Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

tonyh29

Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Punctuation Hero or Vandalizing Grammar Nazi?

• Vandal
    • Hero

Much though I like Stephen Fry, I don't think he does. It would appear that he goes too far in the opposite direction, possibly as a result of his attempts to prove to himself that he has been fully unburdened of his own self-confessed inclinations towards pedantry.

As a reformed pedant (or rather, an almost reformed pedant), he becomes the worst kind of anti-pedant: one that seeks to caricature the pedants as all of the worst kind, as killers of enjoyment of language; one that dismisses all parts of their argument as naturally untrue, not because they necessarily are (though they can be) but that they need to be (untrue) to support his own argument, and one that mistakenly lauds all of those whose grammar, punctuation, &c. isn't up to scratch as part of a great movement helping the evolution of language.

I think it's fine not to know things (see my lack of knowledge about conjunctions and independent clauses exposed in the Murdoch Scum thread) but not really fine to not care* about not knowing (a point he makes but confines to specific areas). Wilde left his publishers to correct the thats, whiches, shoulds, &c.; he didn't leave a note telling them he didn't care.

I think it's fine to question rules and accepted usage, to experiment, to push boundaries and to push change but not to present the ignorance of those rules and that usage as necessarily part of the process of the progression of language especially if, as I infer he is suggesting, pedantry is not.

Lastly, I also think it's fine to make mistakes. We all do. :D

*Yes, that was intentional.

• Like 1

What if the shop is owned by a Mr or Mrs Chriss?

Shouldn't it be "Chriss' " ?

My suggestions would be (assuming the format: [owner]'s sarnies):

[table]

[row][col]Owner[col]Shop name

[row][col]Chris[col]Chris's Sarnies

[row][col]Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Chriss[col]Chriss's Sarnies

[row][col]Mr and Mrs Chriss[col]Chrisses' Sarnies

[/table]

I'm sure there will be disagreements with the above, though.

Much though I like Stephen Fry, I don't think he does. It would appear that he goes too far in the opposite direction, possibly as a result of his attempts to prove to himself that he has been fully unburdened of his own self-confessed inclinations towards pedantry.

As a reformed pedant (or rather, an almost reformed pedant), he becomes the worst kind of anti-pedant: one that seeks to caricature the pedants as all of the worst kind, as killers of enjoyment of language; one that dismisses all parts of their argument as naturally untrue, not because they necessarily are (though they can be) but that they need to be (untrue) to support his own argument, and one that mistakenly lauds all of those whose grammar, punctuation, &c. isn't up to scratch as part of a great movement helping the evolution of language.

I think it's fine not to know things (see my lack of knowledge about conjunctions and independent clauses exposed in the Murdoch Scum thread) but not really fine to not care* about not knowing (a point he makes but confines to specific areas). Wilde left his publishers to correct the thats, whiches, shoulds, &c.; he didn't leave a note telling them he didn't care.

I think it's fine to question rules and accepted usage, to experiment, to push boundaries and to push change but not to present the ignorance of those rules and that usage as necessarily part of the process of the progression of language especially if, as I infer he is suggesting, pedantry is not.

Lastly, I also think it's fine to make mistakes. We all do. :D

*Yes, that was intentional.

I've always maintained that as long as every party in a conversation understands each other it's alright. The rules are there to facilitate this, not provide fodder for (pointless) arguments. :P

Really simple actually.

Actual label on a packet of (Taiwan-manufactured) flour I saw in a store today.

This product is insured for NT20 million dollars against responsibility. It is safe to eat.

[table]

[/table]

I remember being taught that you can drop the "s" and just use a possessive apostrophe in cases where the owner's name ended in "s" (ergo "Chris' Sarnies"), but then again I did attend Primary school in Scotland and as such was also taught that the Earth is flat and virgins can be burnt to improve harvesting.

[table]

[/table]

I remember being taught that you can drop the "s" and just use a possessive apostrophe in cases where the owner's name ended in "s" (ergo "Chris' Sarnies"), but then again I did attend Primary school in Scotland and as such was also taught that the Earth is flat and virgins can be burnt to improve harvesting.

I wondered who would be first. :angry: :winkold:

I think I was taught that, too.

I was also taught later to think about it phonetically and that if the second s were to be pronounced (e.g. Odysseus's journey) to put it as s's and if not (e.g. Ulysses' journey) then just s'.

Perhaps it suggests that it's not hard and fast; it should be what feels comfortable and, to a degree, makes sense.

[table]

[/table]

I wondered who would be first. :angry: :winkold:

I think I was taught that, too.

I was also taught later to think about it phonetically and that if the second s were to be pronounced (e.g. Odysseus's journey) to put it as s's and if not (e.g. Ulysses' journey) then just s'.

Perhaps it suggests that it's not hard and fast; it should be what feels comfortable and, to a degree, makes sense.

I was taught that you always put an 's' on words such as "Chris's". This makes sense to me as the 's make an "iz" sound which would be absent if it wasn't there. The exception to the rule is if the original word already ends in an "iz" sound, in which case it isn't required, eg "Wayne Bridges' girlfriend shagged John Terry." The extra s in this case would make it Wayne Bridgesiz, which just sounds wrong.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
35 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

This was you wasnt it, @StefanAVFC?

Can’t be him , he’d have been changing the sign to “ nonce family waste of tax payers money Tunbridge Wells “ 😛

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Can’t be him , he’d have been changing the sign to “ nonce family waste of tax payers money Tunbridge Wells “ 😛

*Turnbridge Well's

Edited by fightoffyour

Timely thread resurrection.  Yesterday some clearing in the woods at work quoted something I'd sent them near-verbatim for an email forward (we have to use a SPOC for outbound communication, but they are routinely awful and shouldn't really be sending verbatim quotes out anyway), they went to the lengths of formatting it "like this" to make it absolutely clear it was a quote, then the **** moron decided to insert an erroneous comma in one of my sentences.  Livid.  Absolutely livid.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

we have to use a SPOC for outbound communication

I had to use the “look up” thingy on my phone to find out what that is.

it said “Are you a sex worker with questions about the laws and the effects on your work and life?”

what exactly do you do ? 😊

• Haha 1

Â