Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Well done with the scoop Neil!

Can't see us breaking the wage structure for him though. I'm sure he'll have to take a cut in wages but at 35 will possibly like playing rather than bench warming at Man City.

Neil Moxley of the Daily Hail has tweeted this morning:

Neil_Moxley_DM

So know you know #avfc fans. 'Eck chasing Shay Given. Great start. And I think it will happen.

1 hour ago

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

There is willingness on both sides to do Given deal. From player and #avfc. So let's see...

1 hour ago

I'm sure some journalists think they get commission for every deal they talk about.

That said, would love Given here, and I think it would be a fantastic first signing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe the negative reaction to this.

Experienced premier league goalkeeper, not at all 'dodgy', highly rated by fans at every team he's played for (including Man City where he doesn't play regularly), would probably walk into 75% of other teams in the league, was rated as one of the best goalkeepers in the league up until last year when Joe Hart came on the scene.

Add to this that he will probably take a pay-cut to come to us, which shows a hunger to actually play football.

This is an absolute no brainer.

Also can't believe that we as fans complain that the club won't spend big money and won't pay big wages to compete, and then when its suggested we all say "we should pay that much for him"!

For me, if we got Given, it would be fantastic start to the 're-building' under McCleish.

Slightly surprised by the barely luke warm reaction to this one.

Appears to me that this is the same reaction to every single name linked to us at the moment. Some likey, some no likey.

You have to remember also there were people on this site saying Milner was overpriced and average and that Downing was rubbish, and others of us suggesting that Stephen Ireland was the player who would unlock the door to top 4 for us.

Can someone tell me how the **** are we trimming down the wage bill if we're willing to pay that much for a GK?

Its just speculation / bullshit article.

Theres no way we'd pay those wages IMKO

Exactly.

We would have just given Brad a new contract if we were willing to spend massive wages on an old keeper.

Slightly surprised by the barely luke warm reaction to this one.

Appears to me that this is the same reaction to every single name linked to us at the moment. Some likey, some no likey.

You have to remember also there were people on this site saying Milner was overpriced and average and that Downing was rubbish, and others of us suggesting that Stephen Ireland was the player who would unlock the door to top 4 for us.

I guess so.

Perhaps other people have seen something wrong with Given that I've not picked up. But as far as I'm concerned, he went to City as one of the 3 best 'keepers in the premiership and has done little wrong since, except for picking up a shoulder injury.

Like Nzogbia, this deal just makes perfect sense and would represent a very solid start to the transfer window.

Given knows he won't get 85k here. Those figures are bullshit.

And I'd also like to know who all these goalies are who command their boxes? I honestly can't think of many in the modern game who regularly claim crosses.

This is an absolute no brainer.

No its not. Not for the money being mentioned anyway!

But this is what I don't understand. Clubs are paying over the odds throughout the league, and villa fans complain that we don't compete.

And we seem to be going for what in my eyes is the best goalkeepers possibly available to us (I think he is better than Foster and Green, and experience counts for alot), and everyone is complaining!

I have no doubt that the people in charge of the club know what is affordable and what is not. If they are prepared to pay it, thats their choice, I for one won't complain if we pay over the odds to sign a bloody good player!

Does it not also send a message that we can sign good players and pay top wages? Granted he's not a player who is going to cause a rush of season ticket sales, but if I was a player at the club or player potentially coming to the club, this would signing would certainly encourage me.

He's a top keeper, with a lot of international caps coming from a Champions League team.....he's going to be on a high wage, and I wouldn't have a problem with us paying them. He will save us a lot of points over the course of a season, a great keeper.

We have to remember that this bloke was top class last time he played regularly, so much so it was a genuine toss up who would play between him and Hart (Whom I believe to be one of the best in the world).

Forget the 'does not come off his line' comments, he is fantastic at what he does, which is keeping the ball out of the net. Lets face it, this mythical goalkeeper who is as good a shot stopper AND controls his area, would not be interested in coming here. This bloke is a free agent and knows the division inside out too.

Foster does have the potential to be better but we all know what that means, should he live up to his ability in a few years he'll be off. Id rather sign someone (like big brad) who is at the peak of his game, that we will get the best years from.

A great solid signing!

This bloke is a free agent and knows the division inside out too.

I'm afriad not.

Ignoring the fact you had 3 words to write and still managed to screw yours up :), maybe i could have phrased it better myself.

I know contractually he is not free but as has been reported he will in all likely hood be leaving this summer, thus 'available to talk to'.

I think this signing will be very, very good. It looks like its a move thats very much on, so I can see this happening relatively quickly.

FWIW if we have an on-form back 5 of Shay Given, Luke Young, James Collins, Dunney, Warnock then its not looking bad at all.......... replace ashley with someone like NZogbia and were not looking bad next season..... a topcalss midfielder wouldnt go amiss either.......

Can't believe the negative reaction to this.

I can.

People have convinced themselves we're doomed and nothing is going to change that mindset.

Haven't got time to listen just now but the great Ron Saunders has finally done an interview about Alex McCleish's appointment on OS looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I think signing Shay Given will be a very good first signing. He's surely on a par with Friedel but younger.

I'll just go back to Tim Abraham's tweet...warning everyone to be patient.

PF is on honeymoon until the weekend, so things may not happen with any transfers until next week.