Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

tonyh29

Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

• Vandal
    • Hero

I'd say OCD sufferer.

This.

Anyway, Vandal, without a shadow of a doubt. Language is always in constant transformation, try speaking "proper English" in the 13th century.

"‘until stocks last’ rather than ‘while stocks last’"

/\ That's another level of wrong. That just doesn't make sense. Everyone should have a problem with what is piss poor use of the language.

"These will be sold until stocks last."

"These will be sold only while stocks last."

Both make sense to me.

It makes no sense legov, my good man. No sense at all; "we'll sell something, until we keep selling something". It's gibberish.

Huh? We were talking about "while stocks last" not "keep selling something"

It makes no sense legov, my good man. No sense at all; "we'll sell something, until we keep selling something". It's gibberish.

Huh? We were talking about "while stocks last" not "keep selling something"

"While stocks last" makes sense, it's "These will be sold until stocks last" that doesn't; it would be like saying "we'll sell something, until we keep selling something"

"‘until stocks last’ rather than ‘while stocks last’"

/\ That's another level of wrong. That just doesn't make sense. Everyone should have a problem with what is piss poor use of the language.

"These will be sold until stocks last."

"These will be sold only while stocks last."

Both make sense to me.

That's unfortunate. But I'm not giving out lessons :)

To be fair, English doesn't make much sense anyway. I remember reading somewhere that it's the hardest language to learn if you're not a native speaker, thanks to the myriad of contradictory rules.

Yep. The guy who refuses to queue in the "five items or less" is a prick. If you want to know why, you probably have to listen to the whole thing. You can kinda skip the first ten minutes if you really have to, but then you are at home at 9pm on a Friday night so I'm guessing that like me you dont have anything better to do! :lol:

*edit*

listening to it again, the rant starts at about 18 minutes.

Yep. The guy who refuses to queue in the "five items or less" is a prick. If you want to know why, you probably have to listen to the whole thing. You can kinda skip the first ten minutes if you really have to, but then you are at home at 9pm on a Friday night so I'm guessing that like me you dont have anything better to do! :lol:

*edit*

listening to it again, the rant starts at about 18 minutes.

Stephen Fry accusing somebody of being rude and haughty, and showing off their superior knowledge?

Â