Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Personally it was rash. If he'd of stayed up then Suarez was going nowhere. Don't think it was a penalty but he gave the ref a decision to make.

If he stayed up Suarez.. with the form he has been in would have probably found a way to get it past Brad. Who knows really. Brad did the best he could. Suarez is bloody quick.. dont have much time to make a decision in that scenario.

Guzan comes for crosses? :lol: have you honestly watched him play?, like honesssssttttlllyyyy......you can admit it if you havent, we wont hold it against you.

Just had a read  of the first page of this topic, nice to see how much hard work Brad has put in to come from opinions like this to being IMO one of the most commanding keepers in the league.

• Like 2

Still better than Mingolet who looks like a fan Liverpool have drawn out from the Kop.

Harsh, in the few matches I've watched he's been very good. Granted, he's been shaky recently.

Suarez was in on goal , the pass from Gerrard was superb as was the first touch. Guzan has no option but to front him up.

Guzan should have stayed on his feet but like nearly all goal keepers he dived in unnesscessarily and gave away a penalty. Terrible goalkeeping. Just stay on your feet and make the player beat you, don't make it easy for him.

• Like 1

The way I saw it was that Guzan had no chance of getting that ball without fouling Suarez, since Suarez was in complete control of it. It was a foolish and rash challenge, in particular because he should know that Suarez is an expert at getting penalties like that and any contact at all would be duly exploited. 

I agree.

It doesn't excuse the dive, but I do think it was a bit silly for GUzan to go in like that. I don't think he needed to. He could have come out and stood up which would have still closed down the angle.

I'd say it was a small mistake. But again I don't really blame him because it was still a dive. If he hadn't dived we wouldn't be talking about it.

• Like 1

Guzan>Mignolet

I honestly wouldnt swap him for any keeper in the league.

I would. Definitely.

He's still very good though, and I'd put him in the top 5 in the league certainly.

• Like 1

Suarez was in on goal , the pass from Gerrard was superb as was the first touch. Guzan has no option but to front him up.

Guzan should have stayed on his feet but like nearly all goal keepers he dived in unnesscessarily and gave away a penalty. Terrible goalkeeping. Just stay on your feet and make the player beat you, don't make it easy for him.

Bullshit. Staying on your feet makes it easy for a player to slide it under you. He played it almost perfectly and the ref got conned.

• Like 3

Personally it was rash. If he'd of stayed up then Suarez was going nowhere. Don't think it was a penalty but he gave the ref a decision to make.

If he stayed up Suarez.. with the form he has been in would have probably found a way to get it past Brad. Who knows really. Brad did the best he could. Suarez is bloody quick.. dont have much time to make a decision in that scenario.

Very that's very true. 

See the Weiman v Reina incident Carragher used to back up his argument ?

JC appeared not to be able to see the significant difference that Weiman tried to go around him, rather than go right next to him to win a penalty. 'Clever' in the same way people who evade taxes are clever - but nobody pays to watch them - it is a fraud on the paying public and the guy does it over and over and over.

Anyway.

Bullshit. Staying on your feet makes it easy for a player to slide it under you. He played it almost perfectly and the ref got conned.

Agreed. Suarez would not have failed to pick a spot had Guzan stayed up. Coming out forced Suarez wider than he wanted to be. Guzan pulled his arms back when he saw he wasn't getting it, at which point the angle would already have been very difficult for Suarez to score from at speed. Good keeping. Zero to minimal contact apart from Suarez' deliberate trailing leg. The problem is that Suarez is a diving scumbag.

Edited by Laivasse
  • Like 1

Yup, could have stayed on his feet a bit longer though. Still, not going to blame Guzan for not winning that game.

How does a player slide it under you if you are on your feet? Do you mean go through your legs? A keepers legs shouldn't be open enough for a football to fit through and they should be crouched down with their hands low. If the striker it good enough to beat you then fair play to him. Diving in knowing that you are going to hit the player regardless is poor goalkeeping. It just makes it easy for players to win penalites and for refs to send you off.

Suarez would not have failed to pick a spot had Guzan stayed up

Suarez was going away from goal. Carragher showed a clip on MNF of reina staying on his feet and closing down weimann in last years game that showed exactly what a keeper should do.

Edited by villa89

Â