Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we HAVE to sign old and infirm keepers, can't we sign Mark Shwarzer from Fulham instead? Won't cost us five million or be on 85k a week.

we should've signed him from boro

Good call.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rob Green signed.

I cannot believe we would pay £5m for Shay Given who is 35 and then make him the clubs highest paid player. Far better to pay £8m for Ben Foster and pay him £40k per week. He's a better keeper, the deal would be cheaper over say a four year contract and he has resale value.

Daily Mail bull shite IMO

Can ppl please stop comparing Given with the likes of Foster and Gomez.

While i agree the fee and wage are too high Given is and has been one of the best Gk's in premier league history.

If he was to stay injury free and play at the same level he has until Joe Hart came along he would be an epic signing for us.

I think its the one position where age and experience more important than anywhere else.

I'd be happy with this signing... he is a solid keeper who was generally considered the best in the league when he went and joined Man City. And to be fair he did nothing wrong whilst he was there... he simply isn't number 1 now because Man City are preparing for the futuer and had a great understudy in Hart.

Admittedly there is the argument that we should also be planning for the future but right now I think we need stability and experience to steady the ship. I don't want us to bring in a 20 year old Carson who might be a liability. With Given you know what you are getting, and we would be getting a very good Premiership keeper for the next year to two which is what we need.

However, £5m for a 35 year old? No thanks... Half the fee and half the wages and I'd be very happy.

p.s. - really surprised to read the number of people on here who would not want him. Perhaps we should remind ourselves that we aren't a top 5 club right now and won't be able to attract top 5 players. Given almost falls into the category... he is a good realistic target who shouldnt really be written off.

Check out the economists on this site. Chill out lads, go to bed and worry about something real.

We may sign Given but not at 5mill and not on 85k a week. It may happen one day that we give a signing 85k, but it won't be Shay! In terms of him as a goalie, FWIW, we could do a lot worse.

Not for me. The old cliche of 'he's a good shot stopper' is perfect for him. Doesn't command the box and poor at crosses. One of the most overrated keepers ever.

And if the fee really is £5m? Oh dear.

Not for me. The old cliche of 'he's a good shot stopper' is perfect for him. Doesn't command the box and poor at crosses. One of the most overrated keepers ever.

And if the fee really is £5m? Oh dear.

Exactly my position on this too.

THough in all honesty we are going to be linked to every keeper under the sun until will actually sign one so I suspect this is just the usual bullshit.

I think it's lazy journalism bollocks. Betting suspended on Given going to Villa, arguably, then he puts a spin of his own by sensationalising the fee and salary. Given ain't bad, but isn't THAT good either.

No thankyou.

Very short term, and with no sell on price when he pisses off. If this is a sign of the bright future, then someone has lost their marbles!

Sign Foster and put the extra £30,000 a week towards his wages, instead of spunking it up the wall on a has been.

Saying that, its proberly bull 8)