Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he an improvement on Friedel...yes!

Would have to disagree , Friedel is by far the better keeper

I'd probably take Given over Green but thats about it

Have you watched any Premier League football in the last 10 years?

:winkold:

yep and coincidently Friedel was also voted best Keeper in the prem during that time by many a pundit :-)

Why is it when a fan has an opinion on Given do people automatically assume it has anything to do with McLeish? I don't like McLeish but am willing to back him however my views on Given have **** all to do with McLeish, it's the simple fact i don't think he commands his box and sticks to his line but i'll be happily proved wrong.

Its because they know that they are always right, and we are wrong :lol:

I thought the days of signing over the hill players had gone with Doug?

Whether he can do a capable job is missing the point that it is short term, which points to no long term team planning, and we wont get a return on our outlay for him, which kind of contradicts Randy's stance on wages :shock:

Would rather we sign an young up and coming keeper, and build around him.

I don't think Villa are in any kind of position to take a chance on a young or unproven goalkeeper from overseas. We just can't risk it not coming off. We need to sign a proven experienced goalkeepr of which SG fits the bill perfectly.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

#MCFC goalkeeper Shay Given is definitely one of those under consideration by #AVFC boss Alex McLeish to replace Brad Friedel as number one.

The major obstacle for #AVFC signing Given - as with any player leaving #MCFC these days - is reaching agreement on wages.

Latest from our friend Tim.

Are we friends again now? :winkold:

Foster is a good call too. But will blow about £10m. Is he really that much better than Gilks too?

Thats the thing. If we want to progress, we have to spend that type of cash just to compete.

Was there not a rumour that we will throw in Guzan on any deal with the unwashed?

Given WAS a good keeper, but was a player we should of been signing ten years ago!!!

Its just not good economics! :D

I'm going along with the he's not terrible but not as good as people say.

Wouldn't mind him, rather him then Green or Foster at 12mish and I also think he's better then Friedel. However I want a keeper who commands his area and even with a small wage cut he'd be one of our highest earners. Also he's not injury prone but his shoulder injury worries me, it could very easily keep returning meaning we'd have a keeper out for several games a season if this was the case.

Why is it when a fan has an opinion on Given do people automatically assume it has anything to do with McLeish? I don't like McLeish but am willing to back him however my views on Given have **** all to do with McLeish, it's the simple fact i don't think he commands his box and sticks to his line but i'll be happily proved wrong.

Whether he can do a capable job is missing the point that it is short term, which points to no long term team planning, and we wont get a return on our outlay for him, which kind of contradicts Randy's stance on wages :shock:

I accept your point on buying players who will increase in value but Randy has not openly stated that this is our strategy?

The important points here are

1.) We do not have a senior goalkeeper at our club.

2.) Given is only 35

3.) His wages are something to be negotiated by the board and should not overly concern the fans

4.) He is a solid keeper and would be literally a safe pair of hands!

#MCFC goalkeeper Shay Given is definitely one of those under consideration by #AVFC boss Alex McLeish to replace Brad Friedel as number one.

The major obstacle for #AVFC signing Given - as with any player leaving #MCFC these days - is reaching agreement on wages.

Apologies for yesterday, always were pals, just like being honest mate. So whats the chances of this one happening?

FFS Given is the best keeper we can get!
He really isn't.
No, he is'nt......but he is'nt the worst either.

That is true. I would be capable of reconciling the signing of Given with the mantra "At least it wasn't Rob Green".

I accept your point on buying players who will increase in value but Randy has not openly stated that this is our strategy?

The important points here are

1.) We do not have a senior goalkeeper at our club.

2.) Given is only 35

3.) His wages are something to be negotiated by the board and should not overly concern the fans

4.) He is a solid keeper and would be literally a safe pair of hands!

Randy does not seem to say much about anything, so its left to us to assume.....rightly or wrongly.

No argument's with your points, and if he signed i will back him. But we should be signing younger players, for the reasons i said above.

Now if you were to say Foster and Given, i will be over the moon, but i cant see Given coming to swap the Man City bench with ours.

Also, considering his shoulder problems, age, and general fitness, we will be looking for another keeper at any time soon.

Which will be 5 million plus wages of around 60K down the swanny.

Apologies for yesterday, always were pals, just like being honest mate. So whats the chances of this one happening?

Depends on Given and in particular what he wants with wages and/or whether an agreement can be reached with Citeh.. McLeish has definitely put the feelers out though.