Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I remember him in those cup games against Blackburn a few seasons back and getting bullied around by the likes of Samba & co - he really seemed to struggle with the physical side of things.

I don't think he was struggling with the physical side at all in those games. That was a tactical naivety of thinking he could allow the likes of Samba to stand on his toes and crowd his area and just brush them aside when he needed. For the rest of his career he was probably able to do that but he learnt a valuable lesson which should really serve him well.

The guy's a beast. I think he's physically the best keeper in the league (world?)

notsureifserious!!!

:lol: Look, all I'm saying is if an evil billionaire organised a decathlon between the best keepers in the world, Guzan would win by ~500 points. He's a freak of nature.

I'd back Christian Abbiati for that. I reckon he could chuck a shotput about 50 metres.

What happens if/when Guzan makes a bad mistake? Does he get dropped in favour of Given?

I like the fact that Lambert brought him in for the Newcastle game, but a firm number 1 needs to be established, and stood by, over the coming weeks.

Why? Knowing you are going to get dropped if you mess up big time will keep them on their toes and is consistent and fair

Delighted for Brad getting this chance. We always knew he could stop shots, but he now seems to have matured as a man, barking orders at his troops, imposing himself in his area, coming out to take crosses, etc. Also, as stated, he also seems to have learned the dark arts of Premier League keeping. I only hope that when he inevitably has a wobble that he can bounce back and not let it affect him too badly.

Hope this is the start of a decade of dominance for the big man. Still only 27, which for keepers is more or less adolescence.

What happens if/when Guzan makes a bad mistake? Does he get dropped in favour of Given?

I like the fact that Lambert brought him in for the Newcastle game, but a firm number 1 needs to be established, and stood by, over the coming weeks.

Why? Knowing you are going to get dropped if you mess up big time will keep them on their toes and is consistent and fair

You should be dropped if you're making consistent mistakes.

One mistake here or there shouldn't be grounds for immediately being dropped. That would just heap pressure on them and would be detrimental. I can actually say that from experience.

Keepers make occasional mistakes. It happens to all of them.

I like Brad a lot, every great goalkeeper has to be (very) vocal and be able to command the penaltyarea and defense; look at the 90s, arguably greatest goalkeeper in the world was Peter Schmeichel and partly because he took the command and let himself be heard by players.

Given, like Friedel before him, is a 'stay on the line' goalie when it comes to set pieces.

Guzan actually commands his area and claims far more crosses than he misses. He's definitely the best bet, Given is only going to go downhill at his age.

I thin Guzan seemed to have a lot of confidence against Newcastle, possibly because Lambert was true to his word that he'd get a chance this season. But like you say, Guzan has always been busy in the box. I saw an interview with him where he spoke about feeling like a small keeper in games so he tries to be a big presence.

Blose would want silly money! 8m +

Yeah I heard their manager (can't remember his name) on SSN on the phone saying they want £8m or something if I recall, which would mean a 50% price increase since it's us, even though it's only going to go to the legal fee pot for Yeung :lol: - unsure how they rate Butland at the same price as Lloris.

Craig Gordon still has no club, he was a great keeper before the injuries.

Methinks if he keeps the preformances up and stays numero uno until Jan, Given might be out the door... Get someone like Butland in we would have a couple of very good keepers.

Doesn't our very own siegrist have just as much reputation at youth level? Butland has just been groomed through the fa system so they give him more coverage.

Obviously that being said siegrist needs to go out on loan IMO to get some first team experience behind him, as not ready for first team here

As a goalkeeper myself (although obviously not a top standard one!!), you cannot underestimate how much confidence you can give to your defenders by being a commanding presence in your penalty area. Obviously coming to claim crosses, corners, free-kicks into the box is one thing, but also by commanding your penalty area you allow your defence to play 5-10 yards further up the park which means the team are not inviting pressure onto themselves.

Given is a great shot-stopper, one of the best in English football over the last 20 years, but it is his command of the area (or lack of) that has contributed to our poor defensive record. I'm all for Guzan to keep the shirt long-term, he was unlucky to lose it last season IMO.

Not that I disagree about goalkeepers commanding their area.

But our defence was terrible before Given came, when Friedel was in goal. Admittedly Friedel wasn't and isn't amazing at coming for crosses, yet it at one time our defence was excellent with Friedel in goal.

The goalkeeper contributes obviously, but the main reason our defence was crap was because of the defenders, not because of the keeper(s).

Â