Brad Guzan

R.Bear

He's one of them Blockers from Knightmare, made flesh. You need the password to get past him, otherwise he'll eat you.

Guzanightmare.gif

This should be a banner behind the goal at Villa Park.

Got to give Lambert credit for giving Guzan a second shot. I've been a fan of Guzan's since his MLS days, but never expected this level of goalkeeping from him.

• Like 1

What I want to know is, how on Earth did it get to the stage where he actually left? Weren't the club interested in keeping him here?

i think - based on nothing at all - that we offered him a contract before he left. He took a while off (missing a month's wages means nothing to him) to consider his options.

i think - based on nothing at all - that we offered him a contract before he left. He took a while off (missing a month's wages means nothing to him) to consider his options.

Yeah I'd say it was basically this.

I reckon the contract offer was always there, but it was clear (at that time) that he'd be number 2 to Given. So he looked for offers elsewhere.

The other offers didn't come, or he didn't consider them good enough so opted to stay here and fight.

And lucky for us he did!

He wanted to be a premier league number 1. When Lambert came in he made it clear that he would be an equal to Given, not an automatic number 2 and was very much in his plans. Guzan was convinced, Given had a couple of bad games and now Guzan has really taken his chance. In fact - I can't think of a single keeper in the league I'd rather have at the moment. Guzan has been absolutely exceptional - as a shot stopper, commanding his area and consistent distribution. If he continues like this it won't be long before he's recognised as one of the best in the league. And long may it continue!

As for Given, he's got to go in January or the summer. I don't think Siegrist is ready yet so we should replace Given with a new and significantly cheaper option.

Just to re-iterate, if Given was the type that was happy to sit on his arse and pick up a wage, he'd have done it at City. If we don't play him, I'm sure he'll be off soon enough.

Yes and no.

At Man City he didn't have all that long on his contrct left but he had a few good years left in him at the top. A club came in for him offering very good wages, a very long contract and the promise of first team football. He would be mad not to make the move.

I suspect he won't be getting anything like those sort of offers in the next couple of windows. He still has a big contract here with almost 4 years left on it. I think he would be crazy to take a paycut and a shorter contract at other clubs. All it would take is an injury or loss of form from Guzan and he's back on the team sheet with a big wage and long contract, perfect scenario for him.

Â