fact that our fans immediately started tweeting him abuse two games into a season is a bit concerning. He is one of our own and hes never showed anything less than effort and love for the club even when not here or not playing.

Not saying he;ll ever make it here but bit harsh to completely destroy the lads confidence, theres players here much more worthy of abuse than him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

hes never showed anything less than effort and love for the club

I saw a huge lack of effort on Wednesday. Didn't bust a gut to get back at all. The second goal bounces off grealish but at least he gets back. Gardner can be seen just trotting back. Doesn't even make it into our 18 yard area.

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

OK, as a fan i should probably follow our kids, but i dont intently. What is Gardener meant to offer, i have heard for 3 years or more that he is a real contender, much better than his brother etc. I have not seen this even in glimpses, whats the story here please?

As a youngster he was a real box to box player and offered a real threat in final third. Not through great technique or skill but in his great ball striking which he still has and height/size at that age which stood out and made him very effective arriving in the box late and bossing midfield. So he was in the Gerrard/Lampard mould which got people excited. 

Clearly he's had multiple major injuries which have stalled his development in what is really the most important time for a young player. 

Whether it was the injuries or the step up in level he hasn't translated that into the senior game. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I saw a huge lack of effort on Wednesday. Didn't bust a gut to get back at all. The second goal bounces off grealish but at least he gets back. Gardner can be seen just trotting back. Doesn't even make it into our 18 yard area.

Ok well then hes obviously shit and we should all abuse him on twitter until he **** off.

7 hours ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Ok well then hes obviously shit and we should all abuse him on twitter until he **** off.

Seems to be a lot of people putting words in others' mouths on here recently.

You highlighted his effort... I disagreed. You reply with nonsense about us all abusing him on twitter :huh:. Solid debate.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 2

Â