Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't understand the negative response to Given. Before he went to City he was probably the best keeper in the league and is 5 years younger than Friedel who was excellent but not as good as Given a couple of years back. The wages I'm sure won't be as high as suggested but I'd love Given at Villa. Better than Green, Foster, Al-habsi, Guzan etc etc.

I think he's a good, solid keeper but I would seriously doubt those figures.

Given is so keen to move away for first team action that he'll only go if his wages are matched? Doesn't ring true to me.

I think he's a good, solid keeper but I would seriously doubt those figures.

Given is so keen to move away for first team action that he'll only go if his wages are matched? Doesn't ring true to me.

Agreed, he is stepping down for first team football, he has to have a wage cut. Indoubt we would pay £85k anyway.

Obviously the wages are outrageous, but we're certainly not too good for Shay Given, he's a very good keeper for a team headed for 8th/10th. Foster's rumoured price is too steep and the other keepers we've been linked with aren't as good as Given.

2 years we would be able to get out of him. he is a completely different build to that of friedel and van de sar, heavier and more solidly built. he wont be as agile, his body takes more of a beating and keeping the weight off will be harder.

add in an injury which has been on off for a long time and i have my doubts.

a good shot stopper like friedel, but again someone who sticks to his line and hopes the defenders clear the ball instead of coming for it.

it wouldnt be the worst signing, however unless we gave him a 4 year contract i cant see him being interested.

we would be bloody stupid giving someone of that age and injury history a 4 year contract, especially as we will probably have to pay him 50k per week

we are trying to clear away the sick and the lame, especially the ones on high money, we dont need to add to it unless it is a 2 year contract, with the option of a rolling 12 month extension.

Last week I wrote...

Ok, at the risk of tarnishing my reputation forever...

I just popped downstairs at work to grab the Friday morning bacon sandwich when the guy next to me in the queue is a friend of mine from another department. He is a big villa fan and long time STH holder. We're talking the usual doom and gloom when I asked if he thought we'd bring Foster in. He smiled and said he had it on very good authority we were bringing Shay Given in. He said one of his best mates is mates with him he's on his way here.

Of course its another 'friend of a a friend ITK story' but thought I'd share it anyway.

8)

Nice TV! I might approve your RPS for that ;)

FWIW I think it would be agreat signing, but £85k per week is a LOT of money. If we can get those wages down then go for it.

Definitely prefer Foster to Given. But, he's a good keeper so, I'd be O.K with it. No moe no less.

And there is NO chance we'll be paying him £80k a week. We could, but we wont.

£85k a week will be a problem, how much do you reckon the noses are paying Foster? £25k? £30k?

We could give Foster a £1m a year pay rise and it still be half of what Given is getting.

Cheers stevo!!

Last week I wrote...

Ok, at the risk of tarnishing my reputation forever...

I just popped downstairs at work to grab the Friday morning bacon sandwich when the guy next to me in the queue is a friend of mine from another department. He is a big villa fan and long time STH holder. We're talking the usual doom and gloom when I asked if he thought we'd bring Foster in. He smiled and said he had it on very good authority we were bringing Shay Given in. He said one of his best mates is mates with him he's on his way here.

Of course its another 'friend of a a friend ITK story' but thought I'd share it anyway.

8)

Well done with the scoop Neil!

Can't see us breaking the wage structure for him though. I'm sure he'll have to take a cut in wages but at 35 will possibly like playing rather than bench warming at Man City.

Neil Moxley of the Daily Hail has tweeted this morning:

Neil_Moxley_DM

So know you know #avfc fans. 'Eck chasing Shay Given. Great start. And I think it will happen.

1 hour ago

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

There is willingness on both sides to do Given deal. From player and #avfc. So let's see...

1 hour ago