Brad Guzan

R.Bear

He's miles better than Szczesny and Mignolet.

I think Mignolet will be Liverpool number 1 for a while though. he's decent enough and they spent big money on him (for a young keeper)

Arsenal are probably most likely out of the big teams. But I don't think it's anything we need to worry about in the immediate future.

• Like 1

It would be excellent commercially for one of the European giants to have an American in the team. I think it's best to just enjoy it while he's here, predicting which keepers will go where is difficult at the best of times.

He just needs to work on his distribution. He's excellent everywhere else - in addition to what AVFCDAN mentions above he's also great at communicating with the back four and commanding his area. He's nearly the complete package. I'd just like to see a lot fewer goal kicks going straight out for a throw.

I didn't go to the game, but I met the players after they came out of the players exit after the match. I can confirm that Brad Guzan sometimes goes on villatalk, but Andreas Weimann never does. Will upload pics soon.

• Like 1

I think Mignolet will be Liverpool number 1 for a while though. he's decent enough and they spent big money on him (for a young keeper)

Arsenal are probably most likely out of the big teams. But I don't think it's anything we need to worry about in the immediate future.

Now this is the kind of thing that annoys me with forums such as this one, the ever-present overrating of certain individuals. In no way is Guzan miles better than Szczesny or Mignolet. Not a single fan from their teams would take Guzan over them, and no single pundit in the world would say anything close to what you are saying. They are all good goalkeepers, all of them being best at stopping shots, and I would even say Mignolet is above the other two when it comes to that department. None of them are particularly great at distribution, which is very important in my opinion, so that's why none of them are mentioned among the elite goalkeepers in the world or the Premier League for that matter. The level of the goalkeepers in the Premier League is very high in general, switching Guzan with Marhall, Vorm, Boruc, Ruddy, Howard, Krul, Begovic or Stekelenburg wouldn't change anything for us I think - but if De Gea, Cech or Lloris was swapped with someone else they would feel it instantly. Being a goalkeeper for a top team is immensely different from standing in goal for a team that often loses, gets many shots on goal and often ship in two at the back during a weekend. How many times don't we see a player like Guzan or Marshall get MoTM even though the team lost 3-0? If Hart or De Gea ship in one decent shot and they lose, they always get the blame or big tabloids thrown at them. Every time Guzan makes a mistake, nothing is written - but when Joe Hart loses a soft goal it's a huge problem. It's easier to look great for Aston Villa or Norwich, compared to Man City and Liverpool.

Guzan is safe, he is dependable, he is consistent - just like 10-12 other goalkeepers are in the Premier League. He is, however, not even close to being one of the best. Ask anyone supporting a team in the bottom 10 and they'll most likely tell you that their goalkeeper is top 3 in the league.

Opinions ey?

Miles was probably the wrong word. But still, guzan is better than szczesny and mignolet.

And plenty pundits and fans have said just that.

I never said Guzan was as good as De gea or lloris, because he isn't.

I've only said guzan is in the tier of keepers just below the elite of the premier league. And fwiw I think he's very near the top of that second tier.

Sorry if that annoys you.

Edited by Stevo985

Apparently you didn't see the article that claims he's got the best distribution in the league.

You can shape the perception of the word distribution in many ways though. Passing 15 yards to the nearest player is easy, do that a hundred times in a row and you get a perfect score of course. However, distribution is about setting the ball in play as fast as you can when you get a good opportunity, throwing the ball 50 yards right on the path of the winger, playing 60 yard Xavi-esque passes to create an attack out of nothing is something just a few goalkeepers are capable of doing, and I have never seen Guzan dominate in that area. The best goalkeepers almost acts as sweepers in that regard, for me Guzan either plays it short or just kicks it upfield with an upcoming 50/50 header between our striker and their defender.

Opinions ey?

Miles was probably the wrong word. But still, guzan is better than szczesny and mignolet.

I've only said guzan is in the tier of keepers just below the elite of the premier league. And fwiw I think he's very near the top of that second tier.

No no, didn't annoy me, but the first description was a bit rosy. I just remembered it from last season, so many were talking about Westwood, Lowton, Guzan, Benteke and so on being exceptionally good and definitely top 5 in the league in their departments, often coming after certain good games, but we all know the reality is a bit different when they aren't having the best days. This season Lowton is barely getting games and the woeful Bacuna is chosen instead of him, even though he cannot defend for his life, so superlatives are being thrown around a bit hastily IMO.

As for Guzan, I too agree that he is a very good goalkeeper, just like many others in this league.

Now this is the kind of thing that annoys me with forums such as this one, the ever-present overrating of certain individuals. In no way is Guzan miles better than Szczesny or Mignolet. Not a single fan from their teams would take Guzan over them, and no single pundit in the world would say anything close to what you are saying. They are all good goalkeepers, all of them being best at stopping shots, and I would even say Mignolet is above the other two when it comes to that department. None of them are particularly great at distribution, which is very important in my opinion, so that's why none of them are mentioned among the elite goalkeepers in the world or the Premier League for that matter. The level of the goalkeepers in the Premier League is very high in general, switching Guzan with Marhall, Vorm, Boruc, Ruddy, Howard, Krul, Begovic or Stekelenburg wouldn't change anything for us I think - but if De Gea, Cech or Lloris was swapped with someone else they would feel it instantly. Being a goalkeeper for a top team is immensely different from standing in goal for a team that often loses, gets many shots on goal and often ship in two at the back during a weekend. How many times don't we see a player like Guzan or Marshall get MoTM even though the team lost 3-0? If Hart or De Gea ship in one decent shot and they lose, they always get the blame or big tabloids thrown at them. Every time Guzan makes a mistake, nothing is written - but when Joe Hart loses a soft goal it's a huge problem. It's easier to look great for Aston Villa or Norwich, compared to Man City and Liverpool.

Guzan is safe, he is dependable, he is consistent - just like 10-12 other goalkeepers are in the Premier League. He is, however, not even close to being one of the best. Ask anyone supporting a team in the bottom 10 and they'll most likely tell you that their goalkeeper is top 3 in the league.

So what annoys you about forums like this is people having differing opinions to your own? Bit strange to be honest.

I too am in the category that believes Guzan is one of the top keepers in the league, as Stevo said, sorry if it annoys you.

As for his distribution, his target is pretty much always Benteke and he pretty much always gets it straight towards his noggin'.

Opinions ey?

No no, didn't annoy me, but the first description was a bit rosy. I just remembered it from last season, so many were talking about Westwood, Lowton, Guzan, Benteke and so on being exceptionally good and definitely top 5 in the league in their departments, often coming after certain good games, but we all know the reality is a bit different when they aren't having the best days. This season Lowton is barely getting games and the woeful Bacuna is chosen instead of him, even though he cannot defend for his life, so superlatives are being thrown around a bit hastily IMO.

As for Guzan, I too agree that he is a very good goalkeeper, just like many others in this league.

you literally said it annoyed you, hence my comment.

You seem to be rating anyone who isn't exceptional in goal (De gea, cech, hart, lloris) pretty much the same.

Which is fine.

I'm distinguishing and I would out Guzan as potentially the best of the rest.

Meh. A lot gets made of his 'amazing distribution' and how quick he is off his line, but he's just eccentric with it tbh. He was world-class last year but has dropped off a tad this.

I do think people focus on him being quick off his line too much. But there's a lot more to his game than that. And he's excellent at pretty much all of it.

Best keeper in the league. IMO of course.

Â