Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

tonyh29

Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

• Vandal
    • Hero

Stefan Gatward has been wrestling with inner turmoil ever since the Birmingham city council began removing the apostrophes from the city’s signs this January.

Finally, his frustration was too much to bear, and Stefan took it upon himself to fix the signs. But he didn’t stop there …

He will not join the ‘five items or less’ queue at the supermarket, in protest that the sign should read ‘five items or fewer’.

He also gets annoyed when people-neglect the ‘Royal’ in ‘Royal Tunbridge Wells’, and was vexed when he saw a major chain store advertising sales with signs saying ‘until stocks last’ rather than ‘while stocks last’.

‘I fought for the preservation of our heritage and our language but some people seem happy to let that go. I’m not,’ he said.

Hi Stefan and welcome to Villatalk

It seems to be quite widespread to completely drop apostrophes from signs.

One of those ghastly new Tesco Metros, that continue to multiply like some sort of bacteria, has a huge sign inviting the public to "see whats in store".

I briefly considered sending them a letter in which I could chastise them, but considered that their reply would rape our language to the extent that I'd implode due to impotent outrage.

"‘until stocks last’ rather than ‘while stocks last’"

/\ That's another level of wrong. That just doesn't make sense. Everyone should have a problem with what is piss poor use of the language.

I keep seeing sings near where I live alerting people to a regular "Car Boot" at the Rugby Club.

:twisted:

Presumably when one gets there there is not just a car boot on display, but perhaps a car boot sale going on?

Also, on our intranet at work, we have a couple of helpdesks to deal with IT related problems.

The link to these is called Helpdesk's :lol:

Â