Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Given is a very good goalkeeper. Always has been always will be. If he is injury free and available we should sign him. He has experience, he knows what the premier league is all about and has been consistent all the way through. If he came here I would be happy and have confidence in our goalkeeper as long as he is injury free. I'm sure if there are any problems in the medical we won't risk signing him on a long term deal. I say get him in!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just go back to Tim Abraham's tweet...warning everyone to be patient.

PF is on honeymoon until the weekend, so things may not happen with any transfers until next week.

Tim Abraham got that from here, because i mentioned it on a previous thread, it was in response to the shite that was on Twitter in regards to Avram Grant joining, where he was scheduled to meet Faulkner, but Faulkner is away until the 7th.

Is he an improvement on Friedel...yes!

What's the problem? If he wants 1st team football, he lowers his wage demands, if he just wants the cash, he stays where he is...not rocket science.

Exactly, we could do a hell of a lot worse then Given... ie Green and etc.

I still think Given is a top class goalkeeper, despite a shoulder injury and a season warming the bench.

2 years ago it wouldn't have been a shock to see Given go to a team like Arsenal or Chelsea. This is the type of player we should be going for.

I don't remember him being terrible at commanding his area, but maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to him. Either way, he is an excellent shot stopper and, on numerous occasions, earned Man City points that they wouldn't have had without him between the sticks.

If we can get him for £4m and can knock his wages down a bit, I'll be happy. However, if he's on stupidly high wages, I'd prefer us to spend more on the transfer fee and bring in Foster on lower wages and a longer contract.

I know a lot of people are completely down about McLeish and believe he is useless as a manager but he certainly has shown he can pick a keeper - Jo Hart, Ben Foster, now Shay Given.

Wouldn't be a bad start, although it is now to be expected that a proportion of posters will pile in to criticise any signing on principle.

The fee and wages should be no concern for fans - it's for the club to know what they can afford and make sure they are paying sustainable amounts.

Would have to disagree , Friedel is by far the better keeper

I'd probably take Given over Green but thats about it

Would have to disagree , Friedel is by far the better keeper

I'd probably take Given over Green but thats about it

Have you watched any Premier League football in the last 10 years?

:winkold:

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

#MCFC goalkeeper Shay Given is definitely one of those under consideration by #AVFC boss Alex McLeish to replace Brad Friedel as number one.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

The major obstacle for #AVFC signing Given - as with any player leaving #MCFC these days - is reaching agreement on wages.

Latest from our friend Tim.

Solid keeper with a great attitude. Would be a very good signing.

I am shocked to see the odd Villa fan underrating him but I shouldn’t really be! Reminds me of the same fans turning their noses up at Rafa and Mark Hughes then nearly shitting themselves when McLeish got the job! :twisted:

FFS Given is the best keeper we can get!

Why is it when a fan has an opinion on Given do people automatically assume it has anything to do with McLeish? I don't like McLeish but am willing to back him however my views on Given have **** all to do with McLeish, it's the simple fact i don't think he commands his box and sticks to his line but i'll be happily proved wrong.